Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I inherited a 97 Elanta J2 1.6 from my grand dad when he passed away.
The car was clean so to say with some minor dents and scratches, it sat on 300000km+

I used it for a daily for sometime but the niggles started to show, using water, down on power, not much, had to replace clutch, water pump and all the goodies going with it.

Decided to park it off and start to plan a project around this 97 elantra

Now here in South Africa when you go to a tuner and ask him about building the car and increasing the hp well lets just say they look at you like you are a nut job as in SA our modding culture does not include Hyundai, Its VW BMW or Honda maybe a Nissan but all those Jap goodies like the GTR, Silvia's and 180sx are few and far between.
So The homework started to find parts In lovely sunny South Africa.
And nothing apart from the normal headers and service parts, so the shop was on to find parts on the net
:nerd:

Attachments

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
So first thing first motor and gearbox out, And started sanding.

So like I said parts in SA very very hard to find, only one front bumper available in SA no side skirts or rear bumper to make up a kit,
So I bought the bumper but omw the F&F look died and I sold it off again as quick as possible

It doesn't line up or even fit just horrible

Attachments

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So spending hours on the old Interwebs I found a kit with an exhaust manifold for almost the same price that some local tuner asked me for the manifold.

Yes I know some of you will say ebay kits are a waste of money but when you are in the South point of Africa you take what you can and from who is willing to ship it here.

But now the question?

Should I stick with the 1.6 motor of G4GF 2.0 motor??

Pistons, Rods, Crank, Head allsorts to think about.

Attachments

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Got the motor for a steal.

Stripping it down and sending it away, acid bath for the block and head, crank to be polished, head work to be done.
- new seals everywhere
- flow the head
Leaving cams stock.

Now to find rods and pistons, same old story, yes sir we can help but its going to cost a lot and we don't have stock. So for a set of pistons R20000 (rand) its more than what the car is worth. Rods R18000 so need to find alternatives.

So came across this on the old internet Project Elantra: The Foundations of Power ? Kuhol Garage.

All good and well but what if you can't FIND THE RODS AND PISTONS????

So plan be was put into motion. Dropping compression via steel gasket or dropping standard piston compression. Pondering!!!

I am not chancing big power or insane times just a sleeper that will be a surprise to all

Attachments

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So Waiting for the turbo kit to arrive and the engine parts to return the body work started,
Stripped out interior and all the little nitty stuff that will not be used , got hold of a standard front bumper and decided to cut out the horizontal pieces to make airflow more.

Sanded the car down and primed it .
Removed the rear wing
Still not sure on colour

Attachments

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Just some back ground info, I just started the build thread now, progress on the car is a lot further than what it is now, so I do apologize if dates of posts seems off

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
All engine parts came back and my little package from ebay, started mocking up.

Down pipe needs to change, wategate pipe needs to change big time.

Like they say bolt on never works

Playing with colours on the rocker covers using the 1.6 cover as wel

Attachments

1 - 9 of 9 Posts