Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey i have a 2008 Elantra and i am looking for info on how the air conditioning functions on this car, i may have a condenser fan issue.

since i purchased the car i have experienced a warmer at idle issue with the ac, sometimes it is worse than others, i breifly troubleshooted the condenser fan, and it was not running at that time, when i tapped the fuse box the fan turned on, but i think it may only be running at low speed as i cannot here the fan when it is running.

my questions are, when is the high speed relay suppose to kick in? and if i replace the high speed relay should it fix the issue i have?

·
Registered
169 Posts
We get the same AC not as cold issue with our 2010, that is not as good of performance at idle as it has while 1000+ RPM.s. I've topped off the 134a freon once after it was a can low, that was almost a year ago and it's still working fine.

·
Registered
306 Posts
What is warmer? A/C not being efficient or engine running a bit warmer? It will run a bit hotter. That is normal. You have higher load on the engine and less cooling.
As for A/C - it idle it may not get enough flow. All efficiency tests are conducted at elevated engine speeds (like 1500-2000 rpm).

The fan - if it must run on high - not necessarily. High speed will be required if engine is at certain temp and the condenser is not getting enough cooling.

Besides, the fan is temperature controlled (not only car movement) so if the condenser is cold enough, fan will not run.
Although, I found that not all years had exactly same logic...

·
Registered
8 Posts
I wouldn't think it'd be the compressor already unless it's really high miles, but back in the day I topped off an aunt's Celebrity with R12- it still basically blew warm air at idle, and wasn't really that low on refrigerant. The compressor was worn out they'd been told, and just wouldn't push the refrigerant unless the engine was running at speed. Going down the road was fine, but stoplights you didn't have a breath of cool air.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Hey, thank you for the replies and sorry it took so long to respond i lost my password!

Anyway, the efficiency of the ac is intermittent, yesterday it was 94 and 60%+ humidity and it barely worked at all, today is 80 and low humidity and it is working well so there is an idea on how it is working. About a 20 degree difference between today and yesterday.

I have cleaned the condenser and replaced the high speed relay and this has helped a little, most likely the condensor cleaning as it was a bit dirty.

I ordered an ac manifold guage set and will post the values when i get it in, also what should the values be normally?

Thank you 2009gls for the relay info, i appreciate it

Sent from my LM-Q710(FGN) using Tapatalk

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.