Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
SENIOR MODERATOR
9,284 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Back in May of 2015 I added a fairly inexpensive Chinese off-brand dash cam to my Elantra for about $70. Called the Mini 0805, It’s worked well over the last two and a half years, only requiring periodic formats of the memory card to keep going. The mount continues to get looser as time goes on, causing rattles as the camera is held in by tension. But it worked all the way to Arizona and back and even helped prosecute a hit-and-run driver only a few months after being installed.

But as we all know, technology marches on and I’ve finally decided to upgrade to a new dash cam with some features this one doesn’t have. For years people have raved about the dash cams made by Korean company BlackVue but I was never impressed with their nighttime performance. They were so dark that only objects in the path of the headlights were shown and even then, performance was mediocre at best. Back in August, BlackVue released a new dash camera called the DR750S and it finally solved the woeful nighttime and low-light performance.

I bought the DR750S-2CH which includes a front and rear-facing camera. One goes on the windshield, as is standard while the other faces through the back window. I was a little hesitant on going for this because of my tint and I feared the camera might be distracting but the rear camera is so small it’s really a non-issue, especially with the insurance it provides.

Installation is pretty straight forward. I tucked the power cable from the fuse box along existing clips that hold a wiring harness and sunroof water drain tube in the A pillar and then into the headliner. The front camera powers the rear camera so I simply tucked the wire into the rubber weather stripping and around the plastic B and C pillar trims as I went aft. I mounted the camera just ever so slightly off-center so it would see the road instead of staring at the defroster coils. It's slightly visible in the rearview mirror but luckily the little power LED can be turned off so it's invisible to the driver at night.

One of the features offered on the DR750S is something called parking mode. Since I have a garage at home and the parking lot at work is secured (and most of my coworkers are careful), I’ve never had much of a use for it. But now that I’m back at school, the lots at the college are a MESS and I don’t trust most of the drivers there. Two fuses are tapped into the power management box that controls parking mode and I mounted this box just to the right of the fuse panel where it can’t be seen. It has a toggle switch for power for parking mode so I can keep it off in the garage at home and on in the college lots or in other places where people struggle to keep it between the lines.

Installation took about two and a half hours due to unforseen issues with certain parts of the install being smarter than me. I don't recommend this to anyone who isn't comfortable taking apart certain areas of their car around the curtain airbags and the like.

Front Camera - Through Windshield by Andrew, on Flickr

Front Camera by Andrew, on Flickr

Front Camera - Inside by Andrew, on Flickr

Rear Camera with Flash by Andrew, on Flickr

·
Registered
941 Posts
So far the only thing I don't really care for with my BlackVue camera is that you have to unplug the power and rear camera cord to remove the memory card. Kind of a PITA just to get to the card. Small thing but inconvenient/annoying.

·
SENIOR MODERATOR
9,284 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
So far the only thing I don't really care for with my BlackVue camera is that you have to unplug the power and rear camera cord to remove the memory card. Kind of a PITA just to get to the card. Small thing but inconvenient/annoying.
I've noticed that, also and yeah it is kind of a pain. At least with the 750 you can review footage via their smartphone app and only have to unplug the power cord to get to the SD Card. The rear camera cable doesn't need to be touched which in my book is a good thing as it's coaxial and the pin is fragile from what I hear.

·
Registered
912 Posts
Any idea what level of heat this thing can withstand for season after season???? Every cam I have tried gets fried in the Lousyana July/August time frame.....

·
SENIOR MODERATOR
9,284 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Any idea what level of heat this thing can withstand for season after season???? Every cam I have tried gets fried in the Lousyana July/August time frame.....
People tend to rate BlackVue cameras pretty highly and it's definitely better built than my Chinese camera. I found some posts by users in Maryland where it gets pretty hot and humid in the summer and they haven't had any issues with the BlackVue cameras not working or falling off the windshield.

And for everyone here are some sample clips...

Reactions: Dredd

·
Registered
740 Posts
My friend is an Uber driver and he says the BlackVue cameras are so much better than the Chinese ones you buy on Amazon. But they are darn pricey

·
Registered
2019 Elantra GT N Line, 2013 Hyundai Elantra GT (SOLD)
1,856 Posts
I assume you just took the A pillar panels off for the front? That isnt hard in my opinion.

·
SENIOR MODERATOR
9,284 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I assume you just took the A pillar panels off for the front? That isnt hard in my opinion.
It's not. I was unable to get the hook at the top back in but I'm not excessively concerned. In every crash test video I see, that pillar trim comes off anyway so....meh.

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
Thinkware and BlackVue are just about the only 2 dash camera companies to go with in terms of a quality product. Thinkware was doing great with F770 when it first came out. The F800 was an intresting camera too while in the testing phase, but there were little things holding it back (such as it wasn’t as discrete in body color like other models on the market).

When BlackVue released the DR750S with a front camera capturing full HD at 60 FPS, game over! Thinkware is currently limited to a front camera in full HD at 30 FPS.

*I really want to see a 2 channel setup with full HD in 60 FPS for both cameras in order to drastically cut out motion blur.*

·
SENIOR MODERATOR
9,284 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Actually I'm not terribly impressed with the 60 FPS because, to cut down on storage space, it gets saved at the same bitrate as the 30 FPS setting. And because of this, the quality is actually worse. I now have mine set to 30 FPS on full HD and it works just fine. I'm a little disappointed but it's a good camera regardless.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts