Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I've owned my new 2013 Santa Fe Sport for six months or so, during that time period I have ensured everything is topped up and working as efficiently as possible.
Recently, however- I noticed that the temp.gauge read at about 1/2, which is abnormal as the Santa Fe had run around 1/4 temp. At first I believed it could have been due to the warm temperatures, but that was not the case as it still retains this high temp. I checked for signs of a blown headgasket and saw nothing, and looked for leaks which also brought up nothing. This had me stumped, as the coolant reservoir was at the full line. I have yet to check the coolant inside the radiator, which I'd like to do tonight.

Has anyone else experienced this, and what was the cause?

-Jason.

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
In warm weather the engine temp can reach as high as 220 to 230 degrees in stop and go driving depending upon the temperature that the engine coolant fans kick on. If you are using the a/c the engine temp will be lower as a fan is often running to pull air through the a/c condenser. At steady speeds air is being forced through the radiator so the engine temp will be lower.

On my 2015 with the digital cluster the engine temperature is normally between the 1/4 and 1/2, but I run the a/c compressor most of the time. I would not consider 1/2 as being abnormal on any vehicle. Not sure what that half way point actually indicates but I would guess around 220 degrees....There are some Hyundai Techs lurking who can probably provide a good idea of the temperature that the fans cycle at with the a/c off as well as what that halfway point actually represents.

·
Banned
7,039 Posts
Hello,

I've owned my new 2013 Santa Fe Sport for six months or so, during that time period I have ensured everything is topped up and working as efficiently as possible.
Recently, however- I noticed that the temp.gauge read at about 1/2, which is abnormal as the Santa Fe had run around 1/4 temp. At first I believed it could have been due to the warm temperatures, but that was not the case as it still retains this high temp. I checked for signs of a blown headgasket and saw nothing, and looked for leaks which also brought up nothing. This had me stumped, as the coolant reservoir was at the full line. I have yet to check the coolant inside the radiator, which I'd like to do tonight.

-Jason.
You are chasing a ghost....

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
I'd try a new thermostat, they're not expensive.
Stick with OEM. Many aftermarket are junk.

·
Registered
8,184 Posts
Find out what the ECT is telling the ECU first through an ODBII reader. Hyundai temp gauges are for driver serenity only and not an actual indication of the engine temp......

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
Actually they are an indicator. They are not calibrated for accuracy but they do provide a reasonable assessment of what is going on. Now some mechanical failures may not be readily detected on the gauge. A slow leak could allow the coolant level to drop enough so that some sensors will be sensing air instead of coolant and they read low when the engine is actually running hot. As with engine oil levels, coolant levels should generally be visually checked weekly or at least occasionally.....

·
Registered
8,184 Posts
Hook up a scan tool and see how the actual temp corresponds to the gauge movement. The Gen Coupe gauge is pathetic and only good for, it's too cold (under 140F), it's just right(160-220F with no movement) and it's too hot(over 230F). They would be better off with the red and blue temp indicators the my Accent has.

If you are relying on accurate info, the OE gauge is not for you.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
I've found that while dash gauges are not very accurate they are generally repeatable.
If the OP has been getting the same reading for months and now it's different it's likely the running temp has changed.
Possible the gage has become sticky.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Hello,

-Jason.

Again...

https://www.hyundai-forums.com/dm-2013-santa-fe/292042-read-before-creating-new-thread.html

1 - 9 of 9 Posts