Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. I am about to take delivery of a new Getz 1.4L 3 Door.

I read on another forum that the Getz is prone to inside front left tyre wear [for those of us who drive on the left hand side of the road]. This problem was described as being quite common with the Getz.

Apparently there is no camber adjustment on the Getz. Somebody on the other forum suggested running the front tyres at 38 psi to help prevent wear and others suggested fitting Bridgestones as soon as possible after taking delivery.

I had something of a similar problem with my Land Rover Defender which came fitted with Michelins. On a straight open road it would veer to the left even if being driven down the centre line, or even to the right of the centre line. Multiple wheel alignments and balancings were not able to fix the problem. The Defender, like the Getz, has no camber adjustment and my problem with the Defender was attributed to that. Yet, the problem was instantly fixed when the original Michelins wore out and were replaced by Bridgestones.

I've tried searching the Getz Forum for information about this issue but have not struck gold.

Even though I am yet to take delivery of my new Getz, I would appreciate advice about this problem [if it really does exist!].

·
1,462 Posts
QUOTE (gregz getz @ Nov 6 2010, 04:48 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=369429
Hi. I am about to take delivery of a new Getz 1.4L 3 Door.

I read on another forum that the Getz is prone to inside front left tyre wear [for those of us who drive on the left hand side of the road]. This problem was described as being quite common with the Getz.

Apparently there is no camber adjustment on the Getz. Somebody on the other forum suggested running the front tyres at 38 psi to help prevent wear and others suggested fitting Bridgestones as soon as possible after taking delivery.

I had something of a similar problem with my Land Rover Defender which came fitted with Michelins. On a straight open road it would veer to the left even if being driven down the centre line, or even to the right of the centre line. Multiple wheel alignments and balancings were not able to fix the problem. The Defender, like the Getz, has no camber adjustment and my problem with the Defender was attributed to that. Yet, the problem was instantly fixed when the original Michelins wore out and were replaced by Bridgestones.

I've tried searching the Getz Forum for information about this issue but have not struck gold.

Even though I am yet to take delivery of my new Getz, I would appreciate advice about this problem [if it really does exist!].

You are right. The Getz does not have camber/caster adjusment. Just toe adjustment.

Inner side tire wear means one of two things happening. Either toe adjusment is to wide (open track) or camber is out of drop angle.

Better to take your Getz to an alignment service so you can pinpoint what is really going on. If its toe adjustment, then its easy. If its camber, then it means some part (lower arm, strut of balljoints) got whacked out of alignment. Worst case scenario is have to replace a lower arm (or both) or a strut (or both).

The alignment service guys will tell you if the balljoints need replacement, which is very easy to do (by them).

Overinflating the tires is not a good idea. You will only get rougher drive and will increase the wear pattern, besides loosing some grip. Have you ever tried a panic braking with overinflated tires, under wet conditions? It is quite scary.

Robert B.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for your reply Robert B. I haven't taken delivery of my Getz just yet. It is still on a boat coming from Korea.

On another forum, I read that inner front tyre wear is a common problem with a new Getz fitted with Hankook Tyres.

1] I was wanting to determine if it is common problem, and

2] I was wondering if there is a a recommendation for a different brand of tyres once the factory fitted tyres are worn.

·
Registered
35 Posts
QUOTE (gregz getz @ Nov 7 2010, 11:41 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=369594
Thanks for your reply Robert B. I haven't taken delivery of my Getz just yet. It is still on a boat coming from Korea.

On another forum, I read that inner front tyre wear is a common problem with a new Getz fitted with Hankook Tyres.

1] I was wanting to determine if it is common problem, and

2] I was wondering if there is a a recommendation for a different brand of tyres once the factory fitted tyres are worn.
We have two Getz in the family purchased new one month apart in 2004.The car I drive the tyres were replaced at 56000 klms and still had some wear left in them with no abnormal wear on them .Our daughter drives the other one. It only has 48000klms on it and still on the original tyres.There is no abnormal wear on them either.
The only thing Iam very carefull with is regularly check tyre pressures with a known accurate pressure gauge and run them at the recommended pressures.Allways check them after a service. Our cars allways came back from the local Hyundai dealer with the tyre pressures at over 40 psi.Since switching to a local garage we don't have that problem.
Hope that info helps.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for that, engineer. May I ask if you have stuck with the factory fitted tyres, or have you swapped brands?

·
Registered
35 Posts
QUOTE (gregz getz @ Nov 7 2010, 01:45 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=369610
Thanks for that, engineer. May I ask if you have stuck with the factory fitted tyres, or have you swapped brands?
I dressed the old girl up a bit with a set of 15 inch rims and 195/50R15 XENON lower profile tyres from Bob Jane T marts.The car looks better with the larger rims.Had a wheel alignment at the time and only needed some minor adjustment.Not to bad after six years.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
QUOTE (engineern6719 @ Nov 7 2010, 08:03 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=369642
I dressed the old girl up a bit with a set of 15 inch rims and 195/50R15 XENON lower profile tyres from Bob Jane T marts.The car looks better with the larger rims.Had a wheel alignment at the time and only needed some minor adjustment.Not to bad after six years.
Thanks again, engineer. Does that mean you have had 6 years from a single set up Bob Jane XENON low profile tyres on 15" rims after replacing the original factory fitted tyres and rims? I doubt that I will be changing rims but would like to get some idea of the mileage I can expect out of a set of tyres.

·
Registered
35 Posts
QUOTE (gregz getz @ Nov 9 2010, 08:52 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=370017
Thanks again, engineer. Does that mean you ha ve had 6 years from a single set up Bob Jane XENON low profile tyres on 15" rims after replacing the original factory fitted tyres and rims? I doubt that I will be changing rims but would like to get some idea of the mileage I can expect out of a set of tyres.
No the original Hankook tyres with 14inch rims were on the car for 56000 klms. They were removed and the 15 inch rims fitted about 6 months ago.Sorry if there was any misunderstanding.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi

I have a 2007 Getz 1.5crtd on standard rims which wears the front O/S tyre on the inside edge (we drive on the left). N/S tyre wear is normal.

Tracking has been tested OK, pressure at recommended 32psi, and been like it since new.
I have tried a couple of makes incl Pirelli & Hankook (which lasted 8000 miles before all tread gone!) I now use budget and rotate the tyres every few 1000 miles to get a bit more wear.

The car is still under warranty so if there is something they can do I will take it to dealer, I thought it was a design fault which we had to put up with :(

Cheers
Tim

·
Registered
35 Posts
QUOTE (GetzTim @ Nov 9 2010, 11:32 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=370125
Hi

I have a 2007 Getz 1.5crtd on standard rims which wears the front O/S tyre on the inside edge (we drive on the left). N/S tyre wear is normal.

Tracking has been tested OK, pressure at recommended 32psi, and been like it since new.
I have tried a couple of makes incl Pirelli & Hankook (which lasted 8000 miles before all tread gone!) I now use budget and rotate the tyres every few 1000 miles to get a bit more wear.

The car is still under warranty so if there is something they can do I will take it to dealer, I thought it was a design fault which we had to put up with :(

Cheers
Tim
8000 miles seems very low mileage for a set of tyres.As I said in a previous post we have two Getz in our family .One set of tyres were changed at56000 klms and weren't even down to the wear limit indicators.The other car has 48000 klms on the original tyres and still has another 5000klms left before I think they will need changing.
To me I would be investigating your tyre wear a bit more thoroughly and seeing its still under warranty take it back to the dealer.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts