Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys

i know cars fairly well i convert nissan cars engines all the time but know NOTHING about excells so just need a little help

my little sisters 95 12v excell (aus) has the auto gbox starting to pack up *jumps outa gear, doesnt engage sometimes, reverse takes ages ect.* the good news is a relative just got her excell rear ended so i have a 98 16v excell with all the donor parts! (have not looked at the 2 cars side by side yet so some q's very simple)

firstly i think just changing gbox will be simplest task IF it bolts to this engine so will it?

if it bolts to the engine will it bolt to the chassis?

if it will then im assuming i will need to change the pedal box over, the gear selector cables, clutch & flywheel, and loop the auto safety switch, but will i need to swap over ecu's ? anything i missed?

If it wont bolt up will the 16v go into the bay without mods? or is it just easier to change over the whole front end *xmember suspension loom ect*

any other bits that might catch me out? Just wanna get it done asap for her as she will need it back on the road asap

·
Registered
139 Posts
Never tried it myself, but I think the tranny should bolt up no problem. People swap transmissions and engines with tibbys all the time, so I'm pretty sure the mounting is consistent within different versions of the same car.

As for wiring: Since its a DOHC vs sohc, might be safer to swap ECUs, but frankly I have no clue. See if they have the same # of wires + connector, it might be a simple swap, no need to change the harness.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
got some answers guys, just spent 2 days giving it a go with mixed results havent completly finnished yet but close

first thing is first Dropping the whole engine out is the easiest option for gearbox removal/install (do it from the bottom too)

NO the manual 98 box will not bolt upto the 95 engine because the 98 gearbox is located on the xmember where the 95 is not

YES the 98 engine will bolt in but you will have to modify a few things

must use the 98 engine mounts for the driver and passenger sides as the engines are slightly different heights and the 98 sits a little more forward

i changed the whole engine wiring harness over just so i didnt have to plug all the injectors and sensors back in dont forget to take the ecu *the engine harness will plug straight back in to the main harness*

my 95 was not powersteering but it would bolt in (i was in a hurry so i didnt bother)

my 95 was also auto so i had to swap the peddal asembly over which involves removing the dash *a pretty big job* and then mesure and marking the place for the clutch master cyl (used the whole system from the 98)

im yet to fire it as i need to replace the afm as dad stole the original one for a friend but i will let you know how it all goes with some pics at a later date

1 - 5 of 5 Posts