Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,884 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm not sure if I don't understand, or the car is just quirky? At times, (half, maybe?) when I unlock using the fob, it is still locked...I can lock/unlock and it has no effect? I have to use the key at that point...is it me, programming, or a gremlin? :wallbash: Thanks!

·
Registered
2,884 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
...my thoughts, it's most likely an aftermarket fob and doesn't look exactly the same to the car's computer at times. I changed the battery...it's doing okay so far! :whistling:

·
Registered
176 Posts
Those are the symptoms my wife had when her battery started to die in the OEM fob. Trunk wouldn't open, doors got touchy. She waited for the car to not start before she said anything. You should be fine.

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
Had same issue with mine, replaced battery and all was well in the world again..... well at least the driveway :)

·
Registered
2,884 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It must me an after-market replacement...at times, it will lock me out and I have to use the key!

·
Registered
2,884 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Does it happen when it’s cold because I have issues with my key fob in the early am
No, the fob is always warm...it beeps, but I'm locked-out! Unlock again, clicks...nothing! Lock-unlock, still nothing! It always sounds like it's working! Maybe the car sees it as an "illegal" attempt to open the car, and locks-out?
I can only guess...luckily, it doesn't always happen. :blush:

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
I do not see how the car will receive the unlock signal and accept it(since it beeps) but still deny access thinking it is "illegal" attempt. More likely the solenoid to unlock the door is sticking or malfunctioning. If the car is RESPONDING with beep and flash of lights, then the issue is not with the fob or car, but instead the mechanism that unlocks the door.
Try this:
1) ensure all doors are locked
2) press unlock and make sure the lights flash and car beeps
3) attempt to open driver door
3a) IF the driver door doesn't open because it is locked still, try another door on the car
3b) IF the other door opens, then fault is with lock mechanism on the driver door
3c) IF the other door does not open, then issue could be with the fob sending a lock signal instead of an unlock signal or both at once or is otherwise malfunctioning. You could, if confident with circuitry, test the circuits on the fob to ensure they are not shorting out on each other and/or sending signal at the same time. This seems to be a less likely scenario but is possible. Alternatively, the issue could be wiring in the car door/lock or computer issue which takes more effort to diagnose if you are up to it.
You can then try to see if dealership can help diagnose which would cost ya.

·
Registered
2,884 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Try this:
1) ensure all doors are locked
2) press unlock and make sure the lights flash and car beeps
3) attempt to open driver door
3a) IF the driver door doesn't open because it is locked still, try another door on the car
3b) IF the other door opens, then fault is with lock mechanism on the driver door
3c) IF the other door does not open, then issue could be with the fob sending a lock signal instead of an unlock signal or both at once or is otherwise malfunctioning. You could, if confident with circuitry, test the circuits on the fob to ensure they are not shorting out on each other and/or sending signal at the same time. This seems to be a less likely scenario but is possible. Alternatively, the issue could be wiring in the car door/lock or computer issue which takes more effort to diagnose if you are up to it.
You can then try to see if dealership can help diagnose which would cost ya.
I'll try to be more concise:
Car is locked most times by pressing the "lock" on the door as I exit (I will try using the fob to lock FTHOI)
Unlock using the fob, car beeps twice, and you hear the solenoids.
None of the doors unlock.
Lock/unlock, all is heard correctly, still locked.
Open with key.

Thanks for your effort though! :nerd:

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
Watch the lock on the door handle through the window when you hit unlock. Do you see it unlock and then lock itself again? If the solenoids are responding with the proper unlock, but ALL of the doors remain locked, then you have a nearly impossible problem of all four doors lock mechanisms intermittently failing at the same time. I know on my car that when I unlock the doors, but do not open them withing ~ 30-seconds or so, they lock themselves again.

·
Registered
2,884 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I know on my car that when I unlock the doors, but do not open them within ~ 30-seconds or so, they lock themselves again.
Maybe this is it? But it seems like less time than 30 seconds! After that time, do you have to use the key? Thanks!

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
Maybe this is it? But it seems like less time than 30 seconds! After that time, do you have to use the key? Thanks!
After they re-lock I AM able to unlock with the key or door handle button. So this could only partially address your situation.

·
Registered
2,884 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I'm on to something...I have a remote start! When it functioned the car beeped once and the car was locked...I got in the car (never heard it start) and I saw the tach! I will have to read-up on how it works...since I bought it from a private party I wasn't informed.

·
Registered
2,884 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
It's an Avital remote start fob...previous owner either didn't know (I'm the 4th) or didn't tell me. It was the owner's son who sold me the car, so maybe he didn't know.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts