Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thanks Hyundai Forum. You guys always give the best advice.

A deer jumped into my windshield, cracked it, and limped off. I have a 2013 Hyundai Elantra. My insurance deductible is $500. Should I go to a body shop, Safelite, or go through insurance? I'm scared that my insurance will go up if I go through them

·
Registered
407 Posts
Sorry to hear that, deer accidents are unnerving. Call your insurance and ask if they have a $0 glass deductible. If they do not, move on to getting it fixed yourself. If you say you hit a deer and are calling into enquire about coverage, they could annotate that on your record as a claim even if they did not pay out.

I went something similar years back but I hit a huge deer at 80 MPH and it totaled my car, and that's how I got into my now Sonata. What I also learned was that the deer hit falls under comprehensive, not collision.

·
Registered
2,094 Posts
ins counts everything. comprehensive, collision, and reporting but no further action. we have all 3 on our abstract. and yup, our rates have gone up. right after we got one car, wife hit something on the freeway kicked up by the car in front. that took a new front bumper cover. covered under comprehensive. then, the day we get the car back, some girl runs the lite and hits her, no insurance, suspended license. comprehensive/uninsured motorist. then we get hail damage. comprehensive. then she runs over a curb, which is the ONLY collision. then there was a report i did, when delivering mail, some jerk complained i ran up on his lawn(i did, but that was a temp driveway that had been there for years), but the post office paid the claim. however, now we have 5 incidences on our abstract, and i can assure you they all show up. i search for new ins every year, and every year i get the same results. some companies go back 3 years, some go back 5. our credit scores are way over 800, so i know it aint that. and all the denials are because of the incidents, apparently companies only see the incidents, not at fault/no fault.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sorry to hear that, deer accidents are unnerving. Call your insurance and ask if they have a $0 glass deductible. If they do not, move on to getting it fixed yourself. If you say you hit a deer and are calling into enquire about coverage, they could annotate that on your record as a claim even if they did not pay out.

I went something similar years back but I hit a huge deer at 80 MPH and it totaled my car, and that's how I got into my now Sonata. What I also learned was that the deer hit falls under comprehensive, not collision.
Thanks for the response. I really appreciate it. Do you know how much it cost to replace a windshield?

·
Registered
36 Posts
It sounds much like BC's insurance policies in Canada. I actually don't know if your insurance will go up though even if you claimed it as comprehensive though. I may be wrong though. The cost really varies depending on where you are getting it. But expect around 800 without insurance. (That's the cheap one I think)

Sent from my SM-G955W using Tapatalk

·
Registered
407 Posts
It cost me $300 to replace on my 2011 Sonata when a rock chip turned into a large crack. It was an OEM windshield replacement and a local shop around the corner swapped it out.

·
Registered
13,349 Posts
Could have been worse...

Luckily the woman driving the car was shaken, not stirred. Moose had to be euthanized because of broken legs. :(

Reactions: FuelSolGood

·
Registered
480 Posts
The $500 deductible probably isn't worth it. A Honda dealer charged me $400 to replace the windshield on my old Accord, while Safelite charged me $500 to replace a back passenger window witg aftermarket glass on my old Pathfinder. The windshield part costs a lot more than a door window, but the labor on the windshield is much lower than a door.

If you go with Safelite, they let you pick between OEM or third party glass. You might as well call them and your local dealers and some local shops and get quotes before deciding if you want to go through insurance or not. Glad you made it through the accident okay, glass is easy to replace.

·
Registered
232 Posts
I won't tell you that your insurance rates won't go up, but your policy may have full glass coverage with no deductible. I would ask your insurance company before making any decisions.

·
Registered
2,094 Posts
I won't tell you that your insurance rates won't go up, but your policy may have full glass coverage with no deductible. I would ask your insurance company before making any decisions.
even if the deer had insurance, and paid for it, it is still an incident. it will show up on an abstract. the only way to avoid it, is to pay out of pocket. if your record is clean, no problem. if you got a couple of incidences, you might want to think twice.

·
Registered
13,349 Posts
I'm in Mass, we have the worst insurance issues here (Because everyone drives so well, like the jackass in an Elantra who passed me with a car coming towards us) but glass is covered under Comprehensive, and has a $0 deductible, and does not increase your premium.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts