Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings everyone, I can't figure this out and need some advice on what i should be replacing next (sigh):

Whats new:
Rebuilt Transmission,
New Brakes,
New Tires,
New Timing Chain,
New Battery,
New Battery Cables,
New Oil Pump,
New Thermostat,
New Belts,
New Platinum Plugs,
New Plug Cables-

Now for what is still going on - The car shifts erratically and the revs at times go up and down like a roller coaster. My only thought is maybe now I need to replace the Input/Output sensors?

A little history on this car - We bought it used for our daughter, she really wanted it. Since we've had it we've had nothing but problems with it to some extent. I do not blame the car, but rather the previous owner on proper maintenance. This car does NOT degrade the image I have of Hyundai's in general as a brand. Apart from the erratic revs, I cannot think of changing/buying something else to fix this? Our daughter no longer wants the car, and rather than give it away for peanuts, I will take it over as my daily driver but need to remedy the revs issue.

·
Registered
71 Posts
It's possible that you need to replace the TCU (Transmission Control Unit, the computer that controls the transmission). They were subject to a TSB (Technical Service Bulletin)/recall. Read all about it at www.hmaservice.com. Register, and do a "Detail Search" on the word "transaxle" for your car. Check the part number of your current TCU, and if it is the older part number, replace it with one that has the newer part number. You should be able to order one from a salvage yard at a reasonable cost - search on www.car-parts.com. You can also read my previous post on this subject, from about one year ago. Good luck.

PS. Before you proceed, check the ground connections, make sure they are clean, as described on hmaservice.com.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you sir, I will check the TCU but our local hyundai dealer closed shop last year and so most likely I will have to source one from a junk yard or online.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
ok I took it to AdvancedAuto parts here locally, they hooked up the little doodad that reads codes, and it turns ouot i have a missfire in cylinder#3 and also the TPS sensor went sour (it seems thats why the revs were all over the place), I took her back home and guess what? I inspected the cable and sure enough the cap that rests over the spark plug is burned through. so all in all at least now i know what to fix. thank everyone for all your help, cheers!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts