Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had another a/c hose replaced on the wife's 2014 LWB about a month ago. Worked good after, but the a/c is acting up again. We've had a few warmer days since the repair and the a/c is taking spells where it isn't getting cold again. The dealership tested it again and they did notice the a/c compressor was making a slight noise, but nothing bad. The temps they got from the vents were cold, but it slightly started going up. The day they tested it, it wasn't a warm day. They said they need to be tested on a warm day to find the problem. Has anyone had compressor problems with their Santa Fe on here? We're running out of options. The wife is about ready to trade it off for something else.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Had another a/c hose replaced on the wife's 2014 LWB about a month ago. Worked good after, but the a/c is acting up again. We've had a few warmer days since the repair and the a/c is taking spells where it isn't getting cold again. The dealership tested it again and they did notice the a/c compressor was making a slight noise, but nothing bad. The temps they got from the vents were cold, but it slightly started going up. The day they tested it, it wasn't a warm day. They said they need to be tested on a warm day to find the problem. Has anyone had compressor problems with their Santa Fe on here? We're running out of options. The wife is about ready to trade it off for something else.
with some experience here in middle east most of Hyundai cars have issues with air compressor
i know someone has been replaced it with original one from Korea and he get cold air like new car
also i come to know there's sensor at same compressor maybe can make same issue

·
Registered
924 Posts
Not knowing the history of the unit, but the control valve in the compressor, or as some call it electronic control valve, can cause problems at idle, on/off cold air, and ultimately no a/c. Although shops like to replace the entire compressor, the "valve" can be purchased separately, discharge system, old valve removed, new installed, evacuated, charged.

Years ago on our '11 2.0T went through no a/c upon startup, but maybe cold after a couple of miles, then no a/c at idle, no a/c upon restarting after a short trip, then no a/c. Actually no a/c when about 12 miles from home in 100 degree heat so wife said last time in that car, so as the compressor was making noise, rather than replace the valve, decided to install a used compressor ($50) with only 21,000 miles, still good and hopefully will continue in the future.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Thanks guys! I'll ask the dealership about that when we take it back. Could that valve make hoses bust open? We've had 2 hoses do that so far.

·
Registered
920 Posts
Didn’t want to make up a new thread but my 2014 XL AC finally acting up and no cold air at all. I noticed this since last year where there wasn’t much cold air coming out and figured next summer I would bring it in to have a look. Weather started getting hot and sure enough the cold air are not coming out at all. Do you guys think it needs to be recharge of cold air or is it something else that’s causing it?? Never own any vehicles for more than 4 yrs so I never had this issue before, not sure what’s causing it to blow warm air and I will see the dealership on Wed and have them look at it. Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
920 Posts
Go for the simplest fix first. Try adding some coolant. If that doesn't fix it, check the compressor.
I would love to know where to start as I’m not very handy at all with anything under the hood, will look it up in YouTube for some ideas and your suggestions as well. Thank you Spira!!

·
Registered
6,809 Posts
I would love to know where to start as I’m not very handy at all with anything under the hood, will look it up in YouTube for some ideas and your suggestions as well. Thank you Spira!!

Don't listen to anyone who tells you to add some antifreeze to your AC system. Especially without knowing if you even need to add anything like refrigerant, let alone adding coolant to your AC.

·
Registered
924 Posts
Before going nuts without the slightest idea to what might be the problem, best thing you can do is to have gauges put on the system to check the pressures.

·
Registered
920 Posts
Thank you gentlemen for your advice, I will do a service 1 this week so I’ll ask the dealer to have a look at it and see what they’ll find.

·
Registered
924 Posts
Thank you gentlemen for your advice, I will do a service 1 this week so I’ll ask the dealer to have a look at it and see what they’ll find.
Be cautious as to what the stealership finds, or should I say recommends. Found out after the fact a friend of ours had the weak A/C at idle and delay starting, dropped it off at the stealeship and $1150 later they had a new compressor. Evidently they don't replace the valve $143 that is available at a ridiculous price as an aftermarket valve could have been had for $30.

·
Registered
920 Posts
Be cautious as to what the stealership finds, or should I say recommends. Found out after the fact a friend of ours had the weak A/C at idle and delay starting, dropped it off at the stealeship and $1150 later they had a new compressor. Evidently they don't replace the valve $143 that is available at a ridiculous price as an aftermarket valve could have been had for $30.
Noted, not surprised at all if they do that and I can only hope they’re honest about it. Will report back on what they’ll find, Thanks Turbonut and others who have chime in!!

·
Registered
920 Posts
Well the dealership did a diagnostic ($130 cad) and found both high and low pressure lines are leaking and not holding pressure so they can’t even add the freon. Parts and labour (5 hrs) came out to $1150 cad plus tax. **** these Hyundai/Kia don’t make anything last more than 6-7 yrs but I guess it’s common that these lines do leak. I have no choice but to have them fix it as this is a big job, probably end up with a bill of $1600 . I’m so close to getting rid of it but then again it’s paid off so don’t want another debt on a new vehicle. I rather do the Maint for it and should be good to drive for another 4-5 yrs!!!

·
Registered
160 Posts
Have them explain to you how they tested for the leaks, where the leaks were found, and have them show you the leaks before your eyes.

Purely anecdotally, my ten year old Dodge Caliber never developed A/C issues, and everybody on the internet throws shade at anything Dodge.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Have them explain to you how they tested for the leaks, where the leaks were found, and have them show you the leaks before your eyes.

Purely anecdotally, my ten year old Dodge Caliber never developed A/C issues, and everybody on the internet throws shade at anything Dodge.

I agree, my 99 Subaru which I bought CPO in 2000 still has what I assume to be factory Freon, never leak one.
Dodges are not ALL bad, I have a 48 Dodge Brothers 1 Ton, before Chrysler screwed them up :cool:

1 - 20 of 26 Posts