Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone!

My girlfriend had a old Accent that's been standing idle for about 2 years now since we never had the money to repair it. We found a buyer but is having some problems starting her up again!

A new fresh battery and it ignites when I use some starter spray in the air intake but it never goes on. I'm thinking that it's not getting any fuel to the engine! What's the best way to check if that's the case?

·
Registered
3,151 Posts
for starting problems, use FAS: Fuel, Air, Spark.

for fuel just turn it over a few times and pull a plug out. should be wet with fuel. try each one. you can also listen to the injectors to see if they are opening correctly with a mechanic's stethoscope. after that, you'd have to test the fuel pressure.

big question here is once its started, does it run ok? that would eliminate a few possibilities if it does.

possible the plugs are just worn/corroded from sitting so long or the wires have broken down. coils could be another thought. i'd replace the sparks regardless at this point. you have no way of knowing what kind of crap has been deposited on them after all this time. wires can generally be tested with a multimeter on resistance and just visually for cracks/breaks. check the connecting ends for corrosion. the coils i would start with a plug indicator light or an old timing light to check each coil is consistently sending a pulse down each wire.

air is simple, check the intake filter and hose/box for any blockages. a rats nest is a good one :)

after that start thinking sensors, but only then. code scanner is pretty much essential at this point.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts