Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 89 excel starts and runs great on normal days but when the temperature drops below -15c it just will not start . I try pumping gas before, during, after but it doesn't seem to be getting the gas very well. It does not flood (no smell) but as soon as it warms up it starts right away. It has a block heater but that doesn't seem to make any difference so I don't know if it works. The battery is old so it runs down quick> any suggestions would be appreciated THANKS GARY

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
Originally posted by skyclone@Dec 23 2004, 04:59 PM
My 89 excel starts and runs great on normal days but when the temperature drops below -15c it just will not start . I try pumping gas before, during, after but it doesn't seem to be getting the gas very well. It does not flood (no smell) but as soon as it warms up it starts right away. It has a block heater but that doesn't seem to make any difference so I don't know if it works. The battery is old so it runs down quick> any suggestions would be appreciated  THANKS GARY
[snapback]4005[/snapback]​

what kind of spark plugs are installed ???

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Duke for reply. I installed Nkg.The kind with the power tip? The thin tip. I also used Bosch wires and rotor and new cap. This morning it started up right away and it was -17.It was not plugged in. The last time it would not start it was -27 and maybe I just was too aggressive pumping the pedal? She runs great only 113000km. Do you recommend a different plug? Regards Gary

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
Originally posted by skyclone@Dec 24 2004, 11:45 AM
Thanks Duke for reply. I installed Nkg.The kind with the power tip? The thin tip. I also used Bosch wires and rotor and new cap. This morning it started up right away and it was -17.It was not plugged in. The last time it would not start it was -27 and maybe I just was too aggressive pumping the pedal? She runs great only 113000km. Do you recommend a different plug?  Regards  Gary
[snapback]4035[/snapback]​

NO, NGK are just fine. Pumping the pedal is a bad idea, the extra fuel will hang up in the cat-converter and burn it when it is hot.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Duke, I have been pumping less fuel the past few days and it starts ok and its been around -15to-18c so hopefully she'll be ok in the real cold days below-20c or below zero F

·
Registered
11 Posts
do you have the model of NGK sparks for the excel

i want to install in my car!!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts