Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, today I was putting in a new garage door opener since the old one finally gave out. I have 2 bikes that hang off hooks on the ceiling (side 1) that I kept bumping into all day. Well, finally the front hook gave way sending the bike cartwheeling off the other hook. It swung back so far, in fact, that it smashed the light on the ceiling in the middle of the two car garage. Worse, it landed on my 3-week old GLS. It looks like the handbrake on the bike punctured the hood.

So, have a look at these pics and tell me how bad I just effed up my ride. Obviously, I'm going to have to have this repaired since the hole goes all the way through. Just wondering if in your opinions, this could be body-filled/painted or if I'm looking at a new hood.

FML...

Attachments

·
Registered
884 Posts
First, condolences man. If that happened to my car after 3 weeks I'd probably cry. Heck, or even now, after a year plus.

I can't offer anything on the repair, but I will say the fact that the steel hood was punctured by the bike makes me queasy. That must be some seriously thin steel, no?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. I did feel sick, but was surprisingly calm. The way it all went down, I'm lucky this is all that happened.

On closer examination, it looks like it was the sprocket that hit the car, so the puncture makes more sense. I'm going to take it to a body shop tomorrow.

·
Retired Staff
11,818 Posts
A good body shop should be able to fix that. New may be similar price though or junkyard possibly cheaper if you can find paint code match.

·
Registered
1,942 Posts
At least it's the hood and not the roof.

·
Registered
788 Posts
Yikes! Sorry to see this happen to you. I would opt for a new hood as well.

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
I think a body shop can repair that for less than the cost of a new hood.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
$650 was the quote I received today to repair hood.

What say you, board? I was hoping for around $500. Guy advised me in the strongest terms not to buy a hood online and have it painted.

·
Banned
1,090 Posts
You'll have to paint another hood, as well. Can try a junkyard. Chances are slim but seems to work well for some. Will need to have it installed though, with a buddy...then get rid of the old one.

·
Registered
2013 Hyundai Santa Fe Sport
2,291 Posts
Condolences OP. I had a real estate sign hit my left rear door (stupid landlord!) and gashed me. Never got it fixed and just learned to live with it.

$650 is very reasonable considering the amount of work required (hood removal and replace, painting, sanding, etc...) Go out of pocket since I am willing to bet your ins deductible is $500 - $1000 and the rate will go up for this (its a comp claim but its your fault).

Best of luck.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts