Hyundai Forums banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Victory might be ours my friend. I just got back to ther car and replaced the crankshaft position sensor...

... fires right up first try, just like it always had. There's a 23% chance this is luck as this problem has been intermittent. Im going to let it run it run and charge and let it think about what it's done to me, and I'll try it again later today.

Fingers crossed. I'll follow up when I'm convinced, or any further problems. Thank you again for your expertise.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
I'm happy to try and help.
Working with folk on the forum is actually pretty good fun. I get to just sit back with my tea and choccy bickies and tell you guys what to do without getting my own hands dirty :D
I think this problem is indeed solved. Left it for 5 days and then returned to Chicago. Started and ran without any trouble today. 2 different start attempts, no problems. $28 sensor and ample head scratching.

Thanks again for looking out for the common tinkerer in a pinch-- like me! Cheers

-Matt

·
Registered
12,159 Posts
Hi Matt, great to hear the sensor cured the problem.
I'm just curious though, does the fuel pump now run when you switch the ignition on to prime the rail, or is that still not happening?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
or is that still not happening?
I believe that is still not happening. Not sure why. I'll pay more attention when I'm starting next few times out to determine for sure. Very weird that its deciding that just isn't necessary anymore.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
I'm just curious though, does the fuel pump now run when you switch the ignition on to prime the rail
It is now priming again! Very interesting. Funny enough, I happen to be helping a friend with his jeep wrangler that also cranks buy won't start. He had his crank sensor replaced though so the issue is deeper. In my research I did find this which may explain the no prime situation. ASD being auto shut down relay for future readers.

·
Registered
12,159 Posts
The crank sensor signal isn't needed to make the PCM prime the system. There is no output from the sensor until the engine is actually turning over. The prime is in response to the power being supplied to the PCM when the MAIN relay switches on.

·
Registered
13,275 Posts
Interesting thread, very similar to an issue I am having. When started cold, a quick turn of the key and the car jumps to life. Drive it for a while, and if it DOESN'T catch on the first turn I have to try starting for longer intervals up to three times.

I'm going to bookmark this thread and review it tomorrow. Gave me some useful info, though. I was going to question the pump circuit and the CPS myself.

·
Registered
12,159 Posts
When started cold, a quick turn of the key and the car jumps to life. Drive it for a while, and if it DOESN'T catch on the first turn I have to try starting for longer intervals up to three times.
That sounds kinda like paper shop syndrome that I've mentioned on the forum in the past. When I was a tech with Hyundai (15+ years ago) they issued a technical bulletin titled "paper shop syndrome" which dealt with symptoms similar to what your experiencing. The car would start fine from cold, you drive to the local shop to buy the news paper and the engine wont restart when you come out. The advise in the bulletin was to replace the crank sensor.

Where have you been hiding, Old Boy? Have you been drinking too much Scotch to be able to type :p

·
Registered
13,275 Posts
That sounds kinda like paper shop syndrome that I've mentioned on the forum in the past. When I was a tech with Hyundai (15+ years ago) they issued a technical bulletin titled "paper shop syndrome" which dealt with symptoms similar to what your experiencing. The car would start fine from cold, you drive to the local shop to buy the news paper and the engine wont restart when you come out. The advise in the bulletin was to replace the crank sensor.

Where have you been hiding, Old Boy? Have you been drinking too much Scotch to be able to type :p

Been doing a lot of other things, as well as going to The Dark Side (Twitter).

I haven't done anything to the car, and it's been running OK.

BTW, I checked in because I noticed something the other day: every time it exhibits that behaviour, it's been when I've had the A/C running. The last few days have been cooler, no A/C, no problem. If it persists, I'll replace the CPS.

The other thing I was thinking is the battery is about 5 years old now, and may be getting weak. Those trips to the paper shop don't really let it get a good charge.

BTW, switched to Rye, or, as I call it, "American Scotch". Unless you get something like WhistlePig (look it up...YUM!) it's a lot easier on the wallet!

Good to see you again, my friend. :)

21 - 30 of 30 Posts