Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I was wondering if anyone knew how to go about finding a cruise control pin-out for my 1999 Volkswagen Passat 1.8L T, AEB. It is the drive by cable variant. I have looked quite substantially online, but all I could find that gave me some idea of the pin-out is the 'Bentley Test', which is used to determine if your car wiring harness side of the cruise control system is functioning properly. While this does give some general idea about some pins' functionality, I would like to know all of them before proceeding.

As noted on some of my previous replies on Autosparks DIY cruise control thread, I am looking to build a cruise control system from scratch as well, and need to know the exact pin-out of the cruise control module. I am fairly comfortable with the programming side of creating a cruise control system with an Arduino, but less comfortable with interfacing it with a 12v driven vehicle wiring harness. I have done quite a bit of research with mosfets and relays, to translate voltage and switch any high amperage pins as necessary, but I'm not sure what all of the pins do, so I need that to get a solid foundation on which to start building my prototype breadboard.

For those interested in what I have already tried:
I did the full Bentley test about a year ago. This verified that the resume, set, on, off, and accelerate all work on the cruise control stalk. It also showed that the wheel speed sensor was functioning correctly, as well as the electric vacuum pump for pulling down the throttle body. Lastly, it showed that the clutch switch and brake switch still worked properly.
So under the assumption that it could only be the module, I bought a used 'working' one about a year ago. swapped it in, and got nothing. So I looked up repair videos and tried fixing all of the solder joints that are known to go bad on the one sided PCB's, still nothing. fast-forward to 1 month ago, I bought another used 'working' one. This one also didn't work. I then bought 3 new relays, and replaced the relays on all three CCM's I now have, as well as retouched most bad looking solder joints on all three. still none of them work.

Alas, time to build my own from an Arduino.

·
Registered
6,791 Posts
You are in a Hyundai forum asking about a VW. My suggestion is to go to a VW forum.

·
Registered
Drives : Nissan NV200 Flies : Rans S6ES
14,568 Posts
I was wondering if anyone knew how to go about finding a cruise control pin-out for my 1999 Volkswagen Passat 1.8L T, AEB.
Sure, just ask on the Hyundai forum....see below.

What jumps out at me on this diagram is switches F & F47. These two switches work opposite one another. When you press the brake pedal F closes (sending voltage to the brake lights) and F47 opens. So I'm not sure how the brake signal ever gets to the CCS module. The power that is being switched on by switch F is being simultaneously switched off by F47. At least that's how it looks on the diagram.

Anyway, I hope the diagram helps you track down a fault on the original CCS to save you from having to build your own.

·
Registered
6,791 Posts
Ye see, that's how good this forum is. Even folk with VWs come here for help....and get it :D
I didn't think we could help the enemy. LOL
Here's a different diagram to go by. It's the same info but may be a little easier to follow.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Have you used a scan tool for any dtc`s the ecm controls all the cruise control options, did you change out the ecm? . My bentley manual for 1999 to 2003 vw with 1.8t and other assorted motors says there is a activation code and a deactivation code you can or need to enter with the scan tool. This comes from someone who has owned and worked on 8 vw`s from 1969 to 2003.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ive ran the activation code as you described, but it failed. I have the 99 passat service manual and that is where i got the activation code from. I believe i read somewhere that that is for the drive by wire systems? I could be wrong. However, my passat is definitely drive by cable. ECM is still original. I do always have dtcs for too lean codes, but that is a different problem i have never gotten to the root of. clearing the dtcs does not enable cruise control to function.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I understand almost all of the diagram now after a lot of digestion time haha, but am wondering if you guys understand the three wire interaction with the vaccuum pump. i assume they are used to either run the pump, keep it holding vaccuum, or release vacuum pressure. But from the diagram, is there a way to tell which one does which? And can you tell if they are actual high amperage load wires that run the pump, or are they just signal wires?

·
Registered
Drives : Nissan NV200 Flies : Rans S6ES
14,568 Posts
But from the diagram, is there a way to tell which one does which?
The symbols on the diagram give us a pretty big clue. There is a symbol for an electric motor (the pump) and a symbol for a solenoid (actuator control valve). You'll notice that one of the wires is common to both the pump and the solenoid (terminal 1), and I'd expect that to be a power supply. Terminal 2 is the pump control wire, which I'd expect to be a switched ground to turn the vacuum pump on. Terminal 3 is the solenoid control wire (which in turn controls the throttle actuator), which I'd expect to be a ground side PWM signal.

Tiuipuv said:
And can you tell if they are actual high amperage load wires that run the pump, or are they just signal wires?
These are all load wires carrying the full current of the pump motor and solenoid.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts