Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I am about to go in for a 60k mile service on my 2010 Elantra and was hoping to have some idea before I go in what would be absolutely necessary to get done from the recommended maintenance and what I may be able to skip on to save some money. Any insight would be very useful! Thank you!

·
Banned
1,850 Posts
what I may be able to skip on to save some money. Any insight would be very useful! Thank you!
READ the manual. Don't listen to the "service advisor".

If you are really in DIRE financial shape, just change the oil.

If NOT, then don't skip anything. You might end up paying more later.

·
6,836 Posts
Hi and :00000732: Don't mind Easy Rider's use of capital letters, which is the equivalent of yelling on the Internet. :rolleyes:

However, the advice is solid. Preventative maintenance is always the best way to go if you want to get the best life out of your car.

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
We do :
oil
atf
coolant
timing belt and 2 drive belt
rotate/balance
air filter
HVAC filter
blades
misc inspection
platinum plugs if equipped
wire set if doing plugs

If IRIDIUM plugs, then those done at 90 service with us

Align is up-sale

Reactions: dlucy67

·
Banned
1,850 Posts
Don't mind Easy Rider's use of capital letters, which is the equivalent of yelling on the Internet. :rolleyes:
And some people are overly sensitive and create issues where none really exist. :)

ALL CAPS IS YELLING.

An occasional WORD in caps is only for emphasis....like you would do in a normal spoken sentence.

·
Banned
998 Posts
ALL CAPS IS YELLING.
Easy Rider's use of capital letters, which is the equivalent of yelling on the Internet. :rolleyes:
Is it?
I think it is more like pushing the OP to do something what he/she is not used to. Or to simply imply that one easy thing to do is to open the little book and find out yourself.

Did I just take ER's side?

Anyway, let's see...

The question is plain - what is the 60k service, right?

IF (on could say if or if) we told the OP that the service require new harmonic balancer, spark plugs, wires, and coils, fuel filter, transmission flush, new brakes, new tires, and all this crap - would the OP really take it as a good thing and really replace those items?

My point is - ask, trust, but verify.
Open the owners manual, read what must be done at 60k miles and that is the bare minimum.
If the transmission fluid looks bad (smell, color) - change it too. And similar with other extras. Just make sure it is justified...

·
6,836 Posts
Honestly, I found Easy Rider's tone extremely rude. He is banned now for his constantly rude behavior all over the forums; this was a collaboration of thoughts from all mods, not just myself.

·
Registered
544 Posts
Hello.

Just spotted that the, not so easy-going, Easy Rider has been asked not to post any more (is that a polite way of saying banned ? :)). I'm not a saint but did have to bite my tongue lots of times when Easy Rider kept popping up in other people's topics and giving the benefit of his extensive advice (and at nine and a half posts per day, there was plenty to choose from).....for example in the engine oil discussion in the i10 section, which, like engine oil, did get a bit heated. And do recall a mod. asking him to take it easy on the language quite soon after his subscription here.

However, my question is, what stops a poster from re-subscribing under a different name? I noted that, apart from his prolific posting here, he was somewhat evident elsewhere in numerous other forums under the same (or very similar), name/s....and was banned from them too for much the same reason.

I'm sure there's an answer but not being very tech savvy I don't understand what it might be.

Thanks.

·
Registered
740 Posts
Honestly, I found Easy Rider's tone extremely rude. He is banned now for his constantly rude behavior all over the forums; this was a collaboration of thoughts from all mods, not just myself.
Could you consider maybe just giving him a warning and bring him back? he was a useful member on the forums.

·
6,836 Posts
Could you consider maybe just giving him a warning and bring him back? he was a useful member on the forums.
I did not ban Easy Rider, nor can I bring him back. It was not my singular decision to ban him; it was multiple complaints from multiple mods adding up over time. Easy Rider's comments, both good and bad, were all over the forums. You'll need to speak to Montego about that. I doubt he'll oblige, though.

·
Registered
1,803 Posts
We do :
oil
atf
coolant
timing belt and 2 drive belt
rotate/balance
air filter
HVAC filter
blades
misc inspection
platinum plugs if equipped
wire set if doing plugs

If IRIDIUM plugs, then those done at 90 service with us

Align is up-sale
Wow, items that are much sooner (mileage wise) in the above list are plug/wires, coolant, timing belt/belts, ATF. Must be a dealership "Recommended Service Schedule" not the manufacturers. The rest of the items are only if they have not been done recently.

·
6,836 Posts
Feel free to disagree. After his first temp ban, he made efforts to be better, but some were still offput by his strong opinionated tone in every single thread, sometimes inciting arguments with other members, the senior mods and administrator of this forum saw enough negativity and uncooperativeness over time to see to his banning.

You're free to say you don't like it, but it's not going to change the mods' minds.

Now, let's keep this thread on the original topic please.

·
Banned
998 Posts
I went through his old posts and I saw nothing wrong.
Just spotted that the, not so easy-going, Easy Rider has been asked not to post any more (is that a polite way of saying banned ? :)).

I do not think that should be a subject of open discussion...

Now, let's keep this thread on the original topic please.
Thank you.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I would opine that some of the service items on sbr711's post are dealer upcharge items not listed in the owners manual maintenance schedule. Timing belt at 60K, really?

·
Registered
283 Posts
I would opine that some of the service items on sbr711's post are dealer upcharge items not listed in the owners manual maintenance schedule. Timing belt at 60K, really? Yes
No, his list looks pretty good.

Take a look at your manual, 60K miles is the norm for a Hyundai to have a timing belt change

·
Registered
16 Posts
overkill

No, his list looks pretty good.

Take a look at your manual, 60K miles is the norm for a Hyundai to have a timing belt change
My manual specifies replacing the timing belt at 60K only in severe service. Normal service is 90K.

·
Banned
998 Posts
My manual specifies replacing the timing belt at 60K only in severe service. Normal service is 90K.
It goes by both - time and distance.
Mine states 90k miles as well, except severe conditions, which in turn are created in such way that every single driver drives in severe conditions.

So, dusty roads? Salty roads? Hot? Cold? Wet? stop and go? highway? all of it is under severe... I find it annoying.

·
Registered
283 Posts
It goes by both - time and distance.
Mine states 90k miles as well, except severe conditions, which in turn are created in such way that every single driver drives in severe conditions.

So, dusty roads? Salty roads? Hot? Cold? Wet? stop and go? highway? all of it is under severe... I find it annoying.
Yes the list makes it very rare and close to impossible for a driver not to have severe driving conditions.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts