Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just a word of advice, especially if you live in high salt areas, you should probably take down your spare tire 2 to 3 times a year, and I definitely recommend greasing the thread on the spare tire carrier. I am already on my third one. They are cheap to replace but if you find yourself breaking them on the highway while changing a tire, you could be in a word of trouble...Two have snapped on me due to rust, and the third would no longer turn (again due to rust). The third one I first tried getting to come off with ratchets, a monkey wrench' and tons of elbow grease...in the end I had to take a Dewalt Sawzell (reciprocating saw) with a metal attachment to the spare tire carrier. I have pictures of the carrier which was subsequently crushed from the initial attempt at loosening it with the monkey wrench. So seeing as its summer, take 10 minutes to lower your carrier and grease up those threads to keep it from rusting and to keep you from having to take it out via power tools.

Attachments

·
Registered
107 Posts
Very good point, a must to incorporate in regular maintemance. Mine is five years old and is holding up well but with some signs of rust, a good lube helps prevent problems when in need of the spare. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
85 Posts
2003 Santa Fe spare tire carrier

I thought I'd reply to this even though it's very old.

I'm a new Santa Fe owner and I love the car. I have experienced the spare tire threaded bolt situation described above. Unfortunately, my problem is a bit bigger. The entire carrier is rusted out to the point where I can put my hand through what used to be the metal plate (I think the previous owner brought kayaks on a trailer and so the back end of the car might have gotten dipped a few times). I don't trust it to hold a spare. I've been looking around but haven't found much in the way of replacements for this. I notice that there are 4 components - the carrier, the holder (J-hook), the spacer and the bolt. On two different websites, I noticed that the holder and spacer are an absurd $48 EACH. The bolt is reasonable at $6 and the carrier is about $65. I wish Hyundai was smart enough to use a stainless bolt in an area that would clearly be an issue with the elements. I almost think it should have been a recall since if this lets go, all **** can break loose on the road.

I am wondering where I can find parts to replace this. Is there a good online store out there or am I on my own and at the mercy of eBay?

Thanks in advance. :)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Great Tip - I've never removed my spare, but I will give it a shot this weekend. Will have to break out the lube, since I'm in Chicagoland.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts