Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1990 Excel GL fuel injected, automatic, four-door.. etc..

I bought this new in 1990, and about four years ago a problem began cropping up that mechanics either THINK they have solved or just give up:

-It dies at random times. I can be driving full speed or it can be idling at a stop light and it might die.

-Re-starting it is a shot in the dark; sometimes it will restart in a few moments, and sometimes I have to have it towed home or to a shop.

-Turning the ignition key at the times it has died it sounds like the starter motor is spinning fine and there is no gas at all; not a single chug.

-Mechanics have "fixed" it by replacing the various modules in there, including the computer and a new fuel pump. It runs for a while and then
at about the time I'm confident it's ok, it dies; maybe in three minutes from the time it was worked on, maybe in three days of normal
running, maybe in three weeks and maybe in a year of running fine. I am not exagerating; it is totally unpredictable.

-I have tried disconnecting then reconnecting various relays I can see around the engine and one under the cowl to the left a bit near the fuse bank.
I thought that was working, but now it has no effect (I just had it towed home again after fooling with it in a market lot for three hours).

Any thoughts about this? Any help.. please? I love my old car.. bought it new.. I would like to save it, although my wife says, "GET RID OF IT!"
every time this happens.

- Spider

·
Registered
3 Posts
QUOTE (Spider @ May 9 2010, 03:03 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=321240

I bought this new in 1990, and about four years ago a problem began cropping up that mechanics either THINK they have solved or just give up:

-It dies at random times. I can be driving full speed or it can be idling at a stop light and it might die.

-Re-starting it is a shot in the dark; sometimes it will restart in a few moments, and sometimes I have to have it towed home or to a shop.

-Turning the ignition key at the times it has died it sounds like the starter motor is spinning fine and there is no gas at all; not a single chug.

-Mechanics have "fixed" it by replacing the various modules in there, including the computer and a new fuel pump. It runs for a while and then
at about the time I'm confident it's ok, it dies; maybe in three minutes from the time it was worked on, maybe in three days of normal
running, maybe in three weeks and maybe in a year of running fine. I am not exagerating; it is totally unpredictable.

-I have tried disconnecting then reconnecting various relays I can see around the engine and one under the cowl to the left a bit near the fuse bank.
I thought that was working, but now it has no effect (I just had it towed home again after fooling with it in a market lot for three hours).

Any thoughts about this? Any help.. please? I love my old car.. bought it new.. I would like to save it, although my wife says, "GET RID OF IT!"
every time this happens.

- Spider

Know the feeling we are going through the same thing. Yet at the mechanics, it behaves and runs smoothly. We have done a full throttle body service, disactivated the immobiliser, put a new computer and now tomoorow she is booked in to replace the crank angle sensor ( after reading a post on here) hopefully it fixs the problem. Its so random the stalling, but it always seems to happen when I least need it to happen. Usually at lights on a busy highway with heaps of traffic behind me : (

·
Registered
4 Posts
Tell me, this the change of crank angle sensor work? My 1996 excell aautomatic has done this on and off, with so called 'repairs' in between over the past 8 years. Most recently i had a massive scare on the motorway and now think I should ditch the car. BUT if the crank angle sensor change worked, there may be hope. I read this elsewhere too on the forum.
So, did it help? Are you still driving the car now?

·
Registered
133 Posts
I had an old Nissan that did that, I eventually traced the fault to a loose timing belt, the bloody thing used to jump a cog at random and throw the timing into a complete melt down, fixed and new timing belt tensioner as well.

·
Registered
157 Posts

every time this happens.

- Spider
Can you recall any specific repairs that may have been done prior to these symptoms beginning. Motor had an interesting article, let me see if I can find it, may or may not be helpful. Good read nonetheless.
MOTOR Magazine Article | MOTOR Information Systems

1 - 5 of 5 Posts