Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I put a lot of miles on my Santa Fe (I'm in sales and cover 2 and 1/2 states!), and since I rely on my vehicle so much, I'm pretty meticulous about maintenance.

Well, I started noticing my mileage deteriorating a bit - whereas I used to get 26+ on the highway, I was now showing around 23, consistently. Though I try to avoid this, there are times when I really need gas, and I'm in the boonies, and have to stop at some old Maw and Pa gas station selling some off brand that's made with their feet! I figured that was the culprit.

As part of another discussion with a pretty sharp, older chemical engineer, this fella suggested I throw some Marvel Mystery Oil in the gas on next fill up. I had used this product many, many, years ago, so I figured "why not".

Well, by the end of the tank, the thing is running better than ever! The stuff was only $3.50 at the local Wal Mart, and the bottle is large enough for 4 tank -fulls, and it worked like a champ! I mean, I've used and touted products like Techron, Seafoam, ChemTool, and had good success with all of them, but this stuff is da bomb!

It's pretty funny to me that something that's been around forever, and is dirt cheap, still works so well! My mileage on the highway is back up to 26+ mpg or better, and that's running at 70+mph. The thing has more "spring" in it's step and is definitely more responsive across the throttle range.

Simply Marvelous! :banana:

Note: this went into the gas tank, not the oil. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
7,163 Posts
My guess is that you were beginning to develop some hard carbon deposits on your injectors. That's why I run the BG product through my EFI vehicles at about 50K, and again at 100K. The spray patterns really do make a difference in mileage, and if your injectors start to get gunked up, the mileage goes down. Regular purchase of the "cheap stuff" that may not have a much of the detergent additives won't help - and you're right - you never know what you're getting in the boonies sometimes.

Marvel wouldn't be my 1st choice for injector cleaner, but it's good stuff, dirt cheap compared most of the alternatives, and has been known to reduce deposits pretty significantly.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
"Marvel wouldn't be my 1st choice for injector cleaner..."
Yeah, me neither. That's why I was so surprised! For the cost, I'll probably buy a bottle a month, just to keep things purring.

I get a kick out of these types of "sleeper" products that are reasonably priced and do a great job!

And I agree about the carbon and the spray pattern. With some of the places I've had to stop, who knows what was in the gas!

Anyway, I'm quite pleased, and pleasantly surprised. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
11 Posts
I wonder if I should give this product a try?

I'm just at 30,000 miles and getting 21.0 miles per gallon. Really haven't taken highway, but will next week. I do drive freeways here in LA, but that would hardly count as highway I would guess.

·
SENIOR MODERATOR
9,284 Posts
I might just have to give this a try. My SF has been regularly returning 17.8 mpg in mostly city driving but I know she can do better than that. Thanks for the tip.

·
Registered
5,886 Posts
My first instinct is to say you're all crazy and dismiss this stuff as snake oil, but I've been fortunate enough to never encounter bad gas or a noticeable decline in fuel economy. I'll give your advice a try if it ever happens... thanks for the tips.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I also drive an 05 Dodge 3500 with a Cummins diesel and have used MMO many times in it. Most of the guys on the diesel ram forum use it as well. Stuff's been around forever. I still have some sitting in the storage room, but it's been there for at least 2 years. I wonder if it ages well like wine?

·
Registered
91 Posts
Do you think this stuff is good for ancient engines, like a '57 MG? Or is it better to leave antique crud alone?

One of the worst mistakes I made with my MG was to clean off the encrusted oil on the block and all under the hood with engine cleaner. Now everything is rusting, and the fresh-splattered oil stinks to high heaven!

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
You know, it's funny - folks that have been around for a while swear by the stuff. After telling my dad what I did (and now he's putting it in his Tiburon and Mercedes 280SL!) he said they used to break in engines on the stuff and had nothing but good things to say about it!

Like I said, for how cheap it is, if it makes me feel like it runs better, it's worth it! :thumbsup:

All kidding aside though, I'm pretty sensitive to performance, and I know what my MPG indicator used to say...and now it's better! (that's some darn good snake oil! Ha!)

·
Registered
40 Posts
My step dad (who's from Cleveland) told me this weekend about STP going around and buying old used oil and that's what they used as a base for their product. I don't know how long ago this was and if they still do that, but I thought it was relevant for our current conversation B)

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
QUOTE (canderson @ May 3 2010, 12:48 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=319013
"a while" ain't the words for it. MMO is one of the few products still on the market (apart, perhaps, from Ivory soap) that's been on the market longer than I've been around.

Ha! Good point!

I remember when I was a teenager seeing it on those little racks of products that used to be outside at full service gas stations, (the old Esso and 76 stations) in my sleepy little town. I think it was old then! It used to come in a metal bottle/can, and they'd get rusty after a while! :p

1 - 13 of 13 Posts