Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just picked up my new to me Accent, and have a question after reading the manual. PO explained how the A/C switch actually was integrated with the temperature controls, but I couldn't find it mentioned in the manual. Mine does not have the A/C switch next to the recirculation switch. The air out of the vents wasn't very cool, and I was wondering if I misunderstood the PO. Does any one else have this set up:confused: Sorry if this is a newbie question, I did a search, but came up with nothing. Thanks, Sheldon.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I have never heard of this, I certainly do have an A/C button. I have a bad suspicion that maybe your car has no A/C. I know that for these Accents A/C is not standard, it is an option that costs about $1000, so they did produce cars with no A/C.

Look under the hood and see if you have an A/C pump and refrigerant lines.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have checked, I have the compressor and refrigerant lines stamped R134. There is a noticeable click as I turn the temp dial all the way to the cold side. Just not sure what to make of this?

·
Administrator
2021 Elantra Limited
3,853 Posts
Hyundai sold a good number of GS models without A/C in the US. It was optional on those and standard on SE and (at least initially) GLS trims.

If you do not have the A/C switch next to the recirculate button, your car shouldn't have A/C.

Hyundai did offer A/C kits but they came with the proper control panel that includes the A/C switch (it is all one unit that has the A/C, recirc and three dials.) If you do have a compressor installed, that is very baffling as you do not have what sounds like a factory configuration. Not sure why they would go through the trouble of installing the rest of the system and ignore the switch panel. :unsure:

·
Registered
54 Posts
This is indeed weird... maybe it happened backwards. There is a car with an A/C at a place that never needs air conditioning, then the panel breaks and somebody replaces it with one with no button on it. The A/C should still come on with the defrost, right?

So maybe that's a simple way to test it. Turn the dial to the defrost mode while at idle, keeping the temp control at the coldest setting. See if there is a change in the idle speed. Observe the air temperature coming out of the windshield vents.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
I checked, I have the compressor, accumulator, and all the lines seem to be in the right place. PO swears that it has A/C, but was getting less cool as the summer ended, he thinks it just needs some R134 added. He states to turn it on, just turn the rheostat for the temperature all the way to cold...and voila. I will have my mechanic look at it tomorrow. Thanks for all the replies.
I will try that idling check when I get off work in the morning. So far I enjoy driving it, a little noisy, but I expected that. It sure beats the 12 mpg I was getting with my Ram Van.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well the good news is that my car does have A/C...but it had to be recharged. It's now blowing ice cold air, the dealer/mech said he had never seen a setup like mine, but admitted it was ingenious. He stated to use the oe switch and wiring would cost $750-$1000. As long as it works, right? Thanks for the replies! Now to tackle the passenger door speaker...:)

·
Registered
54 Posts
Nice, happy to hear that. Not a bad solution indeed. Do you need to turn the dial all the way to the cold to activate the A/C? The only downside of that is that you can't cool "just a little", but I rarely ever do that for fuel economy reasons.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
true....what part of Louisville are you in ? I graduated fr0m uof l in 1998. i lived downtown at second and st catherenes street. Across
from Walnut Street Babtist Church.

·
Registered
2008 Accent 3 dr 5 sp manual; 2010 Genesis Coupe 2LT track 6 sp manual
8,803 Posts
Even when you turn the cold up the AC should run less. The AC system should start cycling from high pressure.

·
Registered
54 Posts
true....what part of Louisville are you in ? I graduated fr0m uof l in 1998. i lived downtown at second and st catherenes street. Across
from Walnut Street Babtist Church.
I live at Hikes Point, but actually work at UofL. Coincidentally, I lived in GA a few years ago (though in ATL, not Dalton).

·
22,793 Posts
Is it me, or does the world appear to get smaller as we get older? Here you two guys are, practically neighbors. U of L connections. And discover this on a worldwide car forum. Amazing.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Is it me, or does the world appear to get smaller as we get older? Here you two guys are, practically neighbors. U of L connections. And discover this on a worldwide car forum. Amazing.
So true, and I apologize for my spelling errors, it was 2am. I can spell baptist, and Catherine. I feel I let UofL down there for a minute:eek::eek:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts