Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello;
After reading posts on the automatic transmission fluid replacement, I notice this:
when draining and replacing the filter (dropping the pan)= should expect 4 qts dropped
when removing the side plug (not dropping the pan )= should expect 2 qts dropped.
Can anybody verify these numbers ?
Thank you

·
Registered
2,999 Posts
QUOTE (castironman @ Dec 16 2010, 07:38 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=380702
Hello;
After reading posts on the automatic transmission fluid replacement, I notice this:
when draining and replacing the filter (dropping the pan)= should expect 4 qts dropped
when removing the side plug (not dropping the pan )= should expect 2 qts dropped.
Can anybody verify these numbers ?
Thank you
Don't know about your car, but on my santa fe when you do a pan dump/drain plug, you get about half of the fluid out(there will always be leftover fluid). On mine it was around 5quarts on a 10 quart system. So dump out what comes out, measure how much it was and put that amount of new back in and then drive it around for a while. Then do the same thing again. At that point, you will have around 75%/80% new fluid in your system. You should be good to go. A lot cheaper than taking it to a dealership.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
QUOTE (johnaauld @ Dec 23 2010, 09:53 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=382743
Don't know about your car, but on my santa fe when you do a pan dump/drain plug, you get about half of the fluid out(there will always be leftover fluid). On mine it was around 5quarts on a 10 quart system. So dump out what comes out, measure how much it was and put that amount of new back in and then drive it around for a while. Then do the same thing again. At that point, you will have around 75%/80% new fluid in your system. You should be good to go. A lot cheaper than taking it to a dealership.
Thank you for your reply. When I drained the transmission, only 1 qt came out. I was looking at the repair history and it was serviced last year at the Dealership. The last owner complained about erratic shift and the pulse generator was replaced, she told me that it was not fixed and she went back many times. I guess nobody checked the fluid level... Damage is done, but runs better now than before (it took 3 1/4 qt).
Thank you for your response. Merry Christmas to you and your family.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts