Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got a 92 hyundai Sonata 4 cyclinder mitsubishi DOHC , with the gas to the floor the car starts and can stay on for a bit and then idles low and lower and shuts off. when starting the car with out the pedal to the floor, it starts up and then idles low and shuts off. i can smell gas after both attempts. ive changed the fuel filter, the accelerator, checked the gas cap, change the spark plugs and after i did that i checked them after a few starts with the same problems still. the plugs were full of carbon and black, got dirty quick. is there any suggestions? i need help !

·
Registered
4,851 Posts
There is a myriad of possible problems, it's an ancient car. And it's ODB I which means you can't scan it with an ODB II scanner, so you need to get a repair manual for this specific car to troubleshoot the codes.

My guess is you have a fuel problem. Any idea how old the fuel filter is? I'd probably try replacing the fuel filter, then I'd do a fuel pressure check.

You should join hmaservice.com as they have great repair manuals online for free. It's the official Hyundai site. Here's the fuel repair manual, it's pretty good:

Attachments

1 - 2 of 2 Posts