Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have recently purchased a 2018 Sonata SEL in mid-December last year. I took my car in earlier this year for its first oil change which was free from the dealership. Now I am ready for my second service because I am close to the 7,500 mile mark.

I went to my dealerships website and selected the "7,500 Recommended Service Package" only to find out they want to charge $604 for this service package! That seems very high for a car that's not a Ferrari and is just a little over half a year old.

This is a list of the service that's included for $604:

• Inspect Air Cleaner Filter
  • Inspect Air Conditioning Refrigerant(Additional charge if needed)
  • Inspect Air Conditioning Refrigerant(Additional charge if needed)
  • Inspect Battery Condition
  • Inspect Driveshafts and Boots
  • Inspect Exhaust Pipe and Muffler
  • Inspect Front Brake Disc/Pads, Calipers
  • Inspect Rear Brake Disc/Pads
  • Inspect Steering Gear Box, Linkage & Boots/Lower Arm Ball Joint, Upper Arm Ball Joint
  • Inspect Suspension Mounting Bolts
  • Inspect Vacuum Hose
  • Inspect brake lines, hoses and connections
  • Replace Climate Control Air Filter/Air Conditioning Filter (for evaporator and blower unit)
  • Replace Engine Oil and Filter
  • Tire Rotation
  • Add Fuel Additive (recommended only if TOP TIER Detergent Gasoline is not available. See owner's manual for details.)

I really just want the oil change and tire rotation. I don't disagree that all these things need "inspected", I am just shocked at the price tag. I can get a oil change, tire rotation, tire inspection, alignment check, brake inspection, battery test, and inspect belts & hoses at the same dealership for just $70.

So what on earth is making that service package cost so much? It's mainly all just inspections no replacements. I have a feeling if I pay that much they are just going to change my oil, rotate my tires and say "Everything checks out ok" because the car is still brand new...

Anyone else experience this or is just my dealership being greedy?

Attachments

·
Registered
320 Posts
That’s a greedy dealership. I have one local Hyundai dealer that also does this. The other two do not. The 30k mile inspection is what really matters. I inspect all this myself and notate it in my records, along side my oil change receipt for that interval. Even if you don’t know how to inspect this stuff, just write down that you did.

·
Registered
393 Posts
That’s bizarre!
That happens to me everytime I go in for oil
Change or any recall. They just come up with long list of recommended services etc and I deny all those up selling services scams unless it’s urgent issue.
That’s how stealership are, you have a brand new car everything should be mint condition.

Enjoy the ride

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
258 Posts
no bueno. honda dealerships I've been to offered all of that as a courtesy with each service visit, with the exception of one that offered that as part of a multi-point inspection package for $29.95 which, considering, isn't much.

$600+ though... phew!

for a while, i would only take my hondas to a Honda dealership for service. but then i bought new tires from firestone and enjoyed the service and professionalism (shocker) i got from them. so i broke and got an oil change once and they also perform that same multi-point inspection for that also... for free as part of any service. drive belts.... brakes... battery.... air filters... fluids... etc. so if you're really concerned, consider taking your ride to a firestone shop nearby. preferably ones with good reviews. i've taken my sonata there for an oil change too. would absolutely recommend.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks for the replies. that's what I thought - greedy dealership. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't overlooking anything that would justify that price before I brought it up with the dealership. I am not "mechanic savvy".

I know the dealership is always a bit higher and I usually don't mind paying that premium for guys who work on Hyundai's all day long. I had no issues with my 2015 Veloster RSpec - every package was priced reasonably. Thats why I wanted to double check.

·
Registered
1,808 Posts
To maintain your warranty all that you need to comply with are the items marked (R) replace. all the rest are inspections that have no bearing on your warranty, even if they inspect it the part can still fail tomorrow or if they do not inspect it and it fails it is still covered.

Also, is this the list from the owner's manual or the list provided by the dealership? The manual is the bible and the reason I ask is the cabin filter is normally replaced at 12-15,000 miles, not 7,500. You need to follow the maintenance schedule in the manual not that given to you by the dealership. dealership schedules have more frequent scheduled maintenance and are just a way to lighten your wallet. I noticed that you said the recommended schedule which to me implies it is the dealer's not the manufacturer's . Go to your manual and see what is stated there, THAT IS THE BIBLE for warranty, not the recommended schedule from the dealer.

Basically at 7,500 miles you need an oil and filter change and maybe a tire rotation and maybe a cabin air filter. The cabin filter can be done by anyone (DIY) that can open the glove compartment and pull out the old one for 1/3 of the cost of the dealer doing it.

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
At 7,500... are they joking... The way I stopped this... bring in your user manual and state "where in the owner service manual does it say to do these things !" The HYUNDAI service manual is what you have to do at the scheduled mileage. No where will you find this nonsense.

Then you will get the "these are the thing we recommend, they are not required." If they say these are required, time to call Hyundia and your local TV stations on consumer fraud.

In another post about this, I scanned the "suggested" items at the oil change mileage from my dealer. It goes to 140K and is not as bad as this. The car is not broken in until you hit 10K and they want $600.... This is where the STATE consumer commission should step in. That is a total joke. Our NJ cars get a 5 year inspection on new cars, they want to inspect your brakes at 7,500 ? ?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Ya I checked the manual and it had all those items I listed, but they were all marked with an "I", the only ones with an "R" were oil change and cabin air filter.

Check the picture I posted from their website - it says "Factory Required" at the top which implies the whole list is required.

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
7500,, the car still new

We do oil, and rotate, and a walk around

·
Registered
424 Posts
Get an oil change, maybe a tire rotation. 5 mins to take out cabin air filter from glove box, flip it upside down, tap a few times to remove any debris and put it back in. All done, and enjoy the savings.

·
Registered
689 Posts
Can you try a different dealerships website to see how much the 7500 service cost?

Here it is known as service 2 and cost $100 in Canada.

Call them to confirm, it could be that the website has errors.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
That. Is. Insane.

My dealer does an oil and filter for ~$35 and top off washer fluid, checks belts, air pressure, and a general "look over" for leaks, loose stuff, etc.

·
Registered
4,656 Posts
That. Is. Insane.

My dealer does an oil and filter for ~$35 and top off washer fluid, checks belts, air pressure, and a general "look over" for leaks, loose stuff, etc.
Same here! I go in the dealers website and print a coupon for $29.99 for oil and filter change.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
UPDATE

I just took it to the dealership and ask them why the heavy price tag. They laughed and said it was definitely an error on the website. They did the whole list for $70. whew

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
UPDATE

I just took it to the dealership and ask them why the heavy price tag. They laughed and said it was definitely an error on the website. They did the whole list for $70. whew
Yeah, that happens more than you would think. Just got a quote for some carpet install and the carpet PAD was listed at $7.11 per SQUARE FOOT! That would be over $14,000 for just the pad in a 2000sqft install.

uh, no.

·
Registered
2017 Sonata Sport 2.0T
2,043 Posts
UPDATE

Glad it worked out although there are a lot of dealers out there that make up their own service packages A-B-C and present them in a nice laminated binder as if it is a Hyundai factory requirement. I was at on that had recommended service A (best) $229, B(better) $189, C (good) $149 al they did was tack on extra aditives and wording to make it sound like you were getting more and they made it sound like this was required to maintain warranty.

As already posted here you only have to replace what is listed in your service manual booklet and for the sonatas in general it is oil/oil filter ($69 with Mobil 1 synthetic) every 3500-5000-75000 depending on use of driving (I do mine every 5000)Air filter ($12) and cabin Air filter ($15) every 10,000 and then a check list of inspection items that most dealers do free (my dealer calls it 64 pt inspection) and my dealer washes and vacuums the car 1-1.5 hr of my time.

I believe at 45,000 for turbo spark plugs are required and transmission fluid change at 60,000 but other than that only repair what is broken and on a new Hyundai other than wear items all is warrantied for 5-60,000

When ever you are presented with those "packages" question it and refer to the factory service in your documents. This is one of the reasons I enjoy my Hyundai $69 every 5000 miles for service (half that if i do it my self) and I maintain warranty. The MBZ C250 I owned before this had factory A and B service that rotated every 10,000 miles A service $ 199, B service 299 plus extras like $ 199 brake flush all required to maintain warranty

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
Egg on their face. They should have done it for free for telling them of the error. Seems to be a nice dealer for that price. But still at 7,200 miles all that ! !

·
Registered
333 Posts
My Dealer does a Oil/Filter, Washer Fluid and Car wash for 29.99. The inspection is a standard part of every service visit.. (That way, the might find warranty issues to get paid for by Hyundai.) This is why after 2 years, I still take my vehicle back to the dealer for Oil Changes.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts