Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
2017 Elantra SE, Popular and Tech Packages
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good morning all!

Thought I'd share this with everyone. I met a nice guy who turned out to be a Schaeffer's Oil sales rep and we got to talking about cars and eventually got on to engines and engine oil. He was kind enough to give me a couple of free UOA test kits for Schaeffer's oil analysis "Webscope PM" program. As we're preparing to go on vacation here in about 10 days, I went ahead and changed the oil in our Elantra and took a sample to send off.

Couple of notes:

1) This was a 7,000 mile run on Amsoil Signature Series 5W-30. Well under what Amsoil states the oil is good for, but I'm not one extend OCI while under warranty. The filter was OEM.

2) I was worried that this sample may be tainted due to leaching from the Fumoto drain valve I have installed and I also use a rubber hose to drain the oil. That doesn't seem to have happened though, so :thumbsup:

3) No TBN or TAN because that's a separate, and more expensive, analysis kit. I'm not one to complain though; don't look a gift horse in the mouth.

4) This run was roughly 80/20 city/highway driving. My wife has been driving this car since we moved to DFW and she uses it on her hour long, 13 mile excursion to work.

All-in-all, this looks pretty good to me. I was curious about how these engines would age and it looks like everything is wearing well. I also very much appreciate the good conversation and experience I had with that Schaeffer's rep. I've used Amsoil for a long time, but I might give him some of my business too.

Edit: Used my borescope for the first time in a while and took a picture through the oil fill cap. Looks good, though a 22,000 miles engine should!

Attachments

·
Registered
300 Posts
Looks like a good oil with plenty of moly and boron left.

IMO, running an extended drain oil like Amsoil for only 7k is a waste. Any off-the-shelf syn can handle that. But can't blame someone for wanting the best for their car. :beer:

·
Premium Member
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Looks like a good oil with plenty of moly and boron left.

IMO, running an extended drain oil like Amsoil for only 7k is a waste. Any off-the-shelf syn can handle that. But can't blame someone for wanting the best for their car. :beer:
Kind of a late response, my apologies. Amsoil can definitely go longer, but I don't necessarily consider it as a waste to run it within recommended intervals especially while under warranty.

It is a very good product, although it's hard to know (if not impossible) what's "best". I really like their products but I don't much care for the "dealer" sales model. Unfortunately, whenever Amsoil gets brought up people are either over-the-top gushy about it with fairly spectacular claims of its brilliance, or people can't stand it and don't think it's worth the money no matter what the price. It's kind of a shame, really. Personally, I just like to support American owned companies wherever possible and have had really good results (such as this UOA) with their fluids.

All-in-all, can't complain here. It held up well and the engine is still quiet as can be. We are now at just under 27k miles and couldn't be happier with this car.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,808 Posts
My only concern would be the high level of silicon. This could still be breaking in with only 22,000 miles on the engine but that seems kind of high to me. If you do more UOA this number should be decreasing in the future. remember, UOA is trend analysis, cannot read much in to one sample.

IMO don't waste your money on Amsoil or even Schaeffer oil if your are going to adhere to the warranty OCI. Any off the shelf synthetic oil will suffice like Mobil !, Pennzoil etc. With the rebates will be a lot less expensive and for your OCI they will be absolutely fine. Amsoil and Schaeffers are great oils, just way overpriced IMO especially if you are going to do warranty OCIs.

·
Premium Member
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My only concern would be the high level of silicon. This could still be breaking in with only 22,000 miles on the engine but that seems kind of high to me. If you do more UOA this number should be decreasing in the future. remember, UOA is trend analysis, cannot read much in to one sample.

IMO don't waste your money on Amsoil or even Schaeffer oil if your are going to adhere to the warranty OCI. Any off the shelf synthetic oil will suffice like Mobil !, Pennzoil etc. With the rebates will be a lot less expensive and for your OCI they will be absolutely fine. Amsoil and Schaeffers are great oils, just way overpriced IMO especially if you are going to do warranty OCIs.
I believe Amsoil has bit of silicon in it out of the bottle, so I'm not too concerned with the levels yet. I'll monitor it going forward, however, just to make sure it doesn't increase.

I've used all different brands of oil in the past and honestly, I agree with you, they're all similar. However, I have always liked the add pack in Amsoil and I'm not concerned over the $10 or so per oil change and I'm happy to purchase from small, American companies. That said, I'm not going to tell you about how great it is and how it's the "best" oil around :grin2:.

·
Registered
1,808 Posts
I was an Amosil dealer for many, many years, now just a preferred customer but I no longer use their oil. I stopped when the availability of other synthetics came on the market at much less cost. I love their gear oils and ATF products and their PI but just so overpriced for the oil and the shipping is a killer on top of it. It was fine in the 90s when other synthetics were not available but now, especially since the majority of people refuse to go beyond the 10,000 mile OCI, it is just so overpriced as to not make it competitive. I met with a dealer last week at a car show and he is using the XL line in his spouse's car and doing a 5,000 mile OCI. My God, why spend that kind of money on XL and do a 5,000 mile OCI, he says because it is severe duty. Any Off the shelf synthetic can do 5,000 mile OCIs at half the cost.

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
Thanks for sharing. Love Amsoil transmission fluid and have used some of Shaeffer's products. Both great in their own way. Looking forward to the next UOA.

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
Free UOA's are great... use 'em whenever.

Without TAN/TBN/visc/oxidation/...., I wouldn't bother extending the interval with ANY oil. So, stick with your <7500 mile interval as recommended by your auto manufacturer.

"Si" is not an issue. Your wear PPM is so low that I'd wager that all that SI is antifoam or defoamer, which is a common additive in many oils in various PPM's.

Amsoil is good stuff, whether you care to use it or not. Filetmignon is good too, if you don't care for drivethru franchise unknown mystery pink slime meat burgers.

Schaeffers is good stuff. Neighbors shop stocks/uses it.

Some of us also don't care to support big oil lobby or walfart. So, these boutique oils are a great option if you don't mind spending a couple extra bucks.

Reactions: NDSE and EdmondEsq
1 - 8 of 8 Posts