Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay I have sooooo many questions so I'll just number them all.
I have a 2002 2-door Hyundai Accent GS. No power windows, locks or trunk. No sunroof or anything like that. No spoiler. Nothing, pretty plain. It's grey. It is also an AUTOMATIC which sucks cause the accelleration sucks. I put a sweet cd player in it though.

1. How do I find out if its a 1.5L or a 1.6L?
2. Its automatic so how can I increase the accelleration?
3. What are some inexpensive parts that I can buy to increase performance? Like at max $500 USD
3. Is it possible to replace the automatic transmission with a manual?
4. What are the biggest tires I can put on? I think I have 13" rims.
5. Does anyone have a sub in the trunk, if so, does the top flap on the trunk rattle like ****?
6. Do automatics suck, cause the accelleration isn't good for the first 30km/h, and how can I fix this?

I know there are some dumb questions in there but sorry I don't know much about cars. Any answers would be greatly appreciated.
Shootah

·
Registered
329 Posts
I apologize in advance for the long-winded answer. Here goes:

1. How do I find out if its a 1.5L or a 1.6L?

On some models its stamped right on the top of the engine. If not, look around inside the hood. There should be a sticker somewhere with info on the anti-pollution stuff. This may give the actual displacement - something like “1498cc” or “1599 cc.”

The 1.5 is standard on most 2002s and the 1.6 became standard in 2003. If you’ve got a two-door hatchback you’re almost certainly running a 1.5l.

2. Its automatic so how can I increase the acceleration?

From your question below it sounds like you’re on a tight budget, so short of some major engine mods or turbo charging (which, by the way, could void your warranty), you don’t have a huge range of options but here’s some suggestions.

Before you do anything, visit a dealer and take a similar model to your own for a test drive. If you notice a big difference it could be something wrong with the car itself. While you’re at it maybe take standard out for comparison.

Here’s a few simple things to try:

Check your tire pressure. Even being down a pound or two can make a difference. Don’t over inflate but go to the max inflation. You’ll find the tire inflation info on a sticker on the driver’s side doorframe.

Get a good tune up. Assuming you haven’t had one recently you should get some noticeable improvement.

While you’re at it, look into high performance ignition wires and plugs. The OEM’s on Hyundais are not great quality. Ignition wires should run from $20 - $50 US depending on the brand (Bosch to NGK).

Try switching to a mid-grade fuel and buy from a brand-name retailer. Not all “regular” is created equal. A lot of independent dealers sell fuel with a high water content, which can cause all kinds of problems.

Lighten the load! It’s easy to have a hundred pounds or more of sports gear, bikes, and tools kicking around in the car. Every pound takes power to move.

The other “load” is the hidden one. If you are running a boomer aftermarket stereo system your alternator and battery could be working overtime - a big amp has almost almost the same draw on the engine as running air conditioning. There are battery and alternator upgrades available but you might have to decide whether you want those horses going to your wheels or shaking your windows.

Elsewhere on this forum I’ve seen recommendation for a good wash and wax - dunno if it really would help but worth a try.

3. What are some inexpensive parts that I can buy to increase performance? Like at max $500 USD

Best place to start would be a performance shop. These guys love to talk and I’ve found most a ready to fit a budget. I’m assuming your main concern is with low-end acceleration.

Here’s some ideas:
- Complete Tune up - $150
- Oil change - get a high-grade synthetic oil with the lightest grade your owner manual recommends e.g. 5w30 - $30
- Performance Ignition wires and plugs - $40 - $75
- High performance air filter - $40

Together these can increase horsepower output by 10 - 15 percent, depending on what shape your car is in to begin with

Going up into the mid-range:

Performance exhaust - $200 + - (but be prepared for a much louder ride, the accent isn’t known for its soundproofing.)

Supercharging can add up to 20 horsepower but you’ll want to know for sure what this will do to your warranty. If you do decide to go with superchariging you’ll also need to modify the exhaust in some way. Supercharging doesn'y do a lot for 0-30

There are also high performance aftermarket ignition systems but I think these are getting out of your price range.

I’m not sure how much you can do with tires rims and suspension in the price range you are talking about. Lightweight rims can improve response and a wider tire can cut down rolling resistance. A good set of lightweight rims will probably run you at least $600 - $800 plus whatever you’ll be spending on tires.

3. Is it possible to replace the automatic transmission with a manual?

Possible but likely not practical. In addition to the engine/transaxle itself, all the mounts for the pedals and linkages for the standard shift would need. Quite a few other changes as well like electrical parts, indicators and even the ignition lock. I just can’t see it being with the effort and expense.

An alternative might be to try and find a swap - your automatic for a standard in the same make and model. Some people like the automatic.

4. What are the biggest tires I can put on? I think I have 13" rims.

ON the standard 13” rim - P175/70 R13 On 14” rims P185/60 R14

Anything much bigger and you’re running the risk of shredding a tire on the edge of a fender.

5. Does anyone have a sub in the trunk, if so, does the top flap on the trunk rattle like ****?

Can’t help you there - I put a couple of those little stick on plastic bumpers that go on cabinet doors on the back of my license plate, which cured one rattle.

Good luck - Let us know how you make out

ps - saw you put this in on the 24th - shame on all of us for not getting back to you sooner.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Originally posted by Shootah@Aug 24 2004, 03:48 PM
Okay I have sooooo many questions so I'll just number them all.
I have a 2002 2-door Hyundai Accent GS.  No power windows, locks or trunk.  No sunroof or anything like that.  No spoiler.  Nothing, pretty plain.  It's grey.  It is also an AUTOMATIC which sucks cause the accelleration sucks.  I put a sweet cd player in it though.

1.  How do I find out if its a 1.5L or a 1.6L?
2.  Its automatic so how can I increase the accelleration?
3.  What are some inexpensive parts that I can buy to increase performance? Like at max $500 USD
3.  Is it possible to replace the automatic transmission with a manual?
4.  What are the biggest tires I can put on? I think I have 13" rims.
5.  Does anyone have a sub in the trunk, if so, does the top flap on the trunk rattle like ****?
6.  Do automatics suck, cause the accelleration isn't good for the first 30km/h, and how can I fix this?

I know there are some dumb questions in there but sorry I don't know much about cars.  Any answers would be greatly appreciated.
Shootah
[snapback]893[/snapback]​

if its a gs it is a [email protected]&N air filter.3.not cost effective.4.15 is the most i would recomend otherwise you comprimise suspension dynamics.5.I have seen subs in the hatch and trunk .for a hatch back you will want to remove the cover..for a trunk lower the seat that will help with any rattle.6.auto's suck for a number of reasons. but try higher octane fuel and you may see a dramatic change in mpg. hope this helps.. [email protected]

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hey Shootah!
With wheels, I've put 15' mags on my car about 6 months ago, and also have Nitrogen instead of Air, it drives really smoothly now... I wouldn't go bigger than 15 though. My 2002 is a 1.5, but check the build specs just behind the egine where the VIN and Chassis number is etc, like gordo said... it'll ahve the cc's listed...
Gordo and Hyundai Mike have most of the others covered... and Gordo... my excuse for not answerin earlier... i only signed up today :p

·
Registered
341 Posts
The hyundai has been tested by me to withstand a 12 inch audiobahn, as for the flap, nothing noticable. I thought I would be rattling every piece on my car.. turns out you might want to secure the rear licence plate to keep it from rattling, that is all.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts