Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm finally getting an HID kit tomorrow, Sound of TriState in Claymont, Delaware has the Xenon Supply H7 kit for 120$ same price as Xenons site, I hate waiting for stuff when I buy it online. I'm pretty sure I need to buy the relay, or am I wrong? As for the color, not sure if I want the 6k or the 8k, my buddy has a big black F-150 and has the light blue HID's and I like them.
I know a bunch of you guys have them and different colors..
Another Question, I just watched 2 DIY video installs from Xenon Supply on YouTube for the 2011 Sonata, kinda confused about the Positive and Negative hook up for the power to the HID's one video the guy hooks the power wire to the + battery terminal, okay. And then the ground wire to the - battery terminal.. Then the other video shows the same process but connects the ground wire to the metal bolt.. (Talking about the drivers side) does it matter? I thought the ground wires get grounded to metal bolt..

I look forward to your guys input.

·
Registered
4,471 Posts
You need the wiring harness. To not use it is to gamble with your 700+ BCM computer.

Ground wire should be connected to two ground spots on the OEM spots on each side of the car if equipped. Otherwise the drivers side of the car on the OEM grounding spot.

·
Registered
838 Posts
My used 2011 Sportage came with HID's already in it. Whoever did the job, put in I'd guess 6k bluish bulbs. Yeah, they looked cool with Techno Orange, but I didn't like them! I found them hard to see with, especially in rain, when misty, or on foggy nights.

I finally sprung for 5k (bright white) bulbs, and the headache of replacing them because you hafta take all the wiring apart to do it, it's not like just replacing the bulbs.

Again, although they are bright white, and better, there is still some blue tint, and they still don't put out as much light as the stock lights do in the shadows.

If I had it to do all over, I'd get 4200k to 4800k regular white HID's.

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you, now just gotta figure out what ones I wanna get? Don't think I want the 8k now, leaning towards the 6k....

·
Registered
45 Posts
Well you said you like blue... I have 8k @ 35W. Take a look at my profile, there are some pics of my car there. Also, I just took these tonight. Let me know what you think :)
Excuse the glare, I have a crappy filter on the lens... gotta invest on something better.

·
Registered
521 Posts
Go for 6000K, you won't be disappointed, I had both.

·
Registered
699 Posts
I suggest 6K, have them in both autos, both low beams and fogs. Can see great with them. The ones in my autos came from Xenon Supply. Yes, use the relay wiring to protect the electronics in the auto.

·
Registered
664 Posts
I have 8000K right now and it doesn't do anything for me. I'm going back to 6000K since I had that on all my other vehicles.

·
Registered
746 Posts
I had 5k in the low beams, later did 6k in the fogs and liked the 6k better than the 5k. Sonata is gone now and I ordered 6k low and fog kits from diode dynamic for $209. Will be installing tomorrow.

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Gonna hold off until the fogs are installed

I'm holding off for a month or so for HID's, give me more time to think about what kind of set up I'm gonna go with. But I think I'm gonna go with the 6k in the DRL's and I'm liking the yellow HID's (whatever K they are) for my fogs. In the mean time I ordered a set of foglights and a set of LEDS for the fogs for now, been wanting foglights in my car ( GLS) and figured I'd get the fogs in first then do a HID set up in both. Went ahead and purchased the fog lights off eBay for 60$ gonna wire them up to its own switch (so I can turn them on/off as I please). Then ordered a set of H8 LEDS for like 20$ for the fogs as well to see how the LEDS look compared to the stock 881 bulbs that come in the foglight kit.
Here's the link to the purchases

Fit 11 12 Sonata Chrome Clear Bumper Driving Fog Lights Kit Bulbs Switch | eBay

2 x H8 Xenon White 68 SMD LED Bulbs Car Daytime Running Driving Fog Lights | eBay

·
Registered
726 Posts
I have 4300k lows and fogs. Everything I read before I bought mine said that they were the brightest (most lumens). The 6000k are whiter, just a little less lumens.

I just leave the fogs and lows on all the time. The auto setting seems to turn them on later than I like. Even with leaving the switch on all the time they still turn off automatically when you turn off and exit the car.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts