Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm about to order Hyundai's Short Ram Intake for my '07 Accent. It seems like a pretty simple installation. Out with the old and in with the new. It's been a while since I frequented the forum so I am a bit out of tune with the pitfalls of working on our little Accent. Any words of wisdom would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

-- Boris

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
Do the 2007 use a MAF unlike the later Accents that use a MAP? If so, you'll need an intake designed to accomodate the MAF.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Dont buy it

hyundai-short ram intake- 250$

Go to autozone/advanceauto etc etc.

1-90 degree Intake pipe - 8$
1- 45 degree intake pipe 8$
1- 3 inch coupling- 5$
1- 2.5 to 3inch coupling adapter- 5$
1- Air filter of choice- 25$

Remove the airbox, Dismount the ECU. Ziptie the ECU to the side. insert pipes. put couplings on, tighten. Close hood, start car, rev engine, drive around happily.

·
Registered
339 Posts
do you have pics of these parts? and the install??

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think my '07 Accent uses a MAP sensor but I am not sure. It's been a while so I can't remember. The reason I say I think it has a MAP is that it has to deduce the air flow from the pressure and from there adjust the fuel injectors, etc. Reading pressure is easier and cheaper than reading flow. That is what I remember.

The reason I was going with the Hyundai/AEM version is because the tubing is more than a bent pipe with a crooked H logo on it. The tubing is specially designed to resonate at a frequency and air flow rate for the little 1.6L engine. So what we (I) are supposedly paying for is the engineering work Hyundai did in design and testing vs. making something that fits. A home brew version would cost much less but give much less benefit despite the similar physical appearance. Am I way far off here?

-- Boris

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
QUOTE (Powered by PopTarts @ Oct 16 2010, 07:32 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=363952
I think my '07 Accent uses a MAP sensor but I am not sure. It's been a while so I can't remember. The reason I say I think it has a MAP is that it has to deduce the air flow from the pressure and from there adjust the fuel injectors, etc. Reading pressure is easier and cheaper than reading flow. That is what I remember.

The reason I was going with the Hyundai/AEM version is because the tubing is more than a bent pipe with a crooked H logo on it. The tubing is specially designed to resonate at a frequency and air flow rate for the little 1.6L engine. So what we (I) are supposedly paying for is the engineering work Hyundai did in design and testing vs. making something that fits. A home brew version would cost much less but give much less benefit despite the similar physical appearance. Am I way far off here?

-- Boris
No, there's quite a bit of engineering that goes on on expensive intakes. Volume and velocity have to be accounted for, not only pipe size and lenght. That said, on a stock, low power engine it might not make a big difference between a custom built intake.

MAP, note the different intake tube and airbox between the two

MAF

·
Registered
98 Posts
also guys, I have the AEM intake offered by hyundai dealers and i recently got a look inside the piping and noticed some imperfections inside. Looks like some of the welds for the little vacuum line weren't fully smoothed over on the inside of the pipe. Personally, I would recommend the one from KFX. It's exactly the same just w/out a heat shield AND the one from AEM doesn't have a hyundai logo on it :(. just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
QUOTE (Jarret @ Oct 16 2010, 05:32 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=363939
Dont buy it

hyundai-short ram intake- 250$

Go to autozone/advanceauto etc etc.

1-90 degree Intake pipe - 8$
1- 45 degree intake pipe 8$
1- 3 inch coupling- 5$
1- 2.5 to 3inch coupling adapter- 5$
1- Air filter of choice- 25$

Remove the airbox, Dismount the ECU. Ziptie the ECU to the side. insert pipes. put couplings on, tighten. Close hood, start car, rev engine, drive around happily.
you would still need a pcv filter or you can drill it to the intake pipe and seal it make sure you do unplug the battery and after installation plug the battery back in and let the car run for 5 min so is getting used to more air flow

·
Registered
4,624 Posts
QUOTE (Tenrilid @ Jan 11 2011, 04:04 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=389736
also guys, I have the AEM intake offered by hyundai dealers and i recently got a look inside the piping and noticed some imperfections inside. Looks like some of the welds for the little vacuum line weren't fully smoothed over on the inside of the pipe. Personally, I would recommend the one from KFX. It's exactly the same just w/out a heat shield AND the one from AEM doesn't have a hyundai logo on it :(. just my 2 cents.
Uh, mine has both AEM and Hyundai seals on it. And a CARB sticker on it.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Oh, what I meant was that it didn't have the "H" logo painted on it like in a lot of the pics. Mine has the little silver sticker w/ the hyundai logo and carb cert details on it but the main logo on it is AEM. Now as for the vacuum line to the intake piping, just put a crankcase breather filter on the valve cover. The actual PCV thingie is routed to the intake manifold and that's where you can install the hoses to an oil catch can. I made my own catch can w/ parts from home depot :).

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Don't forget the other nice thing about the AEM setup from Hyundai. You will get a bracket that you can mount your ECU so that it won't wobble. It's an all in one solution kit.

-- Boris

·
Registered
78 Posts
QUOTE (Powered by PopTarts @ Jan 12 2011, 12:07 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=390077
Don't forget the other nice thing about the AEM setup from Hyundai. You will get a bracket that you can mount your ECU so that it won't wobble. It's an all in one solution kit.

-- Boris
I was about to say that. That heat shield is a pretty nice touch. Not sure if non-AEMs have the vibration mount either.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Instead of starting a new thread, I figured I'd throw in my question in here,

Since I have the MAF sensor on my 06, will I be OK running a cone filter with heatshield attached at the end of the MAF sensor like some proposed or would I be better off distancing the two with a pipe of some sort ?
I'm not sure those filters are oiled or not, but I wouldn't want to have issues with limpmode or check engine light because of that.

Can anyone weigh in who would have a more technical knowledge or has successfully set up an SRI on their MAF equipped Accents?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts