Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With the temperatures hitting +105 F around here already, I decided to throw a little TLC to my Accent. First up, was the coolant bypass mod. I have to say that I wanted to give up many times; I thought it was impossible to get the those hoses off, given the tools that I was working with...brute force did the trick. I used a male-to-male coupler, instead of routing the hose back to the source. BTW, thank you for the pinned DYI. I only lost a few drops of the coolant, and probably will do the burp procedure in the coming days.

[attachment=18664:AccMOD_004.JPG] [attachment=18665:AccMOD_006.JPG]
[attachment=18671:AccMOD_007.JPG] [attachment=18667:AccMOD_010.JPG]

Next, I replaced the air filter with a K&N panel filter. The plan was to also remove the restrictive front inlet pipe/resonator, but I could not remove the battery tray to gain access. I think I need a metric socket to get in there. I'll tr8749y to get this done soon.

[attachment=18668:CameraJune_003.JPG] [attachment=18669:AccMOD_011.JPG]

And finally I went to get my oil changed. With 8749 miles on the ticker, I change over to synthetic. Local place $15 labor charge, with me bringing in the oil/filter.

[attachment=18670:hp_002.JPG]

So far, I have not noticed any changes, improvements, and/or negative effects. Then again, I have only driven the car twice, and that's with the AC blasting on 3 or 4.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,624 Posts
Yeah, getting your fingers and tools in the small space for the Coolant Bypass is a PAIN.. but I feel it is well worth it once you get it done :) Original props go to Komptek for his write up.. I basically just added pictures.

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
QUOTE (mpfive @ Jun 10 2010, 01:09 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=331692
What's the benefit of doing the coolant bypass?
Colder intake temps as there no coolant to heat the throttle body. I think it's to help emissions and prevent the throttle from sticking in winter.

QUOTE (JVACC09 @ Jun 10 2010, 12:21 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=331672
Next, I replaced the air filter with a K&N panel filter. The plan was to also remove the restrictive front inlet pipe/resonator, but I could not remove the battery tray to gain access. I think I need a metric socket to get in there. I'll tr8749y to get this done soon.
You have to remove the battery, under it there are 4 12mm bolts. Removing the intake tube really improve the sound of the engine at the expense of increased vibrations under acceleration. I did notice a bit more ooomph at lower RPMs. IMO it's definitely worthwhile as the stock intake makes the engine sound like a sewing machine.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts