Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
THis is about the 5th or 6th time in the past year (2X in past 2 weeks) that the A/C will not come on. Two times took to Dealer & it worked just fine. Ir worked when I drove it, then parked it for 2 hours, and then it wouldn't work. Parked it, and then it worked fine again.

Dealer has no knowledge of this being an issue.

Others have this issue?

Similarly, my iPhone does not connect on an intermittent basis - again, always connects when at dealer.

·
Registered
907 Posts
my GF has the same problem with her car. It's something electrical, but the sucky part is she had this problem once before last summer. They replaced the AC control panel and that took care of the problem, but now it's summer time and the problem is back!!!

·
Registered
937 Posts
This has been reported by a number of people. I doubt the dealers are totally unaware of it.
I've had an occasional issue where the compressor wouldn't run initially, and it only came on after driving for a while or by cycling the button off and back on. Of course when I asked the dealer to check it while the car was in for other warranty stuff, they "couldn't duplicate the complaint".
If possible, when it happens again try to drive right over to a dealer and don't touch anything, so they can see the AC turned on and the compressor not running.
In some cases it's been as simple as the electrical connector on the compressor not being seated properly, so you could try unplugging/replugging it (with the engine off of course) and see if that helps.
The compressor in this car is not operated with a clutch as in other vehicles, but rather with an internal valve inside it. This makes it impossible to tell visually if it's actually running or not because the pulley is always spinning. If the lines aren't getting cold you can assume it's not running.

·
Premium Member
1,284 Posts
Definately the compressor. My 2011 Sonata had this problem from day 1 and it finally took me to diagnose it for the mechanics at Hyundai to get it fixed right. After the compressor was replaced I NEVER had the problem again.

·
Registered
937 Posts
Something I'm thinking of if the problem returns for me, is to temporarily connect a 12V LED across the compressor connector. That way if the compressor fails to run when the AC is turned on I can see if the compressor is getting power or not. If the LED is lit, bad compressor. If it's not, bad control or wiring.

·
Premium Member
1,284 Posts
When I diagnosed my own bad compressor I found 12 volts on the compressor wire w/good ground and no cold lines. That said it all right there knowing the clutch/pressure control valve is all internal to the compressor. The dealer had already checked freon levels and they were normal. It cooled great when it worked but it worked intermittently especially when first started. It might take 3 minutes before cold air would start.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have had the same problem with my 2011 Sonata since shortly after I bought it. If it isn't started for a couple of days it will take the A/C compressor a minute or two before it will kick in. Only does this if car has been started for several days. Dealer of course could never find problem as I had to drive car to dealer for them to check. Now it has stopped cooling altogether. I checked for voltage on compressor lead and it has none, but the fuse is good and the blower fan is working.

·
Registered
1 Posts
AC blower stops

I too have had problems with my 2011 Sonata GLS ac and taken it in for service 5 to 6 times. It began with 400 miles on it. After I drive for about 45 minutes or more at highway speeds, the ac will stop blowing. I have to turn it off and wait 5 minutes or so and then it will come back on. then it works for about 10 minutes then stops again. Living in Florida driving 5 minutes without air can be brutal. The dealer can't replicate it. Any suggestions?

·
Premium Member
1,284 Posts
It seems the 2011's had this problem the most. I had the factory compressor replaced and then the replacement compressor replaced 11 months later. The third times the charm it seems. My newest compressor has not experienced this problem yet and living in South Florida I would know.
I actually want a cooled seat and it's December!

BTW: Merry Christmas everyone and Happy New Year!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Air Con cools only while car moves

Hi,
I have a 2002 Accent and recently the AC started behaving weirdly. While the car was in motion, the A/C worked just fine. When the car was idling (at a stop light, for example) -- no more cooling.
The car was also revving on its own at this point.
It took a little while for the mechanic to figure this out (five months) but one of the wires of the TP sensor was cut. Now that that is fixed, it seems to be working fine. No more cooling problems, no more revving problems.
I don't know much about cars, but my guess is the TP sensor was feeding incorrect information to the ECU and causing idling problems, which might have caused problems in running the compressor.
Just thought I should post this as it was one of the stranger problems I've faced with the aircon.
Thanks.

·
Registered
7,746 Posts
On my old car this would happen. The clutch coil would get power but not engage. There was a shim behind the pulley and in front of the clutch coil. Took this out and it worked great. It may be a misadjusted clutch coil gap if the clutch is getting power but not pulling the pulley in.

One way to check this is turn on the AC and then bump the clutch pulley (which should not be turning) with a piece of wood. It it pops in and then runs the compressor that's the problem.

·
Premium Member
1,284 Posts
There is no external clutch on this compressor. Starting in 2011 the Sonata compressor went to a totally internal clutch. You cannot tell when the A/C compressor is engaged anymore except for a cold low side line. The is nothing that moves on the outside of the compressor except the drive belt.

·
Registered
113 Posts
A good whack with a tool is still a valid troubleshooting step... :) A/C compressor suspected of not engaging, hit it with a hammer. Starter suspected of not working, hit it with a hammer. Have a headache, hit your toe with a hammer.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have had the same issues with my 2012 Sonata since I bought it. They claim that is how this system works for this particular model/year. Of course, by the time I get all the way across town to the dealership it comes on.

·
Registered
2 Posts
A/C switches of after car start

I experience this problem with my 2014 Elantra, mainly on warm/hot days. As I turn the key, the A/C will switch-on (power on display), but after I start the car, the A/C will loose power. After a few restarts the A/C might stay on and work perfectly. If not, it may start working later on during my drive..

1 - 20 of 28 Posts