Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For the past few months, I've been hearing this sloshing/gurgling/bubbling noise in the dash. I assume it's related to the A/C, since every now and again when I first turn on the vents when the A/C is off, it smells horrible. If anyone here is familiar with the A/C evaporator stink in E39 BMWs, you know exactly the smell.
Anyway, I thought after reading around on a Veloster forum that it could possibly be the heater core, but that makes absolutely no sense since this car (as far as I know) doesn't have an electronic auxiliary water pump. The sound is heard from the time I first turn the key to ACC, and your keep hearing it while driving. Doesn't make a difference if the vents are on or off, heat or A/C, car running or off. If the power is on, you can hear the gurgling.
What can I do about this? I've tried unclogging the evaporator drain tube, but it's clear and the car drains plenty of water after running the air.

And don't tell me to bring it to the dealer. The car has 66k miles, no more warranty for that stuff, and I won't pay someone to do something I can do myself.

·
Registered
505 Posts
Gurgling sound heard inside the cabin usually points to the coolant lines. Trapped air in the system. Was the coolant recently replaced? Or were there any repair done in the cooling system? Could there be a leak? Do you smell coolant in or around the car? Is the temp gauge going up? You need to bleed the trapped air inside the cooling system. Parking on a hill or lift the front end helps a lot. Lots of diy on you tube.

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Gurgling sound heard inside the cabin usually points to the coolant lines. Trapped air in the system. Was the coolant recently replaced? Or were there any repair done in the cooling system? Could there be a leak? Do you smell coolant in or around the car? Is the temp gauge going up? You need to bleed the trapped air inside the cooling system. Parking on a hill or lift the front end helps a lot. Lots of diy on you tube.
I'll have to try to bleed the system. No coolant smell, no leaks as far as I know, and the temp stays one bar under the middle. I've topped off the coolant several times, but never completely flushed the system (it's about due for a flush, though).
The only thing I've noticed with the cooling system is that since I bought the car, it's used a small amount of coolant. Every month or so I have to top it off a couple ounces. Don't know where it's going, but my old Sonata never did that.
And I've owned this car since it was brand new, 14 miles.

·
Registered
505 Posts
When did you start hearing this gurgling sound? If you had the car since new, and never serviced the cooling system only top ups, that would be weird to suddenly have trapped air in the system. Was it a 2014 elantra? Maybe a pressure check is needed? Find an autopart store like carquest that rents out the tool for free. Basically buy and return with a full refund deal.

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Right, I'm not switching coolant either, so I will just do a drain and fill anyway.
The sound has been going on since this past spring probably, when we first started using the A/C. Last summer I don't remember having an issue with it.
It's a 2013, but a late production 11/2013.
A pressure check probably couldn't hurt. I might have to do that this weekend and see if that's the source. I'm still leaning more towards the A/C, though, especially since I'm getting a nasty mildew-type smell.

·
Registered
878 Posts
When did you start hearing this gurgling sound? If you had the car since new, and never serviced the cooling system only top ups, that would be weird to suddenly have trapped air in the system. Was it a 2014 elantra? Maybe a pressure check is needed? Find an autopart store like carquest that rents out the tool for free. Basically buy and return with a full refund deal.
What's with the 2014's?

·
Registered
505 Posts
Bad smelling vents.... changing your in cabin air filter and spraying lysol inside the front vents, inside the duct of the cabin filter, and outside below the windshield fresh air entry point should help. Liberally spray a couple of cans.

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I've already sprayed a ton of Ozium through the cabin filter housing and replaced the cabin filter. Hasn't helped.

·
Registered
878 Posts
I just run the heater full blast for about 2 minutes (recirc) and smell goes away.

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'll give it a try, but I don't think that'll solve the gurgling problem. I'll try to bleed the cooling system this weekend. Might be a good opportunity to drain & fill.

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I just run the heater full blast for about 2 minutes (recirc) and smell goes away.
I'll try that out. I've heard it's actually pretty effective, because the heat essentially kills the bacteria that are living in the system.

·
Registered
505 Posts
To get to all the bacteria in the ducts, turn on the engine, ac on max with front vents and floor mode, then start spraying into the outside fresh air vents. Use an entire 19 oz lysol can. Switch half way and turn the heat full max. This is just for your smelly vents.
The pressure test is for the gurgling.

·
Registered
1 Posts
For the past few months, I've been hearing this sloshing/gurgling/bubbling noise in the dash. I assume it's related to the A/C, since every now and again when I first turn on the vents when the A/C is off, it smells horrible. If anyone here is familiar with the A/C evaporator stink in E39 BMWs, you know exactly the smell.
Anyway, I thought after reading around on a Veloster forum that it could possibly be the heater core, but that makes absolutely no sense since this car (as far as I know) doesn't have an electronic auxiliary water pump. The sound is heard from the time I first turn the key to ACC, and your keep hearing it while driving. Doesn't make a difference if the vents are on or off, heat or A/C, car running or off. If the power is on, you can hear the gurgling.
What can I do about this? I've tried unclogging the evaporator drain tube, but it's clear and the car drains plenty of water after running the air.

And don't tell me to bring it to the dealer. The car has 66k miles, no more warranty for that stuff, and I won't pay someone to do something I can do myself.
I know I’m a bit late in this but did you ever solve the gurgling issue? And was your Veloster a 1.6T?

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I know I’m a bit late in this but did you ever solve the gurgling issue? And was your Veloster a 1.6T?
No, this was in an Elantra. I don't think I ever solved it. I remember trying to clean out the drain for the evaporator, but that didn't solve it.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Does it do it in the ACC position? I noted mine did, I cleaned the drain tube yet nothing really came out, but it solved it.... I get this every so often after long stretches of humidity.

I believe it is a circulation fan sloshing in the water.

·
Registered
485 Posts
There is also some sound from the evaporator in the normal use of the AC, as it's the Freon liquid evaporating in the evaporator causing it to get cool, it could change depending on your Freon level.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts