Hyundai Forums banner
21 - 40 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
427 Posts
If the caliper is not releasing completely on one side the brake pad could be dragging creating a groan or boing sound as it fully releases. Some of the Hyundai cars have a brake caliper that has sliding parts and a slight rust build up can cause the caliper to hang up and not release properly when coming off of braking as when you are starting to getting going again. If it happens only when turning left it could be a caliper on the left. If it is happening when turning right it could be a caliper on the right hand side of the car.
If it is none of these things maybe you have a gremlin or a mischievous spirit living in your car's machinery.
A defective brake hose can also cause a caliper to bind up.

·
Registered
427 Posts
I can't imagine what could be making a "boing" sound either (whatever that means). I am just guessing based on what you describe as the symptoms of your problem (happens during braking, the radio volume thing, getting progressively worse, etc). Nobody knows what it is, but you seem pretty sure of what it isn't. Hopefully, the mechanics at Hyundai have better imaginations.

·
Registered
‘22 Tucson Limited PHEV, Deep Sea Blue & Charcoal
511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
I can't imagine what could be making a "boing" sound either (whatever that means). I am just guessing based on what you describe as the symptoms of your problem (happens during braking, the radio volume thing, getting progressively worse, etc). Nobody knows what it is, but you seem pretty sure of what it isn't. Hopefully, the mechanics at Hyundai have better imaginations.
Does NOT happen during braking, happens accelerating FROM a stop and exacerbated when steering as when turning into an intersection from a stop. I haven't heard it at any other time, driving along, slowing, stopping, coasting, etc.

I'll be sure to let you know how the tech describes the sound....

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
So, had my appointment today. It did it pretty loudly at all 5 turns from home to the dealer at which I had to stop before turning.

They found nothing (they put 18 miles on the car; I'm fairly certain it's the first time their PHEV-certified tech has actually had a chance to see and drive one since they aren't sold in my state). I offered to go over and take him for a drive but they didn't take me up on it.

When I went back I didn't say boo because first I wanted to make sure it did it before I said, "see, listen here ya go". So, of course all the way home it didn't do it. Since they had turned the a/c off, at first I wondered if it maybe was with the a/c engaged, but that didn't seem to prove out. So, I'll see how it is tomorrow.

And, with 3,600 miles on the car they covered the first oil change and filter under the Hyundai service plan and told me next free service will be at 16,000. I don't know who decides this but I've read a lot of people on here were refused a first service for free with less than 7,000 miles.

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Does NOT happen during braking, happens accelerating FROM a stop and exacerbated when steering as when turning into an intersection from a stop. I haven't heard it at any other time, driving along, slowing, stopping, coasting, etc.

I'll be sure to let you know how the tech describes the sound....
So I took the car back yesterday and the service manager went for a ride with me and heard the noise. They wanted me to bring it in today so he and the shop foreman along with the factory rep could diagnose it. They just told me it’s the rear diff coupling, which has to be ordered, but that it’s safe to drive, as I’ve got a 250 trip Friday and Monday. I’m not 100% confident a rear diff coupler issue is that safe…
So I took the car back yesterday and the service manager went for a ride with me and heard the noise. They wanted me to bring it in today so he and the shop foreman along with the factory rep could diagnose it. They just told me it’s the rear diff coupling, which has to be ordered, but that it’s safe to drive, as I’ve got a 250 trip Friday and Monday. I’m not 100% confident a rear diff coupler issue is that safe…

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·

So I just got home and Googled rear differential coupler and it seems this is a very common issue on Toyota RAV4s, the whine coming from the rear diff coupler.

·
Registered
2022 Tucson
448 Posts
And, with 3,600 miles on the car they covered the first oil change and filter under the Hyundai service plan and told me next free service will be at 16,000. I don't know who decides this but I've read a lot of people on here were refused a first service for free with less than 7,000 miles.
If like my dealer they give you a free oil change whenever you want one. But it gets deducted from the maximum you get. My dealer was very upfront about it, I could pay for the 2,500 oil change (I did) and then go on the regular cycle the next one being at 8,000 miles for free. Or I could have used one of my free ones now and have one less down the road.

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
If like my dealer they give you a free oil change whenever you want one. But it gets deducted from the maximum you get. My dealer was very upfront about it, I could pay for the 2,500 oil change (I did) and then go on the regular cycle the next one being at 8,000 miles for free. Or I could have used one of my free ones now and have one less down the road.
That flexibility kinda makes too much sense for auto mfrs and dealers… 🫠

·
Registered
2022 Tucson
448 Posts
That flexibility kinda makes too much sense for auto mfrs and dealers… 🫠
It gets better. The full Synthetic Amalie oil change was less than if I went to drive through places here. (Except Pep Boys not literally a drive through but cost is the same as dealer and both rotate tires, the others do not)

Downside you have to plan ahead, took 3 weeks for an oil change appointment though a real problem they can do sooner.

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
It gets better. The full Synthetic Amalie oil change was less than if I went to drive through places here. (Except Pep Boys not literally a drive through but cost is the same as dealer and both rotate tires, the others do not)

Downside you have to plan ahead, took 3 weeks for an oil change appointment though a real problem they can do sooner.
My dealer is $40 for oil and filter change.

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
Full synthetic? Wow. Nowhere near that low here anywhere. Even blended is generally higher.
You know what, I hadn't looked. They put in 0W20 Quaker State Ultimate Durability. On the invoice they show it as being $55 but when I go to services in the app it says $39.99.

·
Registered
2022 Tucson
448 Posts
You know what, I hadn't looked. They put in 0W20 Quaker State Ultimate Durability. On the invoice they show it as being $55 but when I go to services in the app it says $39.99.
That is full synthetic. Never has full synthetic oil changes been that low here, going back many years. That $55 price is way low never mind $39.99.

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
That is full synthetic. Never has full synthetic oil changes been that low here, going back many years. That $55 price is way low never mind $39.99.
The invoice shows $5.50 a quart.

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
So that doesn't add up.
Just to be clear, because that would indicate no labor charge.... Does the dealer use Blended for the free maintenance and you got full synthetic and that cost is above and beyond the free?
This was free maintenance. It shows 5 quarts of the oil I listed at $5.50/ea, and a “service kit” which includes a non specified filter, and tire rotation. The invoice was zeroed out because they submitted it as a covered free service.

·
Registered
2022 Tucson
448 Posts
This was free maintenance. It shows 5 quarts of the oil I listed at $5.50/ea, and a “service kit” which includes a non specified filter, and tire rotation. The invoice was zeroed out because they submitted it as a covered free service.
The service kit is the filter and crush washer.

So that is not the actual cost no way it could be. I paid the same amount, $27 for synthetic oil and $13.00 for the Service kit - Oil filter. Total for that $40.00.
But you have to add labor to that if you are not getting the free maintenance. Labor was $29.00 for a total of $69. I bet that's about what a synthetic oil change costs there also.

That's not a bad amount for what things cost today. It includes them checking everything of course, including if there are any updates are pending and tire rotation. Here it includes a decent hand car wash.
That's $10 less than the drive thru places here. ($20 less than the Mobil 1 only places)

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·

So that is not the actual cost no way it could be. I paid the same amount, $27 for synthetic oil and $13.00 for the Service kit - Oil filter. Total for that $40.00.
But you have to add labor to that if you are not getting the free maintenance. Labor was $29.00 for a total of $69. I bet that's about what a synthetic oil change costs there also.

That's not a bad amount for what things cost today. It includes them checking everything of course, including if there are any updates are pending and tire rotation. Here it includes a decent hand car wash.
That's $10 less than the drive thru places here. ($20 less than the Mobil 1 only places)
I’m sure what is shown for pricing is their contractual pricing for corporate that helps to underwrite the warranty enhancement. And the $40 offer, actually $39.99, is likely just a loss leader to sell add on high margin services, and probably isn’t for synthetic oil. I didn’t read the fine print.

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·

Your car description says Premium. Isn’t that a Canadian trim level? In the states it’s SE, SEL, and Limited. I’m not aware of any other Tucson trims in the US.

21 - 40 of 44 Posts