Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm a little embarrassed to admit it, but over the last week, I've actually grown to like my new 2010 Sonata. For the first time in several years I'm driving something that has... style. As useful as the working man knows his cargo van is, he also knows it's a little creepy to the ladies...

I was planning on doing some minor things, since I like the little **** now, you know, wheels, blacking out all the chrome, adding fog lights, but my big question is, would I look like a poser if I put the rear bumper off of a V6 on my 4-banger? I like the look of it, and I like the look of the twin tailpipes, I'm not trying to look like I have a V6 when I don't, but do you guys think I would catch **** for that?

Like I say, I really want just opinions from other people on this. I'm only asking because I like the sleeper look, like a cobra badged as a V6 Mustang or a Camaro SS done up like an RS, and this seems kind of the opposite.

I'm torn because that bumper looks awesome, but I've been making fun of People badging out Mustang GTs as Cobra Rs & putting Z26 Ground effects on their 4-banger Berettas for years. The only similarity I can find is that the Cobra front bumper was a popular and acceptable upgrade for any model mustang, just because it looked so good, and I think that's a weak argument.

Fire away:

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
QUOTE (delhiboy3732 @ Jul 6 2010, 02:27 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=339158
If you like it, go for it. The V6 is not that of a fast car either. It's fast when you talk M or AMG.
I thought those were Beemers and Krautcedes...

As long as I've brought up modding, does anyone have a black set of window trim pieces they'd like to swap out for chrome? You pay shipping to me, I pay shipping to you, we call it even. But it has to happen in that order. This is a company car, and my boss will **** up his back if he sees me driving around without window trim for a week. He'll think it will cause us to lose our retainer clients. The holes through the body of his car make him a better salesman, though.

·
Banned
873 Posts
i dont think that would be called a 'poser' i personally like the look of dual exhaust as well, changes the whole look of the rear end, but that means your gonna have to get custom exhaust and i think any kind of custom exhaust on our 2.4 theta soundslike **** because our 2.4 just doesnt have that 'good to hear' engine sound like the vtaksss

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I was going to put a Cherry Bomb up front, and a couple of those generic "low noise" performance mufflers that they sell at the exhaust shop in the back. I've had good luck with that setup on 4 cylinders before. A little bit of a growl without your car screaming "Look how much bigger my muffler is than my ****!" and sounding like a giant sea monster with diarrhea. I'm not afraid of custom exhaust work. My buddy's got a welder & a lift, we'll just get drunk and throw it together sometime.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I say, "why not? If you're going to trick out the exhaust you gotta have some place for those twin pipes to appear. Now if you were to also put the V6 badge back there as well......welcome to Poserville! I can help you find the way if you want my old V6 badge which is currently lying in a box somewhere. :grin:

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
QUOTE (Yam55 @ Jul 7 2010, 07:53 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=339668
I say, "why not? If you're going to trick out the exhaust you gotta have some place for those twin pipes to appear. Now if you were to also put the V6 badge back there as well......welcome to Poserville! I can help you find the way if you want my old V6 badge which is currently lying in a box somewhere. :grin:
No thanks, boss, that sounds like straight-up douchebaggery, not posing. I'm ripping off all of those badges and having that Hyundai Logo back there painted flat black along with all of the other chrome on the car. I hate chrome.

·
Registered
3,712 Posts
After reading the responses I'd skip the bumper change. You make it a dual do it with your OEM bumper I'm sure they can fab some pipes that poke out. If I put duals on my V6 Mustang I wouldn't change to a GT bumper. Course in 97 it was the same arse bumper...so whatever. LOL
I'd also skip what you plan on doing to a company car. My thoughts. I think you should buy your own V6 and rock on!

·
Registered
45 Posts
I say go for it. I would love to do the same thing to mine honestly. Like yoiu love the look of the dual pipes I just don't want to spend that much to actually do it though!

Oh

And the chrome around the bumper and the door side bumpers can just peel off. Not sure of the door handles and around the windows though

·
Registered
685 Posts
Just an opinion:
I think it is rice. Dual pipes are ok if you make it your own way. Otherwise it's just a bad copy of a v6 car. Plus, they're just two pipes anyway, not a real dual exhaust.
Also, I'm not sure about the company you work for but I'd think it can be the fastest and pretty expensive way to get fired :)

·
Registered
587 Posts
Exactly, since when do people do modifications on a company car? This is the first time I've ever heard of someone wanting to spend a bunch of money to do things to someone else's car. If you like it that much buy your own (maybe the V6?) and go to town doing whatever you like to it!

·
Premium Member
4,858 Posts
QUOTE (hatesmith @ Jul 5 2010, 10:54 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=339149
I'm a little embarrassed to admit it, but over the last week, I've actually grown to like my new 2010 Sonata. For the first time in several years I'm driving something that has... style. As useful as the working man knows his cargo van is, he also knows it's a little creepy to the ladies...

I was planning on doing some minor things, since I like the little **** now, you know, wheels, blacking out all the chrome, adding fog lights, but my big question is, would I look like a poser if I put the rear bumper off of a V6 on my 4-banger? I like the look of it, and I like the look of the twin tailpipes, I'm not trying to look like I have a V6 when I don't, but do you guys think I would catch **** for that?

Like I say, I really want just opinions from other people on this. I'm only asking because I like the sleeper look, like a cobra badged as a V6 Mustang or a Camaro SS done up like an RS, and this seems kind of the opposite.

I'm torn because that bumper looks awesome, but I've been making fun of People badging out Mustang GTs as Cobra Rs & putting Z26 Ground effects on their 4-banger Berettas for years. The only similarity I can find is that the Cobra front bumper was a popular and acceptable upgrade for any model mustang, just because it looked so good, and I think that's a weak argument.

Fire away:

You can do it is you get a custom dual exhaust done!

·
Registered
122 Posts
The dual exhaust on the V6 is my favorite part of the car, i really like the way it tucks in to the bumper and the way the tips look. I dont blame you for wanting a similar setup, just make sure you dont slap a V6 bage on there otherwise you might aswell get a stick on hood scoop.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
QUOTE (v33sonata @ Jul 9 2010, 10:22 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=340421
Coming from a 4cyl owner. Its pretty fast for a v6. I yet to encounter a v6 that is faster. as of yet.............
I used to own a SuperCoupe. I'll bet a supercharged 3.8 4-valve ford is slightly faster than a Sonata V6. I'm not trying to dog anybody, honestly, looking at the trim on the V6 models, I think I'll keep single exhaust, you know go "sleeper," even though the main reason I want to modify the exhaust is for flow, to get extra mileage. If I wanted another Cobra, I'd just go buy one. I've got nothing to prove out on the road anymore. I've had cars that were fast as ****, and cars with killer stereos that won big trophies, Nowadays, I just want to save some fuel.
As far as the "company car" argument goes, I can do anything I want to the car, use it for personal use, and let someone else pay for the insurance. If I were going to buy a personal car right now, it would either be an F-350 or an Econoline 450.
Thanks to everyone for their input, but I'm keeping the single exhaust.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts