Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

It's been awhile since I posted, and thought I'd catch up a little - albeit I never miss the email flyers and latest threads !!

So yup, I bought my auto Premium SE last year on the 1st September on a 67 plate - hard to believe it's already no longer the newest plate - where the **** did that time go !!

For the most part it's awesome thumbs up for so many reasons. All round electric windows, one touch driver's window, the Tom Tom based sat-nav is 'fairly' good..though few hiccups as mentioned here.

The sun roof really is luxury, as are the heated front seats and perhaps not essential heated steering wheel. It also drives like a dream, and somehow inside it feels like a car somewhat bigger than it's city class status dictates.

Then of course there's the inevitable niggles, coupled with hopes for future iterations of the model.

I too have that sticking brake syndrome on the rear pads..mostly when not driven for a day or more. Don't get me wrong, it's just when you set off, and then it's completely gone - besides when I do get my first service, I hope to follow advice here and get that sorted. Must remember to ask for the latest Sat-Nav update too. I don't know if they include servicing the aircon and filters etc on scheduled services - must ask about that.

BIGGEST Gripe are the headlights. We live in an age where so many motors - especially expensive SUV's have headlights akin to stadium lights - even on dipped - and almost blind the ferk out of you - especially on dark stretches of motorway as they catch up to you.

It's the opposite with the i10..though in fairness I had been warned about this. Headlights ?? More like cheap tea lights !! They must be at the very minimum legal threshold permissible here in the UK. They are truely crap, whether on dipped or full beam. I know the i20 is supposed to have somewhat more powerful headlights, but little beyond that. They truely need to rethink these lights, because especially in rain and on dark nights, they become all but useless. I've taken to risking a ticket, and using my front fog lights as well - even though not foggy, just to see things a bit more clearly in bad weather.

And just extending that last point - other small cars - especially Minis - often on the open road at night use their front foggies too - without them being glaring in the rear view mirror. I suspect they and some other models suffer a bit from poor main light illumination.

Then my broken record complaint. Again - the i10/i20 are the only makes of car I actually know, where cruise control is only available on the manual - NOT the 4 speed auto - even as an optional extra. Completely puzzled by that..and in 2 and a half years when I trade in for either one of these cars..I'm really hoping they have addressed this issue.

I know mrtrout besmirched the 'Noddy look' of our newer DRLs..Buy honestly I love them haha !! Sharp LED lights which imho look great !! I just wish all the lights were as impressive.

Fuel economy is not something I can complain about - because I knew it would be dire going in..and it is. If you truely need or prefer an auto, then you accept this fact..so it's not a gripe - just an acknowledgement.

I would love to see Hyundai beef up the options as well. Automatic emergency braking, folding door mirrors, reach adjustment on the steering wheel - not just tilt, heated windscreen, cruise & adaptive cruise control for the auto and a rear parking camera/plus front parking sensors (which they have as an option on the i20)

At the end of the day, if they are there as options, then it keeps the brand competitive..and ultimately if they are customisable additions, buyers can pick and choose accordingly. Yes it drives up price..BUT..if you don't want/need/can afford extra options..then you leave them.

Overall, I have found the i10 a great little car as I say. On fast roads, mid range acceleration can lag somewhat, but not in any serious way that compromises safety or handling. The steering does lean towards being vague, as reported on so many review sites - but again not in any way so far as to cause alarm. It could be better though.

The lane departure warning system is pretty much spot on..so much so, that when safe, I will occasionally change lane..say on the M1..without indicating..and the little swine does a sterling job of telling me off. Probably thinks an ex copper should know better haha !!

The one weird conundrum I have pertains to the Forward Collision Warning System..which only activates above 9 mph. Yes it's a feature on my car true - *BUT*...Whilst it's permanently activated, I have no way of real world testing safely this function, to see how it actually works, what the alert signal sounds like etc. I know that sounds bizarre - but in the real world, if ever an alarm went off which I have never heard..?? There's MORE chance of colliding with a vehicle/object in front than less - without knowing what this unknown sound is. It makes sense to me..lol !!

Anyways overall, for the price and what you get ? This was truely a no brainer in the city class of car..for so many reasons, as alluded to above. It's a great car, which just needs to revamp soonish, to keep it ahead of the rivals and appealing to new buyers.

Hyundai : Those headlights are borderline DANGEROUS...That above all needs addressing before anything else. Also if you could kidnap permanently my insane elderly neighbour, who feeds all the pigeons of Nottingham it seems..whereby I spend an age every day wiping endless bird sh*t off my car..haha..that would earn you my love for life ;-)

Have a lovely remainder of this bright sunny Sunday. Me..? Back to front, so 'orf' to bed shortly..:-s

·
Registered
413 Posts
A nice write up Pete, I’m 2 1/2 years into ownership of our/ my wife’s I10 Premium, and apart from an intermittent dashboard rattle it’s been great. I thought, as per this link that the later model i10s had halogen bulbs in the DRLs not LED as you state.
http://www.hyundai-forums.com/i10-2nd-generation-2014/631058-drl-lights.html
Certainly on the ones I’ve seen they aren’t very bright at all, and I just find the positioning of them to be not as attractive as the original i10s LED ones, hence the “Noddy car” comment. :grin2:
As for the headlights, I find ours to be excellent, as good as if not better than most cars I’ve owned including Mercedes, Volvos and Vauxhall’s.
I particularly like the side lit bulb which comes on automatically when turning left or right illuminating the kerb.
I live in a small village in Cumbria with NO streetlights at all, it’s all dark country lanes round here, only time I see a streetlight is in town or on motorway sections, and I find the headlights ample.
Being a manual gearbox we register over 51 mpg most of the time on relatively short journeys, and on a motorway run it can go up to 53mpg and I’m no slouch usually cruising with the control set to 75mph to allow for a true 70mph.
It’s the best 1.0 litre engine I’ve ever had, I have to remind myself at times that it’s not a much bigger power unit.
I’ve had a few I10s and an I20 with the 1.2 engine and I prefer this unit.
Jumping out of the old I10 and straight into the new one when I test drove it I was amazed just how much more grown up and bigger it felt in comparison.
So all in all and with the exception of my rattle, which comes and goes we are extremely pleased with ours, it’s full of great features both safety and comfort wise and as it’s only £20 a year road tax I’m reluctant to trade it in for a later model which I don’t find as good looking as our current one.
I did have a brief flirtation with a Tucson, and my wife suggested I buy one, but as I get older I do less mileage these days and I fear most of its time would be spent sitting in the drive looking pretty.
A friend bought a I40 touring last year, it had 112000 on the clock, it’s now over 124000 and it drives like a dream, he hasn’t spent one penny on it.
S.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Nice write up :smile:I've just passed 12 months ownership with my manual 1.2. Premium SE and just had its first service last month.

Echo whats been said, generally I've foumd the car a joy to own and drive. I bought it mainly as a winter daily to replace my BMW M140i which is a little lethal in the snow and bad weather and I've been seriously impressed with the i10 so much so it does most of the daily town work now.

Re the sticky rear brakes I had this quite bad but it looks to have been solved at its first service as I don't have the issue any more. I do wonder if Hyundai are aware of the problem and address it come service time. Agree the headlights aren't the best but really what I paid for it through Car Wow I can't complain. My only gripe with he car is the engine, it really needs the 3cyl turbo from the i20 to make it more competitive but apart from that really impressed with the car, fit and finish and how it drives with no problems up to now, a very good little car. Will see at 3 years whether I replace it with another so hoping an engine revision comes along by that time.

Tim.

·
Registered
371 Posts
I have the premium auto on a 15 plate and really it has everything I need. The headlamps have been okay on the rare occasions I've been out of town in the dark. Never had or ever thought I needed cruise control surely pressing one little pedal can't be that much of an ordeal. Never owned or used a satnav I just take a look in the mapbook chuck it over the back seat and go using the good old road signs and my memory. Sunroof I've had a few that rattle and one that leaked so air conditioning keeps things quiet and comfortable for me. A little bit of opening glass can't compare to the old Austin Healey Sprite we once had on a day like today with the sun blazing. DRLs never had them till I got this car and to be honest I don't give a hoot about them because A they're always on and B can't see the bally things myself anyway. Forward collision warning and lane departure warning If I needed that at the age of seventy and driving fifty one years I think I'd surrender my licence.
My view on my i10 if I'd had this car in 1967 instead of the three speed, sidevalve pile of poo I started off with I'd have been in clover. This car is seriously a lovely little piece of kit that gleams on the drive and drives perfectly. Just been serviced and MOTd last week and still clean after being given a really good valet as well to save me the effort. This car is even nicer than the 09 auto 1.4 Corsa I traded in to get this little gem. It rained last night and when I came out today the rear discs were already showing rust stains. It gets used at least every other day though so it doesn't get a problem with the rear brakes. Health check showed rear pad as 30% worn at 16k miles and they work perfectly and hold well on the steep drive I have.
I've been called a grumpy old whatsit on here before, but what do people need these days to keep them happy? Carmakers sticking endless bits of bumph in the motors that are either not needed or downright dangerous like a touchscreen to take your attention away from the road. The only extra I needed when I picked up my i10 was to stick my camera in the windscreen so if some idiot falls asleep with his cruise control and thinks his lane departure warning is his alarm clock I will have it for evidence.

Reactions: Pete Notts

·
Registered
413 Posts
That’s the whole point about DRLs bazzer, it’s for other people to see you, not you looking good. :grin2:
I like my cruise control personally, on motorway journeys I find it very helpful as I suffer with arthritis in my feet.
S.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Hmm yes, but now we've got people in the halogen versus LED business about which is best. The manufacturer knows that people keep wanting change. I personally think the latest facelift isn't nice the car was fine now the black panel has ruined rear end and the front I think is not improved.
I drive automatic because my left ankle isn't that great after an off in my 59 club days. Also it makes driving more relaxed in this day of mad driving. I've seen so many improvements in cars and roads over half a century, but sadly drivers' attitude and roadcraft has gone downhill.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Just risen from my 'grave'..temporarily anyways. Still dog tired !!

Thanks for the replies here, I wasn't really expecting to see any today..particularly on a warm (finally) Sunday afternoon !!

Going back up the page..

Hi Oldbazza70 :)

It's OK to be a grumpy old soul as you say you have been called, though it should be noted that grumpy old geezers are notorious for being extremely angry about anything BAR the subject at hand ;-) Trust an ex cop. The amount of Daily Fail readers I had to stand and smile sweetly to, as they huffed and puffed and made no point whatsoever - was voluminous in my career. Always easier to nod furiously, agree with every word, and leave them feeling like they had made their point(s)

You definitely made your points admirably :)

Just a couple of points..sorry..struck me..to follow up on.

It's an age since I wrote my original post, and my memory is not what it used to be..forgive me :-(

Would you agree that I said that the i10 was the best city car in it's class ? I 'think' that is what I implied, but your astute take on my words would be welcomed, so I better understand exactly what it was I said and meant.

The improvements for the future I outlined. Well my back is shot to smithereens (hark at the oldie here !!) and so some degree of this fact played into at least one of my observations regarding improvements and development.

In my case, I opted for an auto, precisely because I suffer..well permanently..with back pain. An automatic is a huge asset regarding this as I know a calm man of your worldly wisdom would surely agree. With that in mind, and my suggestions.

Do you think that a steering wheel which has reach adjustment, would be a very handy addition ?

Do you think that cruise control - whether for comfort, or to assist those with limited mobility - might be a welcome addition ?

Do you think that added methods of security..such as automatic brake assist - particularly when you the driver are so perfect, but unable to plan for lesser beings driving erratically etc..could be an asset..even if just once, where it made the difference between avoidance of a crash, or simply not being as quick as the system to ensure this ?

Oh I know, you wrote quite the piece without saying much of anything, lending credence to the reputation you have. Trust me..not just profesionally, but personally..I had the pleasure of a now deceased relative who similarly would huff and puff about every subject under the sun, whilst spectacularly failing to address the issues at hand. Unlike those who might tell you off for your..'quirky' prediliction - I actually find it quite sweet and charming, and mentally have to resist the urge to go up to people, wrap my arms around them and tell them everything is alright, before tip-toeing slowly back out of the room as their snorts of indignation gradually subside.

Brilliant post may I add. Probably the most useful I have ever read, and please accept my abject cap in hand pleading subjugated caterwauling for your grudging acceptance of my subservient acknowledgement to your brilliance.

Hi Tim :)

Really good to hear that that first service seems to have addressed the brakes. The fact that it's covered under warranty is a BIG plus, so like you will be 'gently' reminding them at the time that it needs to be addressed. Similarly, I also used Carwow when going for an outright purchase, and found it an utter doddle from start to finish. I never once attended the dealership, or had a test drive - the whole thing was done online - including free delivery on a flatbed to my home here. Many would question the wisdom - in fact I myself did lol - but I had done so much homework, that there were so many positive points repeated time and again, sufficient to convince me that all in all, this was the best city class car for me - which I stand by. No wonder it was the What Car winner in this category for 2017 - though usurped by the Picanto for 2018

https://www.whatcar.com/kia/picanto/hatchback/review/

Hi mrtrout :)

I hope you know there was a huge smile on my face when I read - then repeated - your Noddy car observation re the DRL's - I'm flipping grinning now again at the analogy :) Obviously we all have our preferences re anything..especially inconsequential things like cosmetic appeal from one person to the next.

I must admit, that having driven an array of cars (mostly those of arrested drunk drivers !!) I was somewhat surprised to read that you rate the headlights so well. It truely is the polar opposite impression for me..and that's having driven things like Mondeos, Sierras..oh..just every make of car from yester-year - which all had lights that seemed to outmatch those on the i10. Even in modern cars of various makes as a passenger, I've noticed it's pretty pronounced, and stand by my comparison of them to modern day tea lights, barely fit for purpose.

I agree the static bending light function which throws an extra beam left/rigt as you turn is not only 'nifty' but a great idea, and didn't think at the time of purchase it would be anything more than a gimmick. I was wrong on that - they definitely improve your ability to see/judge as you turn, and very happy with this unusual though welcome feature.

Regards the DRLs - halogen or LED - it depends what spec you purchase. Halogen for the main range, and LED for both Premium and Premium SE. I just wish I had your fuel economy though. I don't cane the car, but struggle to hit 28/29 mpg overall. I'm not the first auto user to mention this here I know - but for my personal circumstances, I would always now choose an auto, and the added fuel is a hit I accept. Road tax on the newer motors is obviously a lot more regardless on newly registered vehicles. With the auto emmitting an eye watering 139 CO2 - that equates to £200 road tax in the first year, and £140 thereafter..at present prices - *gulp*

Regarding the intermittent dashboard rattle - I hope you will not take umbrage when I say, this is a 'feature' I have thankfully not experienced...thus far. Either I'm lucky or just hard of hearing ;-)

I always look forward to progress and improvements..and maybe I'll charm Oldbazza70 into being a little more positive, a lot less grumpy...and generally cheerful and receptive to how different folk interpret their experiences. I am blowing him ..that's *YOU* Baz a big Man Kiss to temporarily 'de-grump' you :))

Orf again to grab some food !!

·
Registered
371 Posts
Blimey your kip gave you a second wind I shall have to read it again a few times to see between the lines better. Whether the i10 is the best city car is a matter of opinion. My opinion is it's certainly the best automatic in the city class has the best space inside and the boot is good. The motoring press have started to favour the Volkswagen UP and it's variants. I don't like the look of the UP and made my i10 choice on the looks of the car ( er indoors drives it a bit too) and the fact it has a conventional four speed torque converter gearbox. You wouldn't like the automatic UP it's renowned to be jerky as it's an automated single clutch manual. After having a Smart Forfour I remember the nodding dog feeling as it lurched through the gears.
On the tripmeter I seem to be showing 37mpg at the moment, but like you fuel isn't an issue I fill up at Asda once a month and at the moment I seem to be spending on average about £32 a time. Maybe your fuel consumption reflects stop go traffic more I tend to go out after the school run.
Steering wheel reach would be an advantage for some I think. Myself I've managed to find the best position I can with the seat height etc. Cruise control must have been omitted on the automatic for a reason. I reckon it's something to do with having a simple four speed box so setting at over 70 say on a motorway the economy would go through the floor if a gradient or a headwind kept knocking the gear back to third. The engine is already revving fairly high at 70 due to the ratio and although a fifth gear would be handy it would complicate the box. I turned down the newer automatic Corsa because it's got a six speed box and around town it would always be hunting for a gear. The i10 goes through the gear quickly and is in fourth gear in no time. I've had a play with manual mode, but it's mostly a waste of time and would only be useful for windy country lanes for keeping in third or for selecting lower gear on a downgrade.
As for brake assist I thought we had it. The brakes are certainly fierce and today I got told off by the wife for braking at a set of traffic lights through a 40 mph limit. I chose to stop when they changed rather than going through on amber like some and the brakes are really spot on and so are the Continental tyres. She didn't appreciate it though.
I gather you think I huff and puff, but I feel that motoring needs some driver involvement to stop people nodding off at the wheel. I'm ashamed to admit that as a young driver I found myself going up a grass bank instead of the A1 it is so easy for the brain to switch off and once I had to pull aside a lorry on the M1 banging the horn as he was literally asleep at the wheel wandering all over the place. So surely the i10 auto is easy enough with light steering and good brakes. It's about as near to a mobility scooter as you can get. Too many driver aids and people will get to rely on them and now we have things like self parking cars and cars that stop themselves. We still have to be competent and seeing a neighbour so bad in his car his daughter had to get his licence taken off him I hope that I will know the time to stop.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Hi Baz !!

Good to hear back from you, and PLEASE don't try and read between the lines - I'm a good natured old oaf, who had not one - but two hugely important people who like you were exceptionally grumpy. One was my stepdad - the last member of my family to pass last year. The other was a best friend, who was taken just this year.

My God I used to give them gip..and received it back in glorious spades..so don't worry, I'm happy - almost wishing - for an occasional proverbial rocket up the..Holy Grail :))

OK..So now I've made you feel suitably awkward ;-)

I agree that the reviews regarding the i10 - whilst subjective as ever - were well grounded. Like you mentioned, the traditional 4 speed auto, whilst a dinosaur in terms of technology, is without doubt the best in city car class. Read some horror stories for exmple of the Citigo auto..which was/is like a random epileptic fit as it switches up/down. Ford decided to keep it's policy of omitting an auto from the Ka/Ka+ as you know. Before buying my motor last year, I did in fact have the wee shopping trolley - the old Ka on a 2008 plate, and honestly it was just an ugly as **** bunch of fun to drive !!

I know I bleated a bit about the lack of adjustable reach steering wheel, but I do genuinely think that that should be a no brainer addition to ALL cars these days..and really can make a difference in terms of finding optimal comfort for the driver.

Onto your extrapolation re no cruise control on the i10/20. That's actually an intriguing thought..ie with the limitations of just 4 gears - yup that actually makes sense. **** pity though. A 'long' drive for me is just under an hour. I drove to Leicester over the weekend, and it was one of those solely round trips - about 50 minutes each way. With Dystonia and wibbly muscles throughout the body..well you don't notice it when driving. Oh boy..soon as I stepped out of the car ? I forgot I have a crutch for a reason, which I had inconveniently forgot to pack..albeit Jake my equally incompetent compadre, had no such issues, bouncing out the back like a Scud on speed..not jealous..much.

Whilst true, cruise control in my case would have been much more than a mere luxury, which is why I do hope the firm finds a way to have it as an option. And yup I know the jeopardy..ie..might mean a new gearbox, which is not as deft as the present one.

The brakes and their severity. Like me I'm guessing at higher speeds you don't notice it so much, even if having to punch it a bit quick. Low speed though is certainly in the ballpark of "I want to hurt you somehow" a demonic affair. They did ease fractionally, but that grabby quality seems to cling on as a fun feature to check G force exists on occasion...lol..I embellish slightly ;-)

And finally..I hope you do huff, puff, grunt and groan plenty. Sounds so wrong that..!! Like I mentioned grumpy people are invariably the easiest for me to get along with...just have to see the good person hiding behind the bluster - cue my late Stepdad. Like him, you are soft as sh*t and like to grinch, gurn, moan, bemoan, swear, promise murderous consequences etc haha.

Take Care & have a Great Week..you Bloody Grinch...Runs away slowly ;-)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts