Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The compressor fuse in our 2001 XG300 keeps blowing. I replaced the 10 amp fuse with a 15 amp fuse and the A/C works but I smell some burning.

Not sure if it is the compressor or just a wiring fault.

Any advice???




Peter
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
15,116 Posts
as you said there is an obvious fault. do not replace fuses with a higher rating than is specified this can cause damage or even a fire. unplug the wiring at the compressor and then see if the ten amp fuse blows. this will at least give you an idea if it's the wiring or the compressor, but to be honest you are going to need proffesional help with this
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,927 Posts
Dear Peter,

Concur with montego. Your system did not blow fuses before and worked. Now, you blow a 10 Amp fuse and smell something burning.

Diagnose if you do have a wiring fault as montego suggested.
Disconnect the wire connector at the A/C compressor.
Turn the A/C on with the engine running.
Observe if the fuse blows again....you have a wiring fault. Fuse does not blow within a reasonable time, then you likely have a component pulling too much amperage.

I did some research on the fuses supporting your A/C in you 2001 XG300. I recommend that you inspect these fuses.

a) Under the bonnet you have an engine compartment fuse box. Locate and inspect the fuse labeled A/CON 15A.
B) Inside the car's inner panel fuse box, locate and inspect the fuse labeled A/C Switch 10A.
c) Locate and inspect the fuse further down labeld A/CON 10A.
d) Locate and inspect the fuse labeled IGN 10A (also protects the A/C).
e) If any of these are also blown or partly melted, you do have something drawing a heavy amperage.

The most likely culprit is one of the A/C wires that has chafed or been cut and is now touching bare metal somewhere. You will have to trace bacwards from your A/C compressor and inspect the wires.

Byron
 

·
Registered
2005 XG350
Joined
·
2 Posts
Dear Peter,
Concur with montego. Your system did not blow fuses before and worked. Now, you blow a 10 Amp fuse and smell something burning.
Diagnose if you do have a wiring fault as montego suggested.
Disconnect the wire connector at the A/C compressor.
Turn the A/C on with the engine running.
Observe if the fuse blows again....you have a wiring fault. Fuse does not blow within a reasonable time, then you likely have a component pulling too much amperage.
I did some research on the fuses supporting your A/C in you 2001 XG300. I recommend that you inspect these fuses.
a) Under the bonnet you have an engine compartment fuse box. Locate and inspect the fuse labeled A/CON 15A.
B) Inside the car's inner panel fuse box, locate and inspect the fuse labeled A/C Switch 10A.
c) Locate and inspect the fuse further down labeld A/CON 10A.
d) Locate and inspect the fuse labeled IGN 10A (also protects the A/C).
e) If any of these are also blown or partly melted, you do have something drawing a heavy amperage.
The most likely culprit is one of the A/C wires that has chafed or been cut and is now touching bare metal somewhere. You will have to trace bacwards from your A/C compressor and inspect the wires.
Byron
 
1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Top