Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
433 Posts
Funny, I was just at work checking out the re-designed 200 from the auto show. My exact thought was it look a lot like the Sonata. I even brought the 2 cars up side by side lol. I like the new 200, but owe more than I'd like on my car :( The 200 will even offer AWD.

·
Registered
687 Posts
I would buy another Ram.

I've noticed now they are listed separate on the websites. They are listed under "Ram Trucks" instead of "Dodge Ram". Is this kind of like SRT separating from the main umbrella?

·
Registered
433 Posts
I will NEVER buy another Chrysler product. Period!

Walt
Me either, but I would still go check it out :)
I've had Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep a couple times, and 100,000 miles seems to be the stopping point from my experience.

So far, Hyundai has treated me pretty darn good since May 2008...that is why I stay ;)

·
Registered
89 Posts
It does look nice. I what performance and reliability will be.

·
Registered
2013 Hyundai Santa Fe Sport
2,286 Posts
Every car is derivative of some other car. Not trying to come off smart, but its a fact. Remember when the YF hit the street, everyone swore it was a ripoff of the VW CC.

We all know it isn't but I am sure that there was a CC in the design studio when they started carving the clay model. Either way, with the emphasis on MPGs nowadays, car makers have no choice but to crib from each other's designs. Its bittersweet because while the end designs are pretty slick, no maker has their own design language anymore.

That aside, I see some fleeting resemblances to the Sonata in the 200. Mainly the overall shape (4 door coupe roofline) and the rear. However, I would say the new Impala is more derivative of the Sonata, at least in trunklid design. Just look at my profile pic, then this one

vs this

Kia should be proud though---the grill looks like they took it right off the Optima.

Criticism aside, this is a bonafide hit. They are going to sell the living daylights out of this thing. Proves that Sergio and FIAT were the way to go.

Still wouldn't buy one though....never was a Chrysler fan and had too many bad experiences with a Caravan at a previous job.

·
22,788 Posts
Lots of similarities to the Sonata. Over all I like the design of this car.

2015 Chrysler 200C - YouTube
Yeah, it looks okay. But like almost anything Chrysler manufactures, its resell value drops faster than a 1,000 pound barbell into a 500 foot lake bottom. I remember in 1981 and again in 1988, Chrysler products retained the lowest ACV you could imagine when used as a trade-in. Not just the dealer's used car manager's/appraiser's opinion, but the figures quoted in those little black books they carried in their pockets for reference. And those things were updated weekly. Not monthly, like the NADA book.

·
Registered
918 Posts
I don't really see the resemblance. The back end looks like Infiniti, a little Audi from the sides. Front looks like a flattened Focus.

·
Registered
647 Posts
"If you can't innovate, imitate."

I looked at Chrysler when I needed a car in 2012, they seemed to be behind the field in features and specs. Glad I got the Sonata!

·
Registered
1,942 Posts
I don't think the Dart has been an extremely reliable car so far, and the new 200 will share the same powertrain design. I like it but not sure I would risk it.

·
Registered
2,286 Posts
I don't think the Dart has been an extremely reliable car so far, and the new 200 will share the same powertrain design. I like it but not sure I would risk it.
Only the base 4 cyl will be shared with the Dart. At least it will be the FIAT one not the craptastic GMA 4 that the Sebring/200 had.

Transmission and driveline will be different. From what I have read, they are going to have 9 speed transmissions and available AWD with the V6 engine

Dart is not selling very well. Reviews always harp on the power, NVH, and interior room compared to classmates. And judging by how many I see on the road (the ones I do see sure stand out though!), I would concur that the car buying public is not impressed either.

·
Registered
1,942 Posts
I wouldn't like that 9-speed automatic, the 6-speed hunts around enough as it is.

·
Registered
1,942 Posts
I don't feel my 6 spd hunting at all. However I downshift it myself when I want to accelerate so that could be what you are talking about.
Often mine will quickly get up to 6th gear, then immediately shift back down to 5th for a second, then back up to 6th. I think it does this because I'm fairly light on the throttle during take offs, and I'm still trying to gain speed after it's in 6th gear.

Sometimes I do use manual mold to hold 5th a little longer though.

·
Registered
2,286 Posts
The 9 speed probably won't hunt for gears any more than our 6 speed cars.

However, you can forget fast take offs or any type of sporty feel...that many gears is meant for one thing: economy.

I would predict even with the 6 cyl, this car will have some rather low 0-60 times. Not that it will matter as its a mid-size sedan.

Yes the Genesis, 300, and the big Lexus all have 8 speeders but they suffer from the same performance lag.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts