Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When the car is first started, the a/c works fine, fan sounds normal. After awhile, suddenly, there is a much louder rush of air sound, as if the fan speed has increased. However, at that point, the airflow diminishes to worthless, the opposite of what you'd expect. If the engine is shut off for awhile and restarted, all is normal again until the cycle starts over.
Why the loud air rushing sound, with no actual air flow? Baffle problem? Inadequate refrigerant ? Help much appreciated. Thank you. Frank

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
Sounds like icing of the evaporator core. Sometimes a symptom of a low charge. Sometimes it just happens. Had a 2001 Chevrolet Prizm (Toyota Carolla) that did that its entire life when the conditions were just right. Easiest way to melt the ice is to manually switch the compressor off and leave the air flow on medium. You will feel the airflow increase as the ice melts. The air will also remain fairly cold (but not dehumidified) until the ice is gone. Once the airflow is restored and the air is turning warm again, switch back to auto or manually turn the compressor back on.

Reactions: joegr

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, this seems quite possible, and I do know the charge is marginal, but it seems to happen quite suddenly. Maybe I'm wrong, will have to assess again. Will report back.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm pretty sure you were right. The system is now fully charged, I've driven many miles, and no recurrence. I did know I had a small leak-still needs to be fixed pending location of dye which was injected over a month ago. Thanks again!

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
Yeah, that Prizm would ice up after about 1-3 hours of driving if the air temp and humidity were just right. Never leaked. Always blew very cold compared to today's vehicles. Usually on the highway but sometimes in town. Just a part of its "personality." Never had that happen in the SFS yet.

·
Registered
121 Posts
I have the EXACT same problem on my 2014 Kia Sorento with the 2.4. Been to the dealer three times and cannot recreate the problem. Absolute PIA. Wondering if anyone found a solution to this as it seems to be a known issue.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts