Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
‘22 Tucson Limited PHEV, Deep Sea Blue & Charcoal
427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a new issue that seems to be getting worse. On acceleration from stop, the first two or three stops after starting the car, I get a very deep resonant groan, almost like a vibration, but it's not a physical vibration. Like something electrical, especially loud if the radio is on but still audible with the radio off.

• Wow
Reactions: BSparks294

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You say it is louder with the radio ON? Is the sound actually coming through the speakers at all?
At first I thought so but I turned the radio off and still heard it, just not as loud. It’s like a deep boing…

·
Registered
287 Posts
Just a guess, but sometimes the power amp for the radio stays powered up even with the radio switched off. See if you can hear the sound coming from the power amp under the seat.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Just a guess, but sometimes the power amp for the radio stays powered up even with the radio switched off. See if you can hear the sound coming from the power amp under the seat.
How would that explain the boing on acceleration only at the first two or three stop and goes of each trip?

·
Registered
287 Posts
No idea. Just guessing, based on the noise being LOUDER with the radio on. Absent the radio symptom, and the noise clearing after the first couple of stops, I would look at the parking brake system. Do you use your parking brake regularly? If so, try leaving the parking brake off, (as long as you park on a relatively flat surface) and see if you get the same noise. Regardless, If it is getting worse, I suggest trying to get a recording of the noise before you bring it in for service. Good luck.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
No idea. Just guessing, based on the noise being LOUDER with the radio on. Absent the radio symptom, and the noise clearing after the first couple of stops, I would look at the parking brake system. Do you use your parking brake regularly? If so, try leaving the parking brake off, (as long as you park on a relatively flat surface) and see if you get the same noise.
I never manually apply the parking brake.

Reactions: mungo544

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
No idea. Just guessing, based on the noise being LOUDER with the radio on. Absent the radio symptom, and the noise clearing after the first couple of stops, I would look at the parking brake system. Do you use your parking brake regularly? If so, try leaving the parking brake off, (as long as you park on a relatively flat surface) and see if you get the same noise. Regardless, If it is getting worse, I suggest trying to get a recording of the noise before you bring it in for service. Good luck.
It is progressively getting louder and occurring more frequently. It seems like it's more prevalent if I'm also turning on acceleration, like pulling out into an intersection while turning. I scheduled a service visit for next week to look at this, my battery dying, and the black box behind the rearview mirror constantly opening at the slightest bump. The service writer was perplexed when I predicted none of it will be resolved...

Then my cousin tells me her 22 ICE Tucson has an issue where the accelerator doesn't disengage so the engine revs even with her foot off the gas. The service gy told her "it's not a problem". Yikes.... Right up to when she rear ends someone because the car kept accelerating on its own. I'm starting to wonder what I've done....

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have a new issue that seems to be getting worse. On acceleration from stop, the first two or three stops after starting the car, I get a very deep resonant groan, almost like a vibration, but it's not a physical vibration. Like something electrical, especially loud if the radio is on but still audible with the radio off.
My advice take it in to the dealer if its under warranty. Let them sort this out

·
Registered
2,606 Posts
On acceleration from stop, the first two or three stops after starting the car, I get a very deep resonant groan, almost like a vibration
That's about the time the ABS does a self test.
Temporarily pull the ABS fuses and see if it goes away.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
That's about the time the ABS does a self test.
Temporarily pull the ABS fuses and see if it goes away.
Well that's interesting. Every time you start up from stop it self tests?

·
Registered
2022 Tucson Limited Hybrid, Quartz White
88 Posts
Well that's interesting. Every time you start up from stop it self tests?
No, it should only do it once after first starting and driving the car. Some other ideas based on other threads I’ve read:
  • Bad wheel bearings
  • Faulty transmission
  • AWD transfer case issue
People are reporting similar issues as you…noise that got louder, especially during a turn. Humming sounds. Car seems like it doesn’t want to shift out of first gear. But best bet is to have the dealer take a look at it. Hope you can get this fixed soon.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
No, it should only do it once after first starting and driving the car. Some other ideas based on other threads I’ve read:
  • Bad wheel bearings
  • Faulty transmission
  • AWD transfer case issue
People are reporting similar issues as you…noise that got louder, especially during a turn. Humming sounds. Car seems like it doesn’t want to shift out of first gear. But best bet is to have the dealer take a look at it. Hope you can get this fixed soon.
It’s more like a boing. Only lasts a second. But now it’s each start from stop.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Do you ever use auto hold? If not, try turning on auto hold and see if you get the same noise. If it goes away or changes it in any way that may narrow it down to something with the braking system. (stuck caliper, defective brake hose, etc.)

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Do you ever use auto hold? If not, try turning on auto hold and see if you get the same noise. If it goes away or changes it in any way that may narrow it down to something with the braking system. (stuck caliper, defective brake hose, etc.)
A stuck caliper would be pretty obvious, no? Remember, this is not coming to a stop, but starting back up. I will try auto hold, or whatever it’s called. I only don’t use it because you have to manually turn it on every trip.

·
Registered
852 Posts
Since the boing sound has increased in frequency....
Dealer item to diagnose. Let us know their opinion on the fix.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Since the boing sound has increased in frequency....
Dealer item to diagnose. Let us know their opinion on the fix.
It's going in Wednesday. I don't expect to hear anything other than, "We don't hear anything wrong".

·
Registered
104 Posts
A stuck caliper would be pretty obvious, no? Remember, this is not coming to a stop, but starting back up. I will try auto hold, or whatever it’s called. I only don’t use it because you have to manually turn it on every trip.
If the caliper is not releasing completely on one side the brake pad could be dragging creating a groan or boing sound as it fully releases. Some of the Hyundai cars have a brake caliper that has sliding parts and a slight rust build up can cause the caliper to hang up and not release properly when coming off of braking as when you are starting to getting going again. If it happens only when turning left it could be a caliper on the left. If it is happening when turning right it could be a caliper on the right hand side of the car.
If it is none of these things maybe you have a gremlin or a mischievous spirit living in your car's machinery.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
If the caliper is not releasing completely on one side the brake pad could be dragging creating a groan or boing sound as it fully releases. Some of the Hyundai cars have a brake caliper that has sliding parts and a slight rust build up can cause the caliper to hang up and not release properly when coming off of braking as when you are starting to getting going again. If it happens only when turning left it could be a caliper on the left. If it is happening when turning right it could be a caliper on the right hand side of the car.
If it is none of these things maybe you have a gremlin or a mischievous spirit living in your car's machinery.
Turning in either direction. The car hasn’t even been wet except for touchless car washes.

My money is on gremlins…

1 - 20 of 24 Posts