Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'll start off this thread by giving a little background about my Hyundai experience so far. In 2006 I purchased my first sonata, a 2006 GLS V6. I still have the car at 100,000 miles and going strong. Previously, I worshiped at the temple of honda. Am very happy with my transfer over to hyundai since I consider them the most up and coming of the automotive industry currently.
i have been a member here for sometime however it has been quite a while since i actually have posted anything. I mostly read up on things in the sonata world. At this point I have sold my wife's 05 honda accord to truely become honda free. I am now driving a black 2011 sonata GLS auto. This post is really just a list of things that I have have found to be positives and negative about our car. Please feel free to comment and add to the thread.

Negatives:

1. Air vents- though they look cool are placed rather poorly. i find my hands getting cold as they are directly pointed at my hands and must be positioned up.

2. Rough/Noisy engine at start- the 2.4 GDI engine reminds me of a VW TDI car. Not really an issue if you actually just get in and drive.

3. Auto shifter (Problem)- this is one of 2 actual problems with my vehicle. There is supposedly a TSB on this but when I put the car into park it doesn't always allow the key to release. Has happened way to often and will be going to Hyundai Sat. to address the issue.

4. Steering on Rough surface/Unfinished road- this is actually a very unsettling experience. I was driving to a paintball field I worked at and driving the unfinished road driving was terrible. Worse than any car I've ever driven. Steering column felt like it was banging metal to metal.

5. Auto-window up control- won't always go up if I haven't started the window moving first.

6. Horn- this has been well discussed here. I just feel like i have this awesome looking car and then i blow my horn. Like being a body builder like Arnold or Lou with Michael Jackson's voice. wtf.

7. "Tinny" Door closure sound- My 06 sonata door closed with authority. These door don't feel lighter but sound it.

8. weak FM signal (again) (Problem)- I tinted my 2006 and 2011 sonatas. Lost AM, which was to be expected but lost FM as well. Replaced the radio in the 2006. Not sure what will happen with the 2011. (I would love to hear from anyone on this one esp.)

Positives

1. Look- Can I start by saying that I love aggressive looking cars. Had 01 and 02 honda accord coupes. an acura RSX. I've also had several other but loved those cars. I LOVE THE WAY THIS CAR LOOKS! IT'S HOT! Like the 240 sx was in the early 90's. Just an awesome looking car.

2. Interior look and layout (save the air vents)- also very aggressive. Lights and instruments are great. more storage for stuff. Cup holders improved and in doors!

3. Shift-tronic- I'm still messing around with this one. Looking at the use of it in a power driving versus economy driving. I've noticed that when I shift from D to the shift-tronic on the highway it is ALWAYS in 5th. Why not 6th? Very responsive though.

4. Bluetooth/ Ipod jack- By far my favorite feature. Its so nice to not have to look down or hold the phone. No annoying earbug either.

5. Good stock sound system- Plenty loud w good adjustments for a stock system.

6. Hubs and Wheels- I didn't want the hubs and steel wheels but I'll try to buy the 18 inch SE rims later if i can. (BTW can someone tell me if they fit, I think they do) But for a hub and steel wheel I really like them and can deal without the Rims for a while.

7. Survivable materials- I have two young children and the car so far seems to be able to hold up to the traffic of these two beasts. Time will tell!

8. Steering wheel controls- make life much easier.

9. Value- I got a great deal on my GLS. But for everything included in the car and the fact that its my daily driver its the best deal I could get hands down. 10yr / 100,000 miles is too cool. And these cars now seem like they're built to actually hold up into the long term.

Please feel free to comment with useful responses or additions.
JT

·
Registered
548 Posts
QUOTE (jtaylor @ Jul 15 2010, 01:56 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=342017
But all the time? It does this even when I'm crusin with RPMs around 2000. IDK but thx.
I've always wondered this myself. Whenever I shift to manual mode in any other gear, it stays in that gear... except when in 6th... very strange.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Thanks for the report. I am thinking of buying one. It looks great but some of the negatives I read really bother me.

How about the steering (i.e. pulling one way)? I read on another forum that it is a major issue.

QUOTE (jtaylor @ Jul 14 2010, 03:46 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=341788
I'll start off this thread by giving a little background about my Hyundai experience so far. In 2006 I purchased my first sonata, a 2006 GLS V6. I still have the car at 100,000 miles and going strong. Previously, I worshiped at the temple of honda. Am very happy with my transfer over to hyundai since I consider them the most up and coming of the automotive industry currently.
i have been a member here for sometime however it has been quite a while since i actually have posted anything. I mostly read up on things in the sonata world. At this point I have sold my wife's 05 honda accord to truely become honda free. I am now driving a black 2011 sonata GLS auto. This post is really just a list of things that I have have found to be positives and negative about our car. Please feel free to comment and add to the thread.

Negatives:

1. Air vents- though they look cool are placed rather poorly. i find my hands getting cold as they are directly pointed at my hands and must be positioned up.

2. Rough/Noisy engine at start- the 2.4 GDI engine reminds me of a VW TDI car. Not really an issue if you actually just get in and drive.

3. Auto shifter (Problem)- this is one of 2 actual problems with my vehicle. There is supposedly a TSB on this but when I put the car into park it doesn't always allow the key to release. Has happened way to often and will be going to Hyundai Sat. to address the issue.

4. Steering on Rough surface/Unfinished road- this is actually a very unsettling experience. I was driving to a paintball field I worked at and driving the unfinished road driving was terrible. Worse than any car I've ever driven. Steering column felt like it was banging metal to metal.

5. Auto-window up control- won't always go up if I haven't started the window moving first.

6. Horn- this has been well discussed here. I just feel like i have this awesome looking car and then i blow my horn. Like being a body builder like Arnold or Lou with Michael Jackson's voice. wtf.

7. "Tinny" Door closure sound- My 06 sonata door closed with authority. These door don't feel lighter but sound it.

8. weak FM signal (again) (Problem)- I tinted my 2006 and 2011 sonatas. Lost AM, which was to be expected but lost FM as well. Replaced the radio in the 2006. Not sure what will happen with the 2011. (I would love to hear from anyone on this one esp.)

Positives

1. Look- Can I start by saying that I love aggressive looking cars. Had 01 and 02 honda accord coupes. an acura RSX. I've also had several other but loved those cars. I LOVE THE WAY THIS CAR LOOKS! IT'S HOT! Like the 240 sx was in the early 90's. Just an awesome looking car.

2. Interior look and layout (save the air vents)- also very aggressive. Lights and instruments are great. more storage for stuff. Cup holders improved and in doors!

3. Shift-tronic- I'm still messing around with this one. Looking at the use of it in a power driving versus economy driving. I've noticed that when I shift from D to the shift-tronic on the highway it is ALWAYS in 5th. Why not 6th? Very responsive though.

4. Bluetooth/ Ipod jack- By far my favorite feature. Its so nice to not have to look down or hold the phone. No annoying earbug either.

5. Good stock sound system- Plenty loud w good adjustments for a stock system.

6. Hubs and Wheels- I didn't want the hubs and steel wheels but I'll try to buy the 18 inch SE rims later if i can. (BTW can someone tell me if they fit, I think they do) But for a hub and steel wheel I really like them and can deal without the Rims for a while.

7. Survivable materials- I have two young children and the car so far seems to be able to hold up to the traffic of these two beasts. Time will tell!

8. Steering wheel controls- make life much easier.

9. Value- I got a great deal on my GLS. But for everything included in the car and the fact that its my daily driver its the best deal I could get hands down. 10yr / 100,000 miles is too cool. And these cars now seem like they're built to actually hold up into the long term.

Please feel free to comment with useful responses or additions.
JT

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
QUOTE (Leftcoast22 @ Jul 15 2010, 06:50 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=342110
Thanks for the report. I am thinking of buying one. It looks great but some of the negatives I read really bother me.

How about the steering (i.e. pulling one way)? I read on another forum that it is a major issue.
I have NOT had that as an issue. Pretty much straight. No pulling. I would drive one before deciding for myself. i drove the GLS manual. Hated it! Clutch was way to low/far away in the car. IDK maybe it was just me.

·
Registered
268 Posts
I had the problem with the key being stuck in the ignition as well.

i actually had to get the car towed to the dealer because i couldnt get it out and the dealer fixed it

i guess its good your getting that checked out before it happens to you

1 - 7 of 7 Posts