Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just picked up my car this past Sunday, and some day I'll tell you about that.

It's been a little humid on Long Island this week and I've been running the A/C or Climate Control for much of the time. For the rest of it I've had the windows down and roof open.

Today I had run the A/C while out to lunch and decided to shut it off and just have the outside air blow into the car while the windows were down. After shutting the A/C off, turning the recirc off and putting the fan on the highest setting, the A/C continued to blow. It was 80 degrees outside so I expected to feel some warmer air. I didn't just have this for a couple of minutes, I was driving for a half hour and it was still pumping out cold air.

Now I tried the same thing while using the Climate Control and the exact same thing occured after shutting the CC off and trying to get outside air inside while the windows were down.

No lights were on (A/C or CC) and the recirc light was off.

And yes, I could just turn the temperature gauge up to make the air feel warmer :wink2:, but I'm trying to find out why the A/C compressor keeps running.

Any ideas forum members?

·
Registered
149 Posts
Y'know.......I've noticed the same thing.

The air is colder than the outside temp air and yet the AC light isn't on.
I turn up the temp and I've always assumed that the compressor turns off though.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks HoleShot

Y'know.......I've noticed the same thing.

The air is colder than the outside temp air and yet the AC light isn't on.
I turn up the temp and I've always assumed that the compressor turns off though.
I'm glad I'm not the only one who noticed it. At least I won't be considered a nut by myself when I report the problem. :grin:

If that truly is the temp of the outside air, shouldn't a CAI go there? :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
The unit remembers the last setting for all functions once AUTO is turned off.

Once you're off AUTO, hit A/C so the button is lit and once more so the light goes off. The compressor will now remain off until you put the system in AUTO or hit A/C so the led is lit.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)

Once you're off AUTO, hit A/C so the button is lit and once more so the light goes off. The compressor will now remain off until you put the system in AUTO or hit A/C so the led is lit.
Then what is the sense in having the 'off' button for the Climate Control?

I just saying.

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
It's easy to bypass but I'm with you. If my compressor is on the AC light should be on, no matter if your in auto or manual. This way I can just look at the display and know if its on or not.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It's easy to bypass but I'm with you. If my compressor is on the AC light should be on, no matter if your in auto or manual. This way I can just look at the display and know if its on or not.
That was exactly my point (although I never actually put it in the post :eek:).

In my Honda Element, the thing I always hated was the air conditioner automatically came on when the front defroster was used, but the A/C light was not on and it should have been.

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
That was exactly my point (although I never actually put it in the post :eek:).

In my Honda Element, the thing I always hated was the air conditioner automatically came on when the front defroster was used, but the A/C light was not on and it should have been.
I've never had a car that didn't do that.

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
The system does a poor job communicating.

Try this:

Put the system in AUTO and set a mid temperature. Leave it there for a couple of minutes.

Now, change the mode selector to a different MODE, i.e. floor. Notice how the AUTO light goes off?

Now set a lower temperature by a few degrees.

You should notice the fan speed will modulate itself even though the system isn't technically in AUTO.

It's a little different to be sure, but once you understand how the system works it's simple to get it to do what you want.​

·
Registered
3,649 Posts
I had been wondering about this myself. Most auto systems I've had in previous cars went manual once any setting (fan speed, air direction etc) was changed/selected. So now I know how to fool this one. Great info.

·
Registered
3,649 Posts

So does each setting (fan speed, air direction etc) stay in memory until cancelled individually?

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
So does each setting (fan speed, air direction etc) stay in memory until cancelled individually?
From what I can tell yes, they all stay in "AUTO" mode even though the AUTO light isn't lit. Once you select that function, they revert to full manual control.

·
Registered
637 Posts
When I want to shut my A/C off I just push the windshield defrost button and then push off. It works like a charm.

Point is we shouldn't have to go through these hoops n hurdles
just to turn off our AC. Whether we turn off Auto or AC, we
should, within 30sec, start to feel muggy humid air, or at least
warmer air blowing through the ducts, just like in any AC-
equipped car built since the Bay of Pigs.

·
Registered
637 Posts
From what I can tell yes, they all stay in "AUTO" mode even though the AUTO light isn't lit. Once you select that function, they revert to full manual control.

When in Auto mode, if I press the "person" symbol in the middle,
the Auto light goes out, and the ducts I previously selected, in
manual, illuminate, and air comes out of them, but it is still
compressored-cold air.

In a normal system, pressing either (1)Auto a second
time or (2)any manual function should disable Auto mode,
including the compressor.

But no, in Auto-climate-equipped Sonatas I must press AC
and then press it again a few seconds later to disable it!

How difficult, Hyundai, is it to design a practical climate system??

Makes me long for a basic old-fashion three-knob(fan, function,
temperature) system that has worked for decades.

·
Registered
637 Posts
I've never had a car that didn't do that.

Welcome to 2016, where car systems try to 'think'
for you!

Look at the steering on the YFs: trying to 'help'
you steer, particularly on highways at over 50mph.

Even in Sport, you still feel like a frickin DRUNK
DRIVER... smh

·
Registered
27 Posts
Based on the temperature & humidity, the system sometimes engages the compressor to dry the air to prevent window fogging.

·
Registered
1 Posts

Yes you are right.My Acura was like that too until I figured out how to put it completely out.
Now this Hyundai I haven't been able to figure out.I shall give your suggestion a try.I hope it works.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts