Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was told the a/c compressor on my 2014 Elantra was bad. I replaced the compressor and drier. Pulled a vacuum and attempted to charge. Not only will it not take freon, but even with the low pressure switch plug disconnected, I still have 12 volts going to the compressor. PLEASE HELP!!

·
Registered
257 Posts
How did you pull a vacuum?
How low did you go with vacuum?
Did the system hold the vacuum, and how did you know?
I assume you are using R134a.
If you have a leak in the system, you may be putting refrigerant in the atmosphere without knowing, which is why EPA requires certified tech to work on AC.

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
I'd leave that to the pros. Just pumping refrigerant into the system is not a good idea.

·
Registered
21 Posts

·
Registered
257 Posts
The reason it is so important to properly vacuum and be completely leak free is, if you let air into the system the moisture in the air will eventually corrode the oil through heating and turn acidic and kill your ac system.
Not purging air in hoses will let air into the system also.
The compressor doesn't know or care it is air or refrigerant.

If you have low refrigerant level (aka Freon) this problem wont happen if you are just topping the charge, because air cannot get into a even low pressure system.
However, if you opened the system, e.g. compressor change, air is in it everywhere. Air is loaded with H2O, look at why a cold beer sweat a puddle.
There is such a thing as mud AC :wink: also, not just in engines.
Yes, you may need to run the engine past idle to >2000rpm for the comp clutch to kick in. Thought everyone know that.
If you overcharge a system : on a hot day, POP...fizz, buy a new compressor.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts