Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
2019 Santa Fe XL ('Preferred' trim) in Canada (v6 3.3L):

1. Snow and ice is blocking the forward sensor located below the grill. Result is AEB and Cruise Control disabled until ice is cleared from sensor, so about every 5 minutes I have to stop the car if I want Cruise Control in Ontario winters when it's snowing or slush kicked up from cars ahead of me :)! Is there a way to overide so the Cruise Control is still functional. If I disable AEB (foward collision alert and auto emerg braking) in the Driver Assist options will this keep the Cruise Control functional albeit without the 'smart' feature?

2. The engine sounds (rattles) like a diesel at warm idle, the noise from the cam area is rattly. tap tap tap tap...Is this normal?

3. Has anyone had problems with the windshield being prone to chips / cracks. While replacing a wiper on the front right I accidentally let go of the arm, it slapped against the window which cracked like a cheap piece of plastic. $1100 CDN to replace with OEM, deductibe is $1000 FML. Is Hyundai glass suspect?

4. Does the ECO/ NORM/ SPORT drive mode affect the power distribution to the wheels at all or just engine & trans. shifting performance. The manual is not clear at all.

5. Why is Hyundai saying 6000km for oil change intervals with full synthetic oil? That's really short compared to most makes!

6. I see front fog lights are no longer an option, even on the Luxury / Ultimate trim? Is this just in Canada with the XL or globally? WTF no fog lights?

Thanks.

Rob H.

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
The issue with the radar arrays for the cruise is normal. Be very careful because even a parking lot bump can damage the bumper fascia and render the system inoperative.

A wiper arm slapping a windshield is not going to cause it to crack unless there was already an issue, such as a stone chip or impact of some type already present. You probably already hit it harder / pressed harder many times clearing ice and snow before driving.

Drive mode selection does not affect power distribution to the axles.

No fog lights? I'd be checking with a quality shop to see if anything aftermarket can be added. I consider fog lamps to be a critical item when selecting a vehicle. If I cannot order a vehicle with them and they cannot be added that will not be my next vehicle. And they must be FUNCTIONAL, not just decorative lighting as some are.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the replies. There was no previous damage on the windshield, the impact of the wiper arm is where the crack started, I can see the tiny 'star' shape where it was impacted. There's a blurb in the manual about it, so Hyundai is covered as they told me so. I'd have to prove to the dealer it's defective, I can already hear their response without asking them :). Fog lights are not an option on 2018/19 SF XL's and I've not seen any aftermarket specific to this model save for 'generic' fog lights that attach to any vehicle. Shame. I hear in Europe, there is a requirement for fogs but I'm not clear on that. The issue I have with the front radar packing up (AEB & FCA) with ice or wet snow sticking to it is when you need the safety systems the most in bad weather, they don't work LOL. I know other makes have put the sensors/radar behind the glass to protect from elements. I do like the vehicle, just smaller things like this pissing me off at the moment as I learn more about it over time.

·
Registered
146 Posts

1. Snow and ice is blocking the forward sensor located below the grill. Result is AEB and Cruise Control disabled until ice is cleared from sensor, so about every 5 minutes I have to stop the car if I want Cruise Control in Ontario winters when it's snowing or slush kicked up from cars ahead of me :)! Is there a way to overide so the Cruise Control is still functional. If I disable AEB (foward collision alert and auto emerg braking) in the Driver Assist options will this keep the Cruise Control functional albeit without the 'smart' feature?

you should shut off the smart portion of the cruise control and use it and a standard cruise control. You turn the cruise on and then hold the distance button down until the system reverts to normal (non smart) cruise control. Takes about 3 to 5 seconds.

2. The engine sounds (rattles) like a diesel at warm idle, the noise from the cam area is rattly. tap tap tap tap...Is this normal?

This is normal sound for a DI engine. You are hearing the injectors/pump of the high pressure direct injection. They are just noisier than multi-point lower pressure injection systems.

3. Has anyone had problems with the windshield being prone to chips / cracks. While replacing a wiper on the front right I accidentally let go of the arm, it slapped against the window which cracked like a cheap piece of plastic. $1100 CDN to replace with OEM, deductibe is $1000 FML. Is Hyundai glass suspect?

So far this windshield is one that has NOT cracked for me. I don't think it was the wiper arm that caused it. Must have had a stress crack or chip someplace already in the glass I suspect.

4. Does the ECO/ NORM/ SPORT drive mode affect the power distribution to the wheels at all or just engine & trans. shifting performance. The manual is not clear at all.

No affect on the power distribution. Only the throttle mapping and transmission shift points.

5. Why is Hyundai saying 6000km for oil change intervals with full synthetic oil? That's really short compared to most makes!

I do not know. I change my oil every 7,500 miles with full synthetic. I think they say sooner because the dealers are trying to make money.

6. I see front fog lights are no longer an option, even on the Luxury / Ultimate trim? Is this just in Canada with the XL or globally? WTF no fog lights?

My 2018 SE Ultimate has fog lights. Perhaps they took them out for 2019 or it is different in Canada from the USA?

Thanks.

Rob H.

you should shut off the smart portion of the cruise control and use it and a standard cruise control. You turn the cruise on and then hold the distance button down until the system reverts to normal (non smart) cruise control. Takes about 3 to 5 seconds.

This is normal sound for a DI engine. You are hearing the injectors/pump of the high pressure direct injection. They are just noisier than multi-point lower pressure injection systems.

So far this windshield is one that has NOT cracked for me. I don't think it was the wiper arm that caused it. Must have had a stress crack or chip someplace already in the glass I suspect.

No affect on the power distribution. Only the throttle mapping and transmission shift points.

I do not know. I change my oil every 7,500 miles with full synthetic. I think they say sooner because the dealers are trying to make money.

My 2018 SE Ultimate has fog lights. Perhaps they took them out for 2019 or it is different in Canada from the USA?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

<This is AWESOME! I don't think the manual mentions this. Thank you.>

<Understood, I felt it was louder than any other V6 I've owned>

<I agree, but I did a close inspection and the tell-tale impact 'star' is right where the wiper arm hit it so I don't feel I have a case to get it covered under warranty>

<Shame, it would be nice to have an option to shift power around on demand>

<Agreed, greed :)>

<I test drove a 2018 as well, again no fogs...might be a Canadian thing as you suggest. I would assume if they are available in USA, they should be available as on option in Canada but nope, not even an add-on feature>.

Thanks for your reply.

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
D'uh! You DID say wiper arm nut I was thinking the blade was on it. I suppose if the arm had enough tension and hit the windshield that yes, it could do the star impact thing and start a crack, especially if there is any type of an edge or point on the bottom side.

·
Registered
109 Posts
The 2019 Santa Fe XL Preferred does not come with fog lights. My Luxury version doesn't either. For 2019 only the Ultimate version comes with them.

This wasn't the case for 2017-2018 versions.

I went to an aftermarket "tuning" garage and the employees there said that one could perhaps fashion some metal brackets that attach to the front bumper beam, onto which aftermarket lights may be installed. They did not want to drill into the plastic bumper cover because the plastic can and will crack if drilled, especially in -30 weather that we get here.

See if you can't find a set at a junkyard somewhere. Note that you'll also need a different steering wheel lever, plus the associated wiring, to control the fog lights. Or you could spend $1200+ and buy a new set from Korea.

I have encountered fog only once for the past 14 years here, so fog lights are a non-issue for me.

·
Registered
146 Posts
When I look online by using google, I find a lot of factory fog lights for sale for the XL. They look like they are not that hard to install - I am sure you could find some brackets and things that you need and put the kit together.

I would not bother with the factory switch on the column. I would just use some quality rocker that you can mount and use a relay setup that only powers with the engine on. I doubt it would be that challenging to do this.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I would just use some quality rocker that you can mount and use a relay setup that only powers with the engine on. I doubt it would be that challenging to do this.
I thought about that, though I'm having a hard time finding where to drill and install such a toggle.

Ideas?

·
Registered
639 Posts
1. Snow and ice is blocking the forward sensor located below the grill. Result is AEB and Cruise Control disabled until ice is cleared from sensor, so about every 5 minutes I have to stop the car if I want Cruise Control in Ontario winters when it's snowing or slush kicked up from cars ahead of me
IMHO it's a bit nuts to use cruise control under those conditions.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The user manual straight up warns you to not use cruise on slippery roads.
Packed ice I agree, non-whiteout / wet-snow shower in light traffic on a straight 3 lane highway, no problem. We have lots of those in the GTA. Just keep your wits about you.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts