Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First post! Hi everyone!

I'm in the process of buying a new 2011 Sonata GLS, and the ONE thing that I'm hung up on is the exterior color choices. I've narrowed it down to harbor gray, pacific blue, and pearl white, and I really don't know which to get. White's probably my first choice overall, but I have three concerns about it: (a) that it's more of a chick-car rather than a dude-car (I'm a guy), (b ) that it won't look as good as a darker color like black or harbor gray at night (I'm planning on putting on Shark Racing taillights and an HID kit), and ( c) that it'll be hard to keep clean.

Can anyone help assuage any of my fears? Or do you have any suggestions? Any response would be appreciated! :)

·
Registered
678 Posts
To be honest, any of the colors you chose will be kinda hard to keep clean, but white especially. After a few years, white tends to stain especially if you don't wash it regularly. My g/f drives a white accent and it takes me several times washing and polishing to get some of the dirt stains out. Pacific blue is nice, but any swirl and scratches will be noticeable and during spring can be caked in pollen which is very visible to dark colored cars. The gray... seems bland in my opinion. If you have no problem maintaining your car like washing it often, I don't think you will have any problems with white. By the way, it cost more for the white (if you didn't know that already). Have you looked at silver or the iradescent silver blue? My suggestion is to see the car at different types of weather because the paint tends to change depending on the weather.

Check them when bright and sunny, cloudy, rainy and at night.

The blue tend to show a little purple from what I've heard, but test drove one when it was sunny and it shows as dark blue
The gray tends to look more bland during rainy days.....found that out when I test drove one while raining (hence the reason for my bland comment)
I doubt the white will change much.
The iradescent silver blue, looks like a lighter shade of gray during rainy days....seen it with my own eyes... actually looks nicer than the harbor gray (much happier gray), slightly on the light blue side on sunny days, but not girly.
Silver (which I own) stays pretty consistent, looks clean even when filthy dirty, easy to hide imperfections and scratches, looks solid, bigger, sportier, tend to not fade as much as other colors like red. (No offense to anybody who bought other colors, just my personal opinion)

Just a final advice, in the end it is your car so you will have to make the final decision. Just think about it carefully and ask yourself this question. You will see this car everyday, so shouldn't you get a color that pleases your eyes even years down the road and not get tired of it?

·
Registered
268 Posts
QUOTE (lazy @ Jun 1 2010, 08:05 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=328616
First post! Hi everyone!

I'm in the process of buying a new 2011 Sonata GLS, and the ONE thing that I'm hung up on is the exterior color choices. I've narrowed it down to harbor gray, pacific blue, and pearl white, and I really don't know which to get. White's probably my first choice overall, but I have three concerns about it: (a) that it's more of a chick-car rather than a dude-car (I'm a guy), (b ) that it won't look as good as a darker color like black or harbor gray at night (I'm planning on putting on Shark Racing taillights and an HID kit), and ( c) that it'll be hard to keep clean.

Can anyone help assuage any of my fears? Or do you have any suggestions? Any response would be appreciated! :)

I have the pacific blue and i LOVE it....it was my first car that i bought myself also and i couldnt be happier.... the pacific blue is indeed really hard to keep clean and does show water spots and dirt really bad but in my own opinion when its clean its the nicest looking color out of any car on the road.... my friends always say that i have "transforming" paint because everytime you look at the pacific blue it looks a shade different.... any of the colors you pick you will love the sonata....its a great car :thumbsup:

·
Registered
72 Posts
I got the pacific blue as well and I couldn't be happier. It was nice and bright out today and it looked awesome. I do notice that on overcast days sometimes it appears grayish blue, well to me anyway. But like Jamie said, you will be happy no matter which one you get.

·
Registered
932 Posts
QUOTE (SilverNitrate @ Jun 1 2010, 07:43 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=328623
I doubt the white will change much.
Actually the white changes a lot in bright sunshine. Not so much an actual color change, but it has lots of deep flecks in the paint that just sparkle in the sun.

My white is the Limited so it has the lights on the mirrors and with the chrome grill and door handles it looks very classy.

·
Registered
255 Posts
QUOTE (SilverNitrate @ Jun 1 2010, 07:43 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=328623
Silver (which I own) stays pretty consistent, looks clean even when filthy dirty, easy to hide imperfections and scratches, looks solid, bigger, sportier, tend to not fade as much as other colors like red. (No offense to anybody who bought other colors, just my personal opinion)
+1. I own the same color and it rocks!! :)

·
SENIOR MODERATOR
9,284 Posts
:00000732:

Having owned a white car I can tell you that it isn't as bad as people say. The car never winds up looking as dirty as it actually is so in practice it actually does a good job of hiding the dirt. Personally I would go with Harbor Gray. It won't show swirls and scratches like the Pacific Blue and will probably hide the dirt better than the other two.

Make sure you let us know what you wind up getting and congrats on purchasing your first car! It's an unforgettable experience.

·
Registered
314 Posts
It's generally excepted that this car really ONLY looks good in Harbor Gray...The rest are just throw-away colors. :devil:_ :shades:

·
1,914 Posts
My mom's car is white and it's a pain to take care of because it shows all of the contaminents and fallout. I clay it once a month and it's still pretty bad. Harbor gray is nice but I expected it to have more metallic and it looks kind of dull. Pacific blue is really starting to grow on me. If you keep a car clean go for the blue, otherwise go for gray.

·
Registered
486 Posts
Although the darker colors are pretty, they tend to hide out the contour lines of the car for me, which is the beauty of the car...

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks so much for all your feedback, everyone! This is a lot more information than I thought I'd get!

I have it narrowed down to harbor gray and pacific blue now. Decisions, decisions...

·
Registered
6 Posts
QUOTE (Hues @ Jun 1 2010, 11:13 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=328720
It's generally excepted that this car really ONLY looks good in Harbor Gray...The rest are just throw-away colors. :devil:_ :shades:

I agree with the Harbor Gray being the BEST color for the 2011 Sonata. I looked at all the colors at the dealership and the Harbor Gray makes the car look sporty and classy at the same time. Oh, and yes I own a SE model in Harbor Gray and I love it!

Best of luck choosing.....

·
Registered
548 Posts
My dealership just got a Radiant Silver SE in today and it has its windows tinted.... my goodness I wish I'd bought that one. It's just plain freaking SEXY.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts