Hyundai Forums banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
5,387 Posts
The bolts on the back side are the ones you are interested in. The bolts on the front behind the pulley do not need to be removed.

·
Registered
2,621 Posts
Going on your pic of the pump the belt adjustment is done by lostening the bolt accessed thru the hole in the pump pulley. You will also need to loosen 2 other bolts that lock it all in place. I can see by the length/position of the bracket that the one at the front is the slotted hole for adjustment.

·
Registered
2,621 Posts
Yes to allow the pump to rotate taking the tension off the belt if you pust the pump towards the engine. Sometimes they are not that tight.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Ok, give the guy a cigar who said he ever saw a ps pump seize. It's not suitable for a windmill but it does turn. I have removed the ps pum completely and now the engine will turn over. However, i think my trigger finger may have caused the timing belt to jump a tooth or two. So looks like a tow to the garage. I am not doing a timing belt and a water pump.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Ok, give the guy a cigar who said he ever saw a ps pump seize. It's not suitable for a windmill but it does turn. I have removed the ps pum completely and now the engine will turn over. However, i think my trigger finger may have caused the timing belt to jump a tooth or two. So looks like a tow to the garage. I am not doing a timing belt and a water pump.
I am assuming it is the water pump that shares the belt with the power steering.

·
Registered
2,621 Posts
I am a little confused now. Didn't this post start with the air con compressor seized? Getting to you concerns with the timing belt nothing you have done can cause the belt to jump teeth. Even if a component was seized stopping a belt to drive you need to remember that both the timing belt and drive belts are driven by the same crank pulley. Now you have all the belts off it should start if the real problem was a seized component.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Yes to allow the pump to rotate taking the tension off the belt if you pust the pump towards the engine. Sometimes they are not that tight.
Unfortunately for me, its not the PS pump. I think the only other thing attached to the belt is the water pump. which makes sense as far as seizing goes. Engine now cranks over with the belt loose, but I jumped a tooth in the process. Towing to the garage this week for water pump and timing belt, assuming I didnt damage anything by jumping a tooth.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
I am a little confused now. Didn't this post start with the air con compressor seized? Getting to you concerns with the timing belt nothing you have done can cause the belt to jump teeth. Even if a component was seized stopping a belt to drive you need to remember that both the timing belt and drive belts are driven by the same crank pulley. Now you have all the belts off it should start if the real problem was a seized component.
Yes originally I posted ac seized. But I was not able to change the thread title.

From the diagrams in this thread, the only thing on the belt was the water pump. Once I removed the tension on the water pump belt I was able to crank the engine. But now it will crank but not start. When I had tension on the belt, the engine would not crank. Car was perfectly tuned prior to the water pump seizing. There should be no reason for no start unless I jumped the timing. I had not tampered with anything electrical.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
I am so confused.....

The water pump can not be seized. The reason is because it is now isolated from the ps pump and attached to the Crank with a belt. But what confuses me is that the pulley off the block with no fluid, will turn. But when it was attached to the water pump with a belt it would not. Will a bad ps pump stop turning under load if it is bad?

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
I am so confused.....

The water pump can not be seized. The reason is because it is now isolated from the ps pump and attached to the Crank with a belt. But what confuses me is that the pulley off the block with no fluid, will turn. But when it was attached to the water pump with a belt it would not. Will a bad ps pump stop turning under load if it is bad?
Clarification: with ps pump off the block the engine and water pump will turn over. where before it would not turn over. But the ps pulley does move but does not spin. Not sure how much it should spin freely. This one does not spin freely but does turn by hand.

·
Registered
2,621 Posts
The power steer will turn but with a little resistance because it's trying to pump oil. You should be in a position to try and rotate all the parts etc to see just who the offender is. You mentioned a burnt belt so I suggest you stick there and check those parts. You may have disconnected something that's preventing the engine from starting. Will it crank over OK? You should hear it cranking against compression. Might pay to take the top cam cover off and check the valve timing as a process of elimination.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Everything turns with the ps pump gone. But like I said. Timing is off now. Must have jumped a tooth. I got a used ps pump on the way. Before I take it to the shop, I need to change the pump. In any case, shop will have to reset timing. Thats above my paygrade.

21 - 34 of 34 Posts