Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
15,117 Posts
its very likely you have damaged the valves, all you can do is fit a new belt, turn the engine over by hand to make sure that it all turns over freelly and if it does do a compression check, however l would lay money on you having to take the head off to replace bent valves

·
Premium Member
15,117 Posts
you will have a tough time trying to buy a car nowdays that has not got an interference engine, having said that many manufactures are moving over to chain driven engines. as for your other comments if you were to spend a few weeks working in a multi franchise vehicle workshop you would find that the vast majority of vehicles are put together in the same way, in fact repair times for most of the hyundai models are as good if not better that most of the other leading makes, for example l can think of two other models that you have to remove the engine and transmission to change the cam. belt!

·
Premium Member
15,117 Posts
QUOTE (merryfrankster @ Jun 9 2010, 09:21 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=331404
Just so you know, I own, operate, and maintain a fleet of rental vehicles, and I am taking time away from business to address what I feel is a very important question being raised here. In my business, maintenance and reliability are the single biggest operational issues that we focus on, more than marketing. Why? Because, in the hyper-competitive customer-driven and reputation-driven world that I live in, if a company can't offer a good product, marketing won't do jack, except maybe increase the amount of the operating losses. All our cars are imports, with models from the late 90's and early 00's. Comparatively speaking, I can tell you that, despite being popular with customers, the 97 Hyundai Elantra is the most troublesome for ongoing maintenance, as compared to our Toyotas, Hondas, and even Suzukis of comparable vintage. You didn't mention what multi-franchise dealer you've worked with, maybe you've been associated with some of those brands that nearly went under financially in recent years? For laughing out loud. Anyway it seems from your attempt at a refutation that you did not appreciate my original comment, but for perspective, keep in mind that the comment applies specifically to the 2G Elantra, maybe newer Hyundais do not present the same difficulties and disadvantages, and if so, maybe you could present the case of how those issues have been solved in newer generations rather than argue that they are issues shared by most cars, which somehow makes them ok. Have you raised teen-agers? Then I'm sure that you've often pointed out to them that just because everyone else does something wrong, that doesn't make it right. This time I am really chuckling, and counting my blessings that I do not have to pull the engine to change the dome light bulb, on any of my cars. Phew, what a relief.

wow, my comments really have touched a raw nerve with you, they were not meant to. you are of course entitled to your opinion and l was just stating mine. there is no way that l am getting involved in any arguments about this one way or another they were just my personal observations on the subject after being in the motor trade for 45 years

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.