Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I was down to 3-4 gallons of 93 octane 10% ethanol. I added seven gl of 87 ethanol free and drove 3 miles to the house, Reset the mileage from a 22.5 mpg since the last fill-up. I believe the previous tank or two before that was 12 gl and the first bottle of Techron at 20K.

After about 60 miles w/my foot in it I was passing two cars coming out of a curve. About the time I start pulling away from the second car Ka-Boom! I don't know what happened. It's as if the car decided to drop a gear on me, maybe it did, as I'm pulling away even faster than usual.

Normal driving the last five or six miles. An eighty-one mile round trip passing folks right and left and I pulled into the driveway w/MPG average of 30.1. Granted 10% ethanol costs about 5% power, but it allows for more ignition advance all at the price of fuel mileage.

I know MPG figures drop as miles are added, yet I'm really impressed going from 22.5 to 30.1. Perhaps the second bottle of Techron cleared out the nozzles a wee bit more and driving longer distances at speed definitely is a boost over city/stop & go.

It still won't pull a hill, standing stop or run n gun, like the VTX 1800, but it isn't too far behind. I'm going to continue running a mix of 93 corn and 87 free.

·
Banned
1,090 Posts
Going by the car computer? Too bad science doesn't give to a 7 mpg increase by using 87 octane to your tank. Stop and go killed mileage and many get 30's on the highway running any gas.

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
True enough, yet this highway is a twisty two-lane w/few areas to pass including double line zones that are indeed long enough for a peppy turbo. Also includes going through Owensville, Fountain Lake and Hot Springs Village. Even though I had my moments I couldn't pull every line of retirees clogging the road.

Too bad you can't get a clue about corn free petrol.

·
Banned
1,090 Posts
Too bad you don't know automotive basics. There is a true BTU difference in the ethanol versus non-ethanol fuel but the difference would bring nowhere even close to your numbers. Highway driving was behind it, not 87 octane. Your experience was coincidental, not scientific. Using that same 87 will crash you into the 20's in that city stop and go and premium with ethanol will get you low 30's on the highway. Just because you had some "magic mix" of fuel does not automatically mean that it is the reason for a vast fuel economy change.

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Listen up junior I've probably forgotten more automotive knowledge than you'll ever possess, yet I'll humour your lameness for a bit. I never claimed originally that the auto mpg was anywhere close to accurate. Much as my bathroom scales though they are handy for ballparking figures. If I lose/gain weight the scales will also respond accordingly.

Likewise w/mpg gauge better/worse will show. Unlike some I do not obsess over a few mpg one way or the other. However, I did acknowledge that the mpg gauge historically shows better numbers early and I reset at 10-11 gl.

There's roughly a 5% difference in energy betwixt cornless vs ethanol at 10%. A regular 87 octane contains more energy than 93 octane as the higher octane flashpoint is retarded to allow higher compression/pressure w/o predetonation. More power at the expense of putting a greater load on the motor.

Yes, the MPG will adjust to driving style/terrain/route/speed/weather/ethanol etc. Cap't Obvious. I say this as you appear to have a comprehension issue rendering you unable to read between the lines. My car on 93 octane 10% ethanol usually rates 25.5 mpg on the gauge. I'm not going to crunch the actual numbers because I don't care. I'm going to continue to buy non-ethanol at 87, corn fed at 93 or the combo platter.

The car runs like a scalded ape on either though the 10% ethanol shows a fairly large hit on mpg and it doesn't matter if you calculate the actual mileage or use the gauge because the two variables don't care either.

The point I didn't make in my original statement was that the last tank that came in at 22.5 was generally 25.5. as I've been running 93 ethanol for several months w/little freeway driving.

When I first used a can of Techron at 20K I noticed no improvement. The car was running fine I only applied as a preventative maintenance measure. There really was no reason to dump another can in 500-1000 miles down the road, but I bought a six pack, so what the eh?

Out of the 81 mile round trip of pulling hills and blind curves it wasn't until 60 miles that I noticed a distinct improvement in acceleration. This more than likely was the combination of the greater power of non-ethanol introduced to high octane corn fed which would still average 90, evah so roughly, the cleaning agent of Techron along w/my right foot flogging the pedal repeatedly.

Blowing the old gal out w/aggressive driving and intimate knowledge of the route from decades of driving allows me to set-up passing at the longer double striped no-passing zones. If I was straddling the 1800 I wouldn't need to set-up unless I was pulling three or more cars and that tends to be mite dangerous. You neva know when some schmuck up front is going to become overwhelmed w/instant courage and pull out w/o checking his/her mirror.

Anywho, It was merely a fun story w/Ka-BOOM in the title. It wasn't meant to serve as a dissertation on auto-sensory seat of the pants perceived advantages of mixing various octane rated ethanol and non-ethanol petrol on a turbo w/variable advanced ignition timing.

How 'bout you run along over to the sparkplug gap thread and share your infinite wisdom w/masses that don't grasp the concept of the gap being set a mite low because they don't grow shorter w/extended mileage?

·
Banned
1,090 Posts
If you actually had the automotive knowledge you claimed, you wouldn't have wrote two novels on this site about you gasoline discoveries. These surprises you're finding out do not show someone who is knowledgable in the automotive field, but someone who pretends to be. Starting threads about your adventures post gas pump have in know way shown any evidence of anything concerning what you are posting about.

Look at the threads started by you: a history of a grand story told and nothing more. Desperate need to validate something on the Internet. Stories wrapped in info from google and Wikipedia.

Making fun of guys in a spark plug thread? Just shows you have no respect for those trying to obtain knowledge on a subject; instead of a person so self involved to tell us about his day. We'll see how that goes.

·
Banned
1,090 Posts
give it a rest destro. even i don't harass people like that.
He started in on me, as you can see on the last sentence of post three. Nor was I the one to call names nor commented on my "lameness"

Look at the thread starts and post history and you can see for yourself. I've already reported it. Mods will do as they may.

·
Registered
2008 Accent 3 dr 5 sp manual; 2010 Genesis Coupe 2LT track 6 sp manual
8,803 Posts
I thought you blew the motor on the 87 when I started to read the thread.

93 corn will give you more timing than even 93 straight. Putting 87 in it is OK for cruising down the highway I guess.

·
Registered
61 Posts
You should fix the name of this thread I thought you some how damaged your engine.

I live in the big city I get 16-18 mpg driving here.

If I go on the hwy and stay there long enough I can get the car low 30to high 20 depending on speed and road conditions.
No special fuel combination.
Your car has a wide band o2 sensor and with other sensors knows the best combo for highest mpg as Hyundai made this car for mpg turbo or not.

It's all in there advertisement 4cly mpg wih class leading v6 power..

Another thing that plays big is driving style.
When my wife takes my car to work I can tell if she was driving fast or slow
By the mpg guage .

·
22,793 Posts
Haha!

Built-in driver monitoring :)
Too bad you can't tell how many retail stores she visited or how many pairs of shoes she tried on. Neither one can have a positive effect on the benefits of using E10 vs. E0.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts