Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
OK the resevoir filled up after the car sat for a few minutes. The belt has black powder on the underside. I suspect that the belt is bad and maybe heating the pulley.

·
Registered
629 Posts
Opposite. The pulley doesn't turn and the belt slides around the pulley. If A/C compressor and it's frozen, cut the belt, but not certain as to what that belt turns, get one for a car w/o a/c, if PS....................

·
Registered
2,664 Posts
Have a look and see what else is driven by the belt. Not that hard. If anything else is my guess is you won't be able to drive it without the belt but saying that with a frozen compressor it's catch 22 unless it's the only thing driven by the belt.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Have a look and see what else is driven by the belt. Not that hard. If anything else is my guess is you won't be able to drive it without the belt but saying that with a frozen compressor it's catch 22 unless it's the only thing driven by the belt.
I have the shop manuals and there is scant information about the belts. As far as I can tell, the PS belt can be cut. Does anyone have more information on the belts on a 2.0L sonata 1998

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Something must be seized up. Cranking is extremely difficult. I really want to cut the ps pump.
I can take the ps pump off without cutting the belt. But I don't see any tensioner on the PS belt. If I take the PS off, Im afraid that if it spins freely, that I might not be able to get the belt back on.

·
Registered
2,664 Posts
Can yo post a pic of your belt arrangement? If the engine has 3 belts it's most likely the air is a stand alone belt that will have 3 pulleys. The belt will go around the crankshaft then the air compressor and a tensioner adjusting pulley. If so yes you can cut it without affecting anything else.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So I have three belts.
  • power steering
  • alternator
  • a/c
I believe tha a/c is out of the picture. PS pulley was very hot. Today I will take the PS pump off. I can not see how to put tension on the PS belt.

Horrible question: How likely is it that if the PS pump seized that it might cause the timing to jump.

·
Registered
5,441 Posts
I don't know what kind of shop manual you have but it should show you how to adjust the tensioners for the belts. If not, you don't have a shop manual.

·
Registered
2,664 Posts
I have seen plenty leak and make noises but the only way it could seize is to rum out of oil but it's the air con your concerned about. How many belt does the engine have?

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I have 3 belts plus timing belt.

the PS pulley was very hot and smoke was coming from around the pump. Tomorrow I will remove the last remaining 2 bolts off the PS pump. 7 bolts in total. Unreal.

MBC failed also. So I have two jobs Im working on. If its not the PS seized then maybe the waterpump? I think they are on the same shaft. The hot PS pulley makes me suspicious.

·
Registered
2,664 Posts
Why are you removing the pump? It's got a simple sliding slotted bracket to loosen the belt. Once loosened you can then rotate the pump by hand to see what may be wrong and go from there.
Surely you can look with the engine running to see what's not turning.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I cant find a slotted bracket to loosen the belt. The only two bolts holding the pump right now are behind the pulley.

I cant start the engine due to one of the belts hold the crank.

·
Registered
726 Posts
you can see the adjusting slot on the top of the bracket and there are 2 belts running off the water pump. If you suspect something is seized, remove all the belts and turn by hand all items except the crank, you should find the issue pretty quick. There are openings in the PS pump pulley to access the bolts,

1 - 20 of 35 Posts