Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
OH, YUCK!!! :frozen: It makes me shiver with fright, and I've seen some pretty gunked-up engines.

I did the engine clean idea a long time ago on a Corvair (I said a long time ago, didn't I?) using kerosene. I let the oil level drop down almost to the add mark and put a quart of kerosene in the engine, then let it idle for a minute or so. I drained the crankcase, refilled with cheapo oil, idled for another 4-5 minutes, then drained it and put in new high quality (for 1969) Havoline 10W-30 with a new filter. It was amazing how the engine would go 5,000 miles and the oil barely get dirty after that. I'm not too sure if I'd do it on my car now, but I wasn't too worried about the Corvair.

·
SENIOR MODERATOR
9,284 Posts
I saw that shortly after it was originally posted and I agree...EWWWWW. I show that thread to anybody who says that oil changes are a scam perpetuated by manufacturers.

·
Registered
421 Posts
Unfortunately there are irresponsible owners with every make and brand. That thread just goes to prove that just because someone can afford to buy a car, it doesn't mean they can afford to maintain it. The pictures and story were just plain sad to see/read and the owner should be flogged. The worst part is that he probably can't afford another car or the cost of repairing it properly so that will just be another car that will be filling our landfills/scrap yards. On the flip side, I wonder how many more miles the engine had before it seized? That's impressive in itself.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts