Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My '98 Accent has recently developed a starting issue. If I start it every day it turns over and starts up and runs fine like it should - starts after cranking after about 1 second. However if it sits for about 5 - 7 days it has a terrible time starting. It seems to catch on 1 or 2 cylinders and barely chugs along for about 5 - 7 seconds until it finally catches and then smooths out. I also have to keep the starter engaged during this time or it will just chug and die. after that it then starts normally with little cranking for the rest of the day. The plugs are firing fine (I took them out grounded them with plug wires attached and cranked engine and all 4 fire as they should) and it is getting gas (plugs are wet when removed after a cranking episode). Also tested the cam sensor by removing it from its mounting hole and doing the screwdriver test (waving back and forth near its end) and it is behaving as it should by going from 5V to 0V on the signal pin. It seems to forget everything about timing if it sits too long and has to figure timing out all over again if it sits for the 5 - 7 day period. Any thoughts on what this could be?

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Oh - also the check engine light does not come on; that is there are no OBD codes generated.

·
Registered
3,767 Posts
A flickering light can be an indication of a misfire on one cylinder which is what you seem to have. I would have said a plug or coil but if it takes a few days to occur I am inclined to think coolant may be getting into the cylinder and wetting the plug. Your description is just how that fault will show up. I suggest you leave it for a few days, start it up and if it misses stop the engine and take out the plugs looking for a wet plug with possibly coolant bridging the plug gap.

·
Registered
6,885 Posts
It seems to catch on 1 or 2 cylinders and barely chugs along for about 5 - 7 seconds until it finally catches and then smooths out. I also have to keep the starter engaged during this time or it will just chug and die. after that it then starts normally with little cranking for the rest of the day.
Sounds like the fuel pressure lost it's prime. Don't let it run on the starter. Prime the fuel 3 times before attempting to start. Prime by turning key to run (not start) off for 5 seconds repeat.
The plugs are firing fine (I took them out grounded them with plug wires attached and cranked engine and all 4 fire as they should)
That don't mean they are firing under compression.
and it is getting gas (plugs are wet when removed after a cranking episode).
If it's flooding you should hold the pedal to the floor.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the suggestions. I'll try the priming sequence but as I recall when I turn the key to run I don't hear any noise from the fuel pump so it appears to not be getting power if the engine is not running. Also, Charlescrown may be on to something - the coolant overflow bucket is nearly empty and there are no signs of any leaks. I replaced the head gasket about 20000 miles ago and never retorqued the bolts other than the correct procedure on a cold engine. I pulled the valve cover and found they were all about 45 ft/lbs whereas ai originally torqued them to a little over 50. I retorqued them a bit and will see if this makes a difference as well. Thanks for all the suggestions.

·
Registered
6,885 Posts
'll try the priming sequence but as I recall when I turn the key to run I don't hear any noise from the fuel pump so it appears to not be getting power if the engine is not running
Your vehicle may be one that does not prime the pump unless it sees a crank signal I'm pretty sure @AUTOSPARK can tell you.

·
Registered
Drives : Nissan NV200 Flies : Rans S6ES
14,698 Posts
1 - 8 of 8 Posts