Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'd like to poll the longer term owners to see if there are any lingering concerns with their vehicle or if they've seen the issues I still have. I'm reaching 60k mi in a couple weeks and I'd like the dealer to address any remaining issues before the btb warranty expires.
For me:
1) sunroof creaking when cooler than 70F and the car is twisted due to turns/bumps; this is REALLY annoying.
2) black plastic/rubber trim around sunroof developed minor cracking
3) small amount of dirt/green moss around the rear lights between the lamp housing and the body panels. Is not removed from a car wash, I'm not sure if this is inside the lamp housing or not.
4) lingering CEL (from carbon canister leak)

Anyone else have these issues or other longer term issues that should be addressed by the dealer?

·
Registered
111 Posts
While I'm not near the end of my warranty yet, the only issue I have left is a creaking sunroof.

As for 2 and 3, definitely none of that showing yet on my car but I tend to bucket was once a week...sort of obsessively!

For number 4, I've not had that issue either.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I'd like to poll the longer term owners to see if there are any lingering concerns with their vehicle or if they've seen the issues I still have. I'm reaching 60k mi in a couple weeks and I'd like the dealer to address any remaining issues before the btb warranty expires.
For me:
1) sunroof creaking when cooler than 70F and the car is twisted due to turns/bumps; this is REALLY annoying.
3) small amount of dirt/green moss around the rear lights between the lamp housing and the body panels. Is not removed from a car wash, I'm not sure if this is inside the lamp housing or not.

Anyone else have these issues or other longer term issues that should be addressed by the dealer?
We're approaching 40,000 on our Sonata and the only issues are #3 (and I'm another one who bucket wash's it every week) and the XM traffic not displaying correctly - this even after the dealer replaced the entire Nav unit.

·
Registered
660 Posts
I'm approaching 69k on mine. The only issue that I have had is the gaskets cracking but no leaks, even in a car wash. I did buy the extended warranty to 100k miles knowing that I would be putting a lot of miles on it so I should have another 31k to go. Everything else is working fine for me!

Chuck

·
Registered
198 Posts
Reading all these posts is making me really glad that I got the Limited Hybrid without the sunroof (aside from my other reasons for opting out of it). Thats crazy that the seals/strippings are already cracking at all of your mileages.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Reading all these posts is making me really glad that I got the Limited Hybrid without the sunroof (aside from my other reasons for opting out of it). Thats crazy that the seals/strippings are already cracking at all of your mileages.
My sentiments exactly on my Santa Fe w/o the panoramic glass moon roof. Just more opportunity for sun/water to wreak havoc.

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
A TSB was just recently released regarding the noisy sunroof issue:

DESCRIPTION: On some 2012~2013 Sonata (YF) and 2012 Sonata Hybrid (YF-HEV) vehicles with panoramic sunroof, a slight creaking or rattle noise in the roof may be heard. If the source of the noise is around the roof area on top of the B-pillar, follow the procedure outlined in this bulletin to eliminate the noise.
This basically uses "acoustic felt" and Loctite to secure the sunroof cross-members to stop the creaking.
GROUP
NUMBER
BODY (Interior & Exterior)
13-BD-002
DATE
MODEL
AUGUST 2013
2012 – 2013 SONATA
(YF & YF-HEV)
SONATA PANORAMIC SUNROOF NOISE
Applicable Vehicles:
[FONT=Arial,Arial][FONT=Arial,Arial]MY12~13 SONATA equipped with panoramic sunroof
 Produced from June 1, 2011 to August 7, 2013
MY12 SONATA HEV
 Produced from June 1, 2011 to May 1, 2012
[/FONT][/FONT]

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks Vinny. I saw that one... odd that they didn't include MY11. Anyways, my dealer's had my car for a week now for all the listed problems. They're still not done, so that's either good news and they're taking the time to research and fix every problem or it's bad and they're struggling to fix it... In any case, it's probably not another 'could not identify the issue' responses.

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
Wow, that one slipped by me. I didn't even notice the 2011's were not included on that TSB as I just assumed there were no changes with the sunroof configurations on all three production years. I apologize about that. I hope all your bugs get worked out as us 2011 owners are the reliability guinea pigs and only time will tell how they hold up post bumper-to-bumper warranty expiration. I have had great reliability results with my previous Hyundais and hope my Sonata continues on that path now that they seem to have most of the bugs worked out.
Good luck and hope all goes well for you.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Thanks Vinny. I saw that one... odd that they didn't include MY11. Anyways, my dealer's had my car for a week now for all the listed problems. They're still not done, so that's either good news and they're taking the time to research and fix every problem or it's bad and they're struggling to fix it... In any case, it's probably not another 'could not identify the issue' responses.
It's a nasty fix. Taking down a headliner involves removing all A,B,C pillar trims (upper and lower on the B pillar), all light fixtures and roof handles, weatherstrips on all four doors (including sill plate moldings that hold the weatherstrips to the bottom of the rocker at each door). This allows the headliner do drop and then come out the passenger door at an angle. It's a two person job to protect the dash and console from damage. There's a TSB for 2011's with or without sunroof that shows what needs to happen because some of those cars had bubbling headliners due to poor adhesion of the headliner material to the backing. The only fix was to replace the headliner. The TSB actually shows that the dealer must use tape with adhesive on one side that pulls off leaving no residue. This is to protect the dash and headliner. My dealer didn't use it once, and they took the headliner down three times, and on the fourth attempt, they replaced the entire panoramic roof, only for it to leak until it was funally repurchased under the MD lemon law for the sunroof and loss of power issues totaling over 100 days out of service.

So, my point, not to pout which I did plenty of here, but to give you a heads up look at everything I mentioned that requires teardown and re-install. Check it for fit, check for broken clips on the A,B,C, pillar trims, check for tears on your headliner, and check your dash and console for gouges. Whether it's fixed or not will take a few weeks to know, because it may come out of their service dept silent, only for the creak to recur after a few weeks due to body flex, which is the root cause of the panoramic roof creak in the first place. I hope you took photos of your entire car before it went in. If not, make sure you inspect as well as possible for damage before leaving their service dept, even though they'll hand you an invoice and the keys and hope you just leave without loooking too hard. Don't make that mistake.

This is a delicate job that can be done without damage if the tech is good and conscientious and works clean. The TSB fix itself is a band-aid that may or may not work in the first place. Sometimes, the best you might get is a reduced level of the problem.

It's typical of Hyundai to not include the 2011's which are no less riddles with the issue than the 2012's and even the 2013's. If you must have a Hyundai, the best way to go in any model is to skip the panoramic roof (which HMA loves to put in upper level trims).
The highest level YF hybrid comes with a small sunroof standard, and the pano is optional, but I challenge you to find a hybrid Limited without the panoramic roof option on the lot.
Good luck.

·
Registered
2,516 Posts
Good luck Reglee on that sun roof. We have had our car in the garage from day one without any issues with the roof but only have 29,000 miles on it.

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
It's a nasty fix. Taking down a headliner involves removing all A,B,C pillar trims (upper and lower on the B pillar), all light fixtures and roof handles, weatherstrips on all four doors (including sill plate moldings that hold the weatherstrips to the bottom of the rocker at each door). This allows the headliner do drop and then come out the passenger door at an angle. It's a two person job to protect the dash and console from damage. There's a TSB for 2011's with or without sunroof that shows what needs to happen because some of those cars had bubbling headliners due to poor adhesion of the headliner material to the backing. The only fix was to replace the headliner. The TSB actually shows that the dealer must use tape with adhesive on one side that pulls off leaving no residue. This is to protect the dash and headliner. My dealer didn't use it once, and they took the headliner down three times, and on the fourth attempt, they replaced the entire panoramic roof, only for it to leak until it was funally repurchased under the MD lemon law for the sunroof and loss of power issues totaling over 100 days out of service.

So, my point, not to pout which I did plenty of here, but to give you a heads up look at everything I mentioned that requires teardown and re-install. Check it for fit, check for broken clips on the A,B,C, pillar trims, check for tears on your headliner, and check your dash and console for gouges. Whether it's fixed or not will take a few weeks to know, because it may come out of their service dept silent, only for the creak to recur after a few weeks due to body flex, which is the root cause of the panoramic roof creak in the first place. I hope you took photos of your entire car before it went in. If not, make sure you inspect as well as possible for damage before leaving their service dept, even though they'll hand you an invoice and the keys and hope you just leave without loooking too hard. Don't make that mistake.

This is a delicate job that can be done without damage if the tech is good and conscientious and works clean. The TSB fix itself is a band-aid that may or may not work in the first place. Sometimes, the best you might get is a reduced level of the problem.

It's typical of Hyundai to not include the 2011's which are no less riddles with the issue than the 2012's and even the 2013's. If you must have a Hyundai, the best way to go in any model is to skip the panoramic roof (which HMA loves to put in upper level trims).
The highest level YF hybrid comes with a small sunroof standard, and the pano is optional, but I challenge you to find a hybrid Limited without the panoramic roof option on the lot.
Good luck.
Without getting too far off the subject, would you mind if I asked if the MD Lemon Law made Hyundai purchase your car for the full amount you originally paid, or is it prorated for mileage and use?
Thanks.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Actually, last time they replaced my headliner, someone must have forgotten to change their gloves... my headliner was quite dirty. I warned them about it the next time but I didn't complain too much about it.

2011's got left out of the lifetime battery warranty also. We're also the few Sonata Hybrid's without bluelink.

·
Banned
694 Posts
This forum is absolutely the best venue to get up-to-date information about Sonatas but that doesn’t mean it’s ALL good.

As evidenced by this egregious statement from the under informed member bad self:
"The highest level YF hybrid comes with a small sunroof standard, and the pano is optional, but I challenge you to find a hybrid Limited without the panoramic roof option on the lot."

First, the only sunroof available is the pano:

https://www.hyundaiusa.com/sonata-hybrid/pricing.aspx

I have never seen a small sunroof on any Sonata at any dealer I've visited.

Second, there are plenty of Limited hybrids available without the sunroof option; I saw four @ Bob Dunn Hyundai in Greensboro, NC last week.

Please do not let this bad info stop you from considering an excellent mid-sized hybrid sedan.

·
Registered
198 Posts
This forum is absolutely the best venue to get up-to-date information about Sonatas but that doesn’t mean it’s ALL good.

As evidenced by this egregious statement from the under informed member bad self:
"The highest level YF hybrid comes with a small sunroof standard, and the pano is optional, but I challenge you to find a hybrid Limited without the panoramic roof option on the lot."

First, the only sunroof available is the pano:

https://www.hyundaiusa.com/sonata-hybrid/pricing.aspx

I have never seen a small sunroof on any Sonata at any dealer I've visited.

Second, there are plenty of Limited hybrids available without the sunroof option; I saw four @ Bob Dunn Hyundai in Greensboro, NC last week.

Please do not let this bad info stop you from considering an excellent mid-sized hybrid sedan.
I have the 2013 Hybrid Limited w/o the pano option and absolutely LOVE it. I don't have to worry about leaking sunroofs or wind noise. Plus I have many other reasons for getting no pano, including the fact that I plan on putting racks on my roof for bikes.

G

·
I think badself gave some good info overall. Not so much on the challenge part but the repair info was priceless and so true. The panoramic roof option should only be considered by leases. Imo

G

·
For me:

Holy cow you put some serious miles on your car! No issues yet but im only at 11k with 10 months of ownership. Still need to get her in for ecu update and fuel odor though.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Holy cow you put some serious miles on your car! No issues yet but im only at 11k with 10 months of ownership. Still need to get her in for ecu update and fuel odor though.
I wonder if your fuel odor is due to nvld or charcoal canister leak. That's what I just got replaced (after several nvld replacements... turns out it was the canister).

·
Banned
694 Posts
I think badself gave some good info overall. Not so much on the challenge part but the repair info was priceless and so true. The panoramic roof option should only be considered by leases. Imo

I guess . . . . .
but when someone is SO wrong about something that is SO obvious
I become very skeptical.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts