Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1999 Elantra with about 76000 miles. For the last couple of weeks it has been sputtering and sounding like it's going to die right after I start it up. It also is worse when I turn on the a/c. Seems to be mostly better once its driven but is still a little rough if I try the a/c when it's idling. I know I need to take it in and probably an easy diagnosis but just wanted a little clue as to what or how costly of a repair it may be. Thanks!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok well I had fuel and air filters replaced to try an easy fix first. Seemed to kind of work for about a day. Since then it's been having kinda the same problem but even more now with hesitation and trouble accelerating. Probably need new spark plugs so I think I'll try that. However, the check engine also came on so I took it to my mechanic for a diagnosis as I would imagine the light is due to the same issue causing my problems. They messed with it for quite awhile and said they couldn't get my car to communicate with the computer so recommended I try the dealership which I REALLY! don't want to do. So I guess I'm wondering if this communication problem is common? Will the dealer likely have same problem anyway because I imagine they will charge me a ton just for trying. I'm thinking about just trying the spark plugs to hope for the best and then disconnect battery to reset the check engine and see if my problems clear up....any suggestions?

·
Registered
4,851 Posts
When the check engine light came on, it meant there was trouble codes stored in memory. Did the mechanic tell you exactly what those codes were? We could probably tell you how to fix it if we can get the codes.

If you disconnect the battery, the codes will be wiped out, and it will take a week or two of driving to reset the computer to get emissions information

1 - 9 of 9 Posts